How to change Rox settings in Fossapup 64?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

sansonet

How to change Rox settings in Fossapup 64?

Post by sansonet »

I used macpup before and I was able to set Rox-filler windows so they always stay on top so when I have browser window opened and rox filler window or file on top of it, I can copy something from browser and paste it in file, etc. Right now I switched to Fossapup 64 and as soon I click any place on browser, all other windows disappearing. I can select "layer above" on window menu, but I need do it every time. Could not save it even after clicking "Display" and "save current display settings" in Rox filler.
Another problem is rename box - its too small by default, I was able to save my preferred position in macpup, but cant do it in Fossapup.
Those screnshots from macpup settings, I like to do the same in Fossapup, maybe by editing configuration files or installing something that will add those settings. Is this possible?

Attachments
ScreenShot46.jpg
ScreenShot46.jpg (56.32 KiB) Viewed 481 times
ScreenShot47.jpg
ScreenShot47.jpg (57.15 KiB) Viewed 481 times
ScreenShot48.jpg
ScreenShot48.jpg (60.06 KiB) Viewed 481 times
mivison

Re: How to change Rox settings in Fossapup 64?

Post by mivison »

Hi, my Rox menu doesn't look like yours.

Attachments
Screenshot(1).png
Screenshot(1).png (98.98 KiB) Viewed 445 times
sansonet

Post by sansonet »

Pictures attached in first message are menus from Macpup 550. My menu on Fossapup looks like yours and missing those options. But I like to have it or help with editing configuration of rox windows manually. Specially stacking options and rename box (or auction window) options. I like size of rename box like on screnshoot in my first message, it opens like this by default after I checked "remember size and position".
This is Fossapup menu

Attachments
ScreenShot59.jpg
ScreenShot59.jpg (63.3 KiB) Viewed 437 times
mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Hi sansonet, & welcome back.

macpup employed the e17 window manager rather than jwm. Unfortunately, AFAIK no one has worked on e17 under Puppies for quite some time and it doesn't appear to be in Ubuntu Focal Fossa's repo. There was some recent work on tiling window managers on the 'Old Forum'. But I don't think they could be ported to a 64-bit sytem like Fossapup64.

Roxset is still available, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 258#334258 but I don't know if it will work with the current version of rox. Backup your SaveFile/Folder before trying.

All I can add is to try to get use to using virtual desktops. Your taskbar probably enables three. Open your first application in one, your second in another. You can then copy from one virtual desktop, click to switch to the other, then paste.

sansonet

Post by sansonet »

mikeslr wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:52 pm

macpup employed the e17 window manager rather than jwm. Unfortunately, AFAIK no one has worked on e17 under Puppies for quite some time and it doesn't appear to be in Ubuntu Focal Fossa's repo.

Yes, i know, I always used macpup but it becomes too old and outdated, lot of stuff not works or installs properly, so I decided to switch to Fossapup. Now Im learning to use JWM desktop and trying to get some options that I had on Macpup. Thank you link to roxset, I will test it later, after saving my current set up, of course :)

galbi

Post by galbi »

Hi, not sure if this is useful to you, but...

Suppose you have open Firefox and Leafpad (the small text editor). When you highlight some text in Firefox, the Leafpad window is minimised to the task bar.

Then you can drag the highlighted text to the task bar over the icon of Leafpad, stay there for a second (without releasing the mouse button) and quickly, Leafpad will pop up maximised and you can drop the text there.

Sounds complicated, but is easy with little practice. Works on most window managers, even in MS Windows.

Hope it helps.

Saludos

puddlemoon

Post by puddlemoon »

So cool that you are still using macpup!
That was one of the first puppies i installed and i still miss it..
I just installed it again on a (very) old macbook.
You can install the latest enlightenment de from the ppm but it could be another story getting it to work well.
Also I know it has changed a lot since E17 and bodhilinux has created a fork of E17, moksha...
There is some rather old install instructions for moksha on debian here but not sure how adjustment would be needed... (beyond me for now)

anyway cool to see another macpup fan!

mikeslr

Controlling multiple Window Locations & other aspects

Post by mikeslr »

Hi sansonet,

Sorry about the late reply. Just stumbled upon recobayu's post, viewtopic.php?p=6342#p6342. It provides a link to a stickyjwm-bb64.pet which works under Fossapup64. I wondered what stickyjwm was and found the old thread here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 521#524521. The moniker "stickyjwm" It may be what you are looking for. I'll do some 'house-keeping' so that future searchers know more about it and can find it.

If not stickyjwm, than perhaps windowplacementpack, explained on this thread, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 860#796860 with this screenshot accompanying;

windowplacementpack.png
windowplacementpack.png (254.44 KiB) Viewed 356 times

Return to “Beginners Help”