Spreadsheet Templates

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

Spreadsheet Templates

Post by mikeslr »

Gnumeric is usually built into Puppies. It is well respected: AFAIK, no Puppy Fan has ever reported any problem. There are also available several Independent Office Suites which include Spreadsheets: LibreOffice, OpenOffice, Softmaker/FreeOffice are often mentioned.

You can, of course, create from scratch a customized spreadsheet to manage data. Spreadsheet software, however, has been around since 1989. In the last 30 years, especially with spread of the internet, many templates for managing data for a variety of projects have been made available. A little search may reveal one meeting your needs OOTB, or with a little editing, that are free to download and use.

If memory serves, only those in slk or xls format could be used in gnumeric.

Some free templates included an embedded advertisement which could not be deleted. That may not be the thing you want to send to your business associates. The work-around was to create a blank spreadsheet, then cut & paste those rows and columns which you wanted from the downloaded template.
galbi

Re: Spreadsheet Templates

Post by galbi »

mikeslr wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:11 pm If memory serves, only those in slk or xls format could be used in gnumeric.
Open Document Spreadsheed (.ods) files also :thumbup:
Puppyt

Re: Spreadsheet Templates

Post by Puppyt »

Gnumeric is certainly a "diamond in the rough" when it comes to FOSS spreadsheet software, IMHO. I have *never* had a problem with it and files from across different, sometimes proprietary formats are opened without drama. Seamlessly opens older XLS formats that have required hunting down additional translators to work in recent versions of "excel"(!?) It's comparatively small in size and opens faster than you might expect. A rare "desert island" pick, for mine.
mikeslr

Re: Spreadsheet Templates in ods format

Post by mikeslr »

galbi wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:09 pm
mikeslr wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:11 pm If memory serves, only those in slk or xls format could be used in gnumeric.
Open Document Spreadsheed (.ods) files also :thumbup:
:thumbup2: :thumbup: With Microsoft dominating the business world, I thought of Excel templates and the ability to use them OOTB. Your post revealed that my thinking was too narrow minded. Expanding my search revealed
100+ Templates for OpenOffice and LibreOffice https://www.vertex42.com/blog/news/temp ... ffice.html.

I didn't check. But vertex may be the company whose templates contained the embedded advertising whose workaround was mentioned above.

Return to “Business”