Can't watch YouTube live stream news with Palemoon in Precise (Solved)

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

amethyst

Can't watch YouTube live stream news with Palemoon in Precise (Solved)

Post by amethyst »

I was wondering if anyone has been successful watching live youtube news streams (like Sky News live) using Precise Puppy with any browser. I'm using the same recent version of Palemoon on all my Puppys with the same settings. With Precise though, I have this problem with realtime live streaming. I get a " your browser does not recognize the available codecs" message. Youtube videos play without any problems. It seems that when doing live streaming, the avc1 codec is used so I installed a newer av codec pack but with no luck. I get the same problem when using jrb's Precise Light.

OscarTalks

Re: Watching youtube live stream news with Precise

Post by OscarTalks »

Hello,
One of the issues with Precise is that it has old libav libraries instead of ffmpeg libraries. This was an Ubuntu decision which was OK at the time but causes some limitations now. I don't use Precise but I do have a remastered Wheezy Pup which I use all the time and which had the same libav as Precise. That plays YouTube live streams OK in several browsers including Palemoon, Firefox and Vivaldi. What I have done with that Wheezy is add my own version of ffmpeg 2.8.17 which I compiled from source with shared libraries enabled. This would probably work in Precise in the same way. The version numbers are different so they do not clash with libav. Later versions of ffmpeg are available of course, but these introduce other problems by being too new. Also, you may want to try Vivaldi or one of the other Chromium based browsers because these have their own internal ffmpeg library for some of the codec handling. You may find that latest versions of these browsers won't work though and you have to use older ones.
There is a vivaldi-1.9.818.50-i386 as .pet or .sfs which works in my Wheezy here:-
https://yadi.sk/d/euoIiDRDqcFnK

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

OscarTalks wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:07 pm

Hello,
One of the issues with Precise is that it has old libav libraries instead of ffmpeg libraries. This was an Ubuntu decision which was OK at the time but causes some limitations now. I don't use Precise but I do have a remastered Wheezy Pup which I use all the time and which had the same libav as Precise. That plays YouTube live streams OK in several browsers including Palemoon, Firefox and Vivaldi. What I have done with that Wheezy is add my own version of ffmpeg 2.8.17 which I compiled from source with shared libraries enabled. This would probably work in Precise in the same way. The version numbers are different so they do not clash with libav. Later versions of ffmpeg are available of course, but these introduce other problems by being too new. Also, you may want to try Vivaldi or one of the other Chromium based browsers because these have their own internal ffmpeg library for some of the codec handling. You may find that latest versions of these browsers won't work though and you have to use older ones.
There is a vivaldi-1.9.818.50-i386 as .pet or .sfs which works in my Wheezy here:-
https://yadi.sk/d/euoIiDRDqcFnK

Thanks. I would like to try that version of ffmpeg first. Can I download it somewhere? Cheers.

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

The ffmpeg package for Wheezy was just a personal build that I did for my remaster at the time. I may have something that I did for Precise but it would take me some time to investigate where I put it and if it needs other dependencies and such like. I will try to do that, but meantime there is one other thing you can try. In Palemoon go to about:config and search for the setting media.libavcodec.allow-obsolete and set this value to true. Restart the browser and see if this fixes anything.

EDIT:- Booted a fresh frugal of Precise 5.7.1 and installed Palemoon 28.16.0
YouTube live stream of Sky News UK did not play
But I made the settings change described above
The stream now plays.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

OscarTalks wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:41 pm

The ffmpeg package for Wheezy was just a personal build that I did for my remaster at the time. I may have something that I did for Precise but it would take me some time to investigate where I put it and if it needs other dependencies and such like. I will try to do that, but meantime there is one other thing you can try. In Palemoon go to about:config and search for the setting media.libavcodec.allow-obsolete and set this value to true. Restart the browser and see if this fixes anything.

EDIT:- Booted a fresh frugal of Precise 5.7.1 and installed Palemoon 28.16.0
YouTube live stream of Sky News UK did not play
But I made the settings change described above
The stream now plays.

The config change works. Thanks :thumbup:

JASpup

Re: Can't watch YouTube live stream news with Palemoon in Precise (Solved)

Post by JASpup »

amethyst wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:01 am

I was wondering if anyone has been successful watching live youtube news streams (like Sky News live) using Precise Puppy with any browser.

If any browser would do, I would use Firefox.

Pale Moon Skepticism

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

JASpup wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:56 am

I was wondering if anyone has been successful watching live youtube news streams (like Sky News live) using Precise Puppy with any browser.

If any browser would do, I would use Firefox.

Pale Moon Skepticism

To get Firefox going in an old Puppy requires upgrades to the system (and if you are lucky it may work). Palemoon still works OOTB.

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

amethyst wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:38 am

To get Firefox going in an old Puppy requires upgrades to the system (and if you are lucky it may work). Palemoon still works OOTB.

Here's a Firefox 79 .pet for Precise: https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... recise.pet

Linux Über Alles

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Thanks, I already have the standard version 80 something on my machine and that does not work on Precise OOTB. So besides being an older version you are suggesting, I'm pretty sure that offering of Firefox has been manipulated (libraries, etc. added) to get it working with Precise. I know the newest version of Firefox requires apulse for audio which Precise does not have so there's one thing that needs to be installed. Firefox is also huge, I think I'll stick with Palemoon for now.

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

Firefox is a bloated cruiseliner.

I just uninstalled single-digit Internet Explorer from XP and gained < 5mb.

That excuse I can empathize.

Linux Über Alles

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

I was wondering if anyone has been successful watching live youtube news streams (like Sky News live) using Precise Puppy with any browser. I'm using the same recent version of Palemoon on all my Puppys with the same settings. With Precise though, I have this problem with realtime live streaming. I get a " your browser does not recognize the available codecs" message. Youtube videos play without any problems. It seems that when doing live streaming, the avc1 codec is used so I installed a newer av codec pack but with no luck. I get the same problem when using jrb's Precise Light.

Hi amethysme;
Using an old version of Puppy should be just curiosity and not a way of life.

Born to lose; live to win

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

BologneChe wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:19 am

Hi amethysme;
Using an old version of Puppy should be just curiosity and not a way of life.

Why? For me, my customized version of Precise does everything the newer Puppy's do and it's four times smaller. I also have Bionic on my machine but never use it. BTW - I've been using Puppy for close to 15 years. Besides, this little problem only required a setting change in Palemoon to solve the "problem". Also - I use my cellphone modem to connect to the internet and Precise works much more smoothly in this regard than all the new Puppy's. I have problems with all the new Puppy's which want to update settings at every reboot. So for me, Precise actually works BETTER.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I tend to agree. OS's like Precise still have advantages like using an "older" kernel which for most machines older than 5 years work much better. These kernels in the 2.6 through to 4.XX.XX range are lighter than any of the 5 series. These 5.XX.XX kernels also seem buggy and some of them are just duds.

I would go with tricks, smoke and mirrors to get a newer browser to run in Precise than write it off.
The world is filled with 32 bit machines, perfectly alright and capable but being exiled to the Island of 32 Bit by developers who can't wipe their own noses yet want to tell us how to compute. And nasty at that like they know best yet need mom to get their washing done.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

The new Palemoon works OOTB on the standard Precise without any upgrades needed. The other newest browsers need a bit of tweaking but I know you can get Firefox running for example.

Return to “Users”