webcache.googleusercontent > HOW TO???

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

webcache.googleusercontent > HOW TO???

Post by mikeslr »

Hi guys,

(1) Maybe details were already posted. But I can't find them. And/or I'm being particularly dense recently. Can someone spell out exactly how to use the webcache.googleusercontent facility to recover content from the old forum.

STEP BY STEP. :roll:

(2) I recall reading that at some point google will update its cache, the result of which is that posts will no longer be recoverable. Is that correct?

(3) If so, [and as a matter of efficiency even if not] when you've accessed a particularly important post on the old forum, and it doesn't pay to summarize it, could you kindly create a post in an appropriate Section and copy the recovered post into it.
Wiz57

Re: webcache.googleusercontent > HOW TO???

Post by Wiz57 »

I can't remember how to access google cache, but have found a snapshot from the Murga forum
on the Internet Wayback Machine at archive.org, some of the links might still work if they
were included in the snapshot.
http://web.archive.org/web/202006260638 ... com/puppy/

This snapshot taken on June 26, 2020
Wiz

Signature available upon request

wiak

Post by wiak »

mikeslr wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:51 pm(1) Maybe details were already posted. But I can't find them. And/or I'm being particularly dense recently. Can someone spell out exactly how to use the webcache.googleusercontent facility to recover content from the old forum.
I don't think it ever was detailed and certainly not step by step, but I find google cache the better than internet archive. Here is an example of how to do it:

1. Google using the following search terms:

Code: Select all

"puppy linux" topic pmusic
2. When the list of results appear, look for a drop-down arrow next to the result (usually at the end of the first line of the result).

3. left-click on that and you should see the word "Cached" and click on that. Voila... you will receive the cached page.

You can't always find a cached page. For example, I found no cached page for the following:

puppy linux viewtopic 113244 "start=15"
But this next one came up with a google cached result for me:

puppy linux viewtopic 113244 "start=30"
as did:

puppy linux viewtopic 113244 "start=75"
and

puppy linux viewtopic 113244 "start=90"
Alas, it is all very patchy... If anyone knows better search methods, please let us know...
Attachments
googlewebcache.png
googlewebcache.png (84.95 KiB) Viewed 462 times

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

wiak wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:32 pmYou can't always find a cached page. For example, I found no cached page for the following:

puppy linux viewtopic 113244 "start=15"
If it hasn't to be Google you will find this page with Bing. Very recent snapshot (June 26 ). 3rd page ("start=30") was cached July 7th, shortly before Murga forum went down.
bing.png
bing.png (31.32 KiB) Viewed 427 times

Unlike Google Bing was able to retrieve the first page of above thread with search term

murga puppy "BionicPup32 (UPupBB)"
This doesn't mean that Bing is always better. It only means that with Bing you *may* have success where Google fails.
wiak

Post by wiak »

MochiMoppel wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:09 amIf it hasn't to be Google you will find this page with Bing. Very recent snapshot (June 26 ). 3rd page ("start=30") was cached July 7th, shortly before Murga forum went down.
interesting...

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Return to “Users”