For Board Gamers Vassal running on KLV's

Moderator: Forum moderators

ChrisH

Re: For Board Gamers Vassal running on KLV's

Post by ChrisH »

@rockedge , @mikewalsh , @Sofiya , thanks again for all your feedback. I'm not going to be able to get on with working on this before the weekend but I will get back to it then.

In the meantime here's a thought in response to your "alternative puppy" comment, @rockedge.

I will try the alternative puppy that you recommend, for interest's sake if nothing else, but I'm puzzled about how I might have accidentally messed up the $path variable in my Fossapup installation, which is itself only a couple of months old. I haven't messed around under the hood at all and I've added only a very limited number of additional packages and those mainly in the form of @mikewalsh portables. The only other change that can remember making was my initial installation and subsequent removal of the out of date Java package that's available via the puppy updater.

Best regards to all, @ChrisH (not, btw, @ChrisFH )

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

@rockedge , so today I managed to make some time to try to move forward on this project. I'm following the suggestions you made in your previous post.

So far I've set up a new, clean copy of F96-CE_4 then made the following three changes only. (1) I added a menu item to allow me to use my common copy of @mikewalsh Firefox-Portable in place of the installed Firefox ESR, only because my Firefox-Portable is already set up on my account, which is synced with it. (2) I used JWM desk to change the default browser to my Firefox-Portable. (3) I added symlinks to my common working folders, which are on a different partition, and set that partition to mount at boot up. So far so good.

Next I set out to try the First method you recommend, vis using @Sofiya's PET package version. To do that I right clicked on the link and chose

Save Link As ...

. This appeared to work. But when I then navigated to the file in Rox and clicked on it, it failed to install. Here's the error message

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (207.72 KiB) Viewed 201 times

Then I tried an alternative using Uget but that failed to download at all. Here's the error message

Screenshot(1).png
Screenshot(1).png (63.92 KiB) Viewed 201 times

and here's the download properties box

Screenshot(2).png
Screenshot(2).png (43.38 KiB) Viewed 201 times

Just for completeness' sake I tried navigating to the link shown in the properties box https://github.com/sofijacom/vassal/rel ... x86_64.pet which gave a 404 result "Page not found on Git Hub".

[HMMM! I seem to be limited to adding three files! I'll stop for now until I can work out why.] Back shortly, I hope. Best regards, @ChrisH

Last edited by ChrisH on Sun Oct 13, 2024 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Here's why I seem to be stuck with only being able to add three files. There are only three entries available in the attachments list and no way to add more. The "Add files" button doesn't seem to have any effect.

Attachments
Screenshot(4).png
Screenshot(4).png (77.26 KiB) Viewed 193 times
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

One last minor (maybe) comment. If I open the vassal-3.7.14_1.x86_64.pet file as text I find >1600 lines of code. I've attached the file below, in case it sheds any light on the problem. Er, no I haven't as the system rejects it with this error message

Screenshot(5).png
Screenshot(5).png (22.18 KiB) Viewed 185 times

I'm beginning to have a bad feeling about this.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@ChrisFH I think you are over-complicating the download of @Sofiya's PET.

You should be able to click on this link -> https://github.com/sofijacom/vassal/rel ... 4_1.x86_64
which will bring you to the GitHub section which has the PET package. You should be able to simply click on these to download.

To simplify the process here is a direct link which you can just click on to download -> https://github.com/sofijacom/vassal/rel ... x86_64.pet

Once this PET is downloaded go into the /root/Downloads directory and simply click on the PET package. It will trigger an install.

When you get here let me know so we can review the next steps.

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Hi @rockedge , thanks for such a prompt reply. I'll try that route shortly and let you know what happens. In the meantime though, do I need to be concerned by the warning message that I had from the forum's system that was generated when I tried to upload the .pet file that had downloaded? Regards, @ChrisH

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I have firewalls in place and the phpBB code itself has security measures in place that disallow anything that looks like executable code into the forum's database. This is a good thing and shows that it is working as designed. PET files are restricted from being attached to posts especially those with JAVA code included.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Installing Vassal on a clean Fossapup64 installation
Everything is up and running without any problems. :geek:

KL
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

After rebooting the system with the save, Vassal can be launched from the menu

KL
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

I thought that might be the case. So I have managed to obtain a file which is named vassal-3.7.14_1.x86_64.pet even though all the download attempts that I made reported as fails. As I noted in the other post, when opened as a text file it contains a lot of code. Scanning the code, a task for which I have nearly zero expertise, does suggest that it might perhaps be the script for the Git Hub 404 response page but someone more expert then me would have to confirm that.

I'll follow the link that you've just posted in a moment and see if I can get the file in the way you recommend then we can go from there. Regards, @ChrisH

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Hi @rockedge & @Sofiya , both those links worked. The indirect link to Sofiya's Git Hub folder and the direct link to the .pet file. I can now see why the link in your previous post didn't work for me. The URL it invokes is https://github.com/sofijacom/vassal/rel ... x86_64.pet which, as you see, is neither of the URLs in your recent post.

Anyway, no worries, I've downloaded the .pet file and installed the package, apparently successfully. I'm just about to go and follow your remaining instructions. Let's see how that goes. Best regards, @ChrisH

Btw @Sofiya I'll get to your two posts in a moment. I'm not ignoring you! :)

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

OK, so I've updated the PPM databases and found

Code: Select all

openjdk-21-jre_21.0.4+7

which I've selected for installation. And installed. Successfully, it seems. As in there are no missing dependencies. Rebooting ...

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

So, after rebooting I opended a terminal and tried

which java

which returns ... nothing and

echo $PATH:

which returns

/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/root/my-applications/bin:/usr/games:

I seem to remember that

openjdk-21-jre_21.0.4+7

was not the only package that was mentioned in the first of your help posts. Checking back I can see that it wasn't. Your original advice was to install both of the following

openjdk-21-jdk_21.0.4+7

and

openjdk-21-jre_21.0.4+7

. So maybe I should now go and install the missing package?

Last edited by ChrisH on Sun Oct 13, 2024 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Are you using persistence?

After the reboot is the system loading a save folder or save file? It feels like the system is coming back up fresh, and losing what was installed.

Install it again and then try before you reboot:

which java
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Hi @rockedge Yes, I'm using persistence. I'm running with a save folder per the recommended setup option. But see the comment I've added in the post before yours. Maybe I'm still missing a java package?

Update: I'll be away from this for an hour or so. So please don't push yourself to respond. I'll post a reply when I'm back. :thumbup:

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

I'm back online :thumbup:

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

I'm going to install the (apparently) missing openjdk package and see what it does.

@Sofiya I followed the process in your first YouTube video, so using the legacy PPM rather than the PPM NG, which is the PPM that I used previously. I refreshed the databases then found openjdk-21-jre_21.0.4+7 and installed it. I still got the missing libraries error (which didn't seem to occur with PPM NG)

Screenshot(6).png
Screenshot(6).png (45.06 KiB) Viewed 84 times

But I have now run

which java

and got the happy result

/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.21.0-openjdk-amd64/bin/java

, which is the result we're looking for.

Next I ran

echo $PATH:

which returned

/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/root/my-applications/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.21.0-openjdk-amd64/bin:

, EDIT was: "which I think still leaves us short" BUT I've just noticed from your video, Sofiya, that this is the same string as your

echo $PATH:

command returned, so it looks like we're good.

I'm just going to reboot to see if things get any better. Back shortly.

Last edited by ChrisH on Sun Oct 13, 2024 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

I'm baaaack! And it works! From the menu icon.

Screenshot(9).png
Screenshot(9).png (214.49 KiB) Viewed 83 times

Yaay!

So, despite still having maybe not quite the same installation outcomes as you, @Sofiya or you, @rockedge I now have Vassal working on my laptop in Puppy. The dream ticket. It just remains to say thank you everyone for all your trouble, help and advice. I'm very grateful. Best regards, @ChrisH

Btw, it should go without saying that if any of you ever need a Vassal opponent I'll be happy to oblige no matter which game you want to play. :thumbup2:

Return to “KL-Dev_Work”