Installing Nvidia driver in BookwormPup64 10.0.8

Moderator: Forum moderators

bigpup

Installing Nvidia driver in BookwormPup64 10.0.8

Post by bigpup »

BookwormPup64 10.0.8 frugal install using a save folder.

Note:
The BookwormPup64 10.0.8 ISO has in it the kbuild-6.1.106.sfs.
If you install nvidia-driver with apt or Synaptic, kbuild-6.1.106.sfs should be sufficient to provide what is needed to compile the driver.
Make sure the kbuild-6.1.106.sfs is in the frugal install directory(folder).
Not all installer programs may install it.
You may have to manually copy it from the ISO into the frugal install directory.

How to install Nvidia driver:

Use apt package manager or Synaptic package manager.

1. Must have bookwormPup64 10.0.8 booted and using a save.

2. In apt or Synaptic package manager update the software packages repositories information.

3. Download and install the nvidia-driver (during the install, an info message will pop up about nouveau driver. Click OK to get install to complete).

4. Download and install nvidia-settings

5. Reboot making sure save is updated so this added software is there to use.

6. Boot process will stop with a requirement to run xorgwizard.

7. Run xorgwizard and manually enter nvidia for the driver, set the resolution, and set color depth.
Close xorgwizard.

8. At the prompt, type xwin

9. Should now be at a working desktop and using the nvidia driver.

10. All settings for the drivers operation are done using the Nvidia X Server Settings program. It makes a settings file, that stores the settings to use.
Warning:
X server Display Configuration
One setting is save to X configuration file. Do not select it This will brake the Puppy boot process.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

shinobar

Re: Installing Nvidia driver in BookwormPup64 10.0.8

Post by shinobar »

EDIT(2024-09-21): Found kbuild-6.1.106.sfs is another solution.
Needed devx_dpupbw64_10.0.8.sfs and kernel_sources-6.1.106-dpupbw64.sfs.

Last edited by shinobar on Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

@shinobar

Worked for me without them. Did not have the devx or kernel sources sfs loaded. Do not even have them on the computer to load.

It did install the 535.183.01 driver from the repository.

Used Synaptic package manager to do install.

What Nvidia driver version did you get installed?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@bigpup / @shinobar :-

Doing stuff that way is absolutely fine IF your GPU is new enough to be supported by whatever the current 'mainline' driver happens to be in the repos.

In my case, support for the GT 710 was dropped around 18 months ago; the last supported driver was the 480-series. So for me, in Bookwormpup64 I have no choice but to use "nouveau", whether I want to or not.

The use of "nouveau" is, in some respects, a deal-breaker for me. I cannot use it to 'offload' video-processing to the GPU, since all video-editors that have this capability also insist on the official drivers for it to work. In its current form, "nouveau" simply doesn't cut the mustard. The recent addition of Nvidia's contributed open-source code may change this in the future, but.....not yet.

Even the older driver offered in the repos won't work for me, either. And as I've expounded on recently, I believe the reason why shinobar's getNvidia won't work here is largely down to the usrmerge stuff. That, and sundry other permissions issues & assorted 'artificial' restrictions that Debian is employing these days.

I'm not entirely convinced that standardising Woof-CE around mainline Debian is such a good idea. From the point of view of stability, yes (this cannot be faulted).....but in many other respects, it's just too 'fuddy-duddy' & restrictive.

The jury's out, and I remain "on the fence" about this one.

Mike. Image

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

shinobar wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:02 pm

Needed devx_dpupbw64_10.0.8.sfs and kernel_sources-6.1.106-dpupbw64.sfs.

If you install nvidia-driver with apt or Synaptic, kbuild-6.1.106.sfs should be sufficient (and much smaller than kernel_sources-6.1.106-dpupbw64.sfs), and the main SFS already includes DKMS and GCC, hence devx_dpupbw64_10.0.8.sfs is not needed.

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:57 am

I'm not entirely convinced that standardising Woof-CE around mainline Debian is such a good idea

The problem is not Debian, but a GPU vendor that doesn't maintain drivers for old hardware that work with new kernels. If NVIDIA doesn't provide drivers and firmware (closed source) it doesn't matter what distro you use, who's building it or how - it won't support your GPU.

If NVIDIA says your GPU reached its EOL in terms of driver support, blame NVIDIA for forcing you to stick with an old OS.

shinobar

Post by shinobar »

bigpup wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:11 am

@shinobar
Worked for me without them. Did not have the devx or kernel sources sfs loaded. Do not even have them on the computer to load.
It did install the 535.183.01 driver from the repository.
Used Synaptic package manager to do install.
What Nvidia driver version did you get installed?

Just the same version 535.183.01.

I am not sure we need or need not the devx and kernel sources. I couldn't reproduce the error.
I thought they need not only if the dkms binary is in the repository. But now I am not sure.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I updated the information in the first post with a note about making sure the kbuild-6.1.106.sfs is in the frugal install.

This seems to provide all that is needed to get the driver compiled for the specific kernel 6.1.106.

Thanks dimkr for the info about the kbuild-6.1.106.sfs!

shinobar

Post by shinobar »

bigpup wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:40 am

I updated the information in the first post with a note about making sure the kbuild-6.1.106.sfs is in the frugal install.
This seems to provide all that is needed to get the driver compiled for the specific kernel 6.1.106.

Thanks!
I confirmed DKMS build fails without kbuild-*.sfs nor devx, kernel-sources.
The synaptic says 'Changes applied', but the Details says:

Module build for kenel 6.1.106 was skipped since the
kernel headers for this kernel do not seem to be installed.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

dimkr wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:16 pm

The problem is not Debian, but a GPU vendor that doesn't maintain drivers for old hardware that work with new kernels. If NVIDIA doesn't provide drivers and firmware (closed source) it doesn't matter what distro you use, who's building it or how - it won't support your GPU.

If NVIDIA says your GPU reached its EOL in terms of driver support, blame NVIDIA for forcing you to stick with an old OS.

@dimkr :-

Huh. Yeah....

Nvidia, of course, want me to dip into hard-earnt savings and shell out for a newer card that I really don't need. I have no problem with using out-of-date drivers (not for what I use the GPU for). I have both the 32-bit AND 64-bit final supported drivers for this card.

I've got no issues with compiling the things myself using getNvidia.....except for the fact that Debian won't LET me. And it's a moot point, anyway, since they won't compile against 6-series kernels......

I refuse to be maneuvred into spending MY money unnecessarily.....when there's plenty more important things I need to spend it on (like food in my belly, clothes on my back and a roof over my head). Capitalism, eh? Who needs it.....? :roll:

(Although the GT 710 originally came out in 2013, I actually picked this up brand-new in mid-2020; Asus had re-released an upgraded card with additional HDMI ports in early 2020. This is the version I bought, along with the passive-cooler for silent operation.

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/04/14 ... e-cooling/

For what I use it for, it's ideal.)

Mike. :o

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:31 pm

they won't compile against 6-series kernels......

Because NVIDIA no longer provide drivers for this card that work against recent kernels, not because Debian is somehow preventing you from installing drivers. Debian doesn't provide drivers that work against Debian's kernel because NVIDIA doesn't provide such drivers.

Return to “BookwormPup”