Next LTS Kernel will be 5.15 Announcement

Moderator: Forum moderators

peebee

Next LTS Kernel will be 5.15 Announcement

Post by peebee »

Last edited by peebee on Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

peebee

Re: Next LTS Kernel will be 5.10 Announcement

Post by peebee »

5.10 is released - https://www.kernel.org/

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

peebee

Post by peebee »

Now in
https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html
Quite short EOL

Version Maintainer Released Projected EOL
5.10 Greg Kroah-Hartman & Sasha Levin 2020-12-13 Dec, 2022

linuxunix

Post by linuxunix »

Where are downloads?

peebee

Post by peebee »

Well ........
Luckily for you ...........
a 64-bit build is at:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... /interims/
no firmware - needs fdrv

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

peebee wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:48 pm

Well ........
a 64-bit build is at:
no firmware - needs fdrv

Hi! For a long time I followed his work and used his kernel in FatDog64, according to each build of your kernel. The 5.10 series works well, but when I try to use a chrome-based browser (Google Chrome, Vivaldi or Chromium) the system freezes. To be sure of what was going on, I installed DebianDog Sid Overlayfs and compiled Kernel 5.10, 5.10.1 and am now using 5.10.2, all downloaded from Kernel.org. The problem continues, but there is a temporary freeze and after about 18 seconds of loading, Vivaldi works and the system moves on ... The kernel 5.10.2, got worse (the freeze longer) and sometimes has to restart. This problem only occurs with chrome. I am reporting this, because you are the most active kernel builder on the forum and may be of interest to you. Anyway, for daily use, I prefer the 5.4.x LTS series, which has longer support, until 2025. Thanks for listening! :thumbup2:

In time: I just had a new crash on the machine and had to restart using FatDog64, with kernel 5.4.82! This series 5.10.x can only have a defect in the origin ...

Last edited by Duprate on Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I tend to make real time kernels and so far the 5.10.XX series I can't even get a good AUFS version to compile never mind a real time configured kernel. Though I'm not needing one so I have not pursued it.

I have good performance from the real time 5.4.70-rt40 kernel and otherwise I have outstanding results with 4.19.82-rt30

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

rockedge wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:59 pm

I tend to make real time kernels and so far the 5.10.XX series I can't even get a good AUFS version to compile never mind a real time configured kernel. Though I'm not needing one so I have not pursued it.

I have good performance from the real time 5.4.70-rt40 kernel and otherwise I have outstanding results with 4.19.82-rt30

So, there is a problem with the 5.10.x series. Furthermore, as an LTS, support until 2022 is ridiculous! The 5.10.1 kernel was released a few hours after 5.10 and the explanation of the reason was superficial ... :thumbdown:

I have already done several kernel compilations, for my own use, always using kernel bases provided by forum members. However, I still don't understand how to apply the aufs patch on the base downloaded from the Kernel.org website ... This is obscure or poorly explained to me (it seems that it is also obscure for Linus Torvalds). :roll:

For this reason, I prefer to compile the kernel directly from the official source, for use on a system started by overlayfs. Without relying on third party patches that are not supported by the official kernel developers!

Last edited by Duprate on Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peebee

Post by peebee »

Duprate wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:52 pm

The 5.10 series works well, but when I try to use a chrome-based browser (Google Chrome, Vivaldi or Chromium) the system freezes.

I have no such problems using 5.10 with Woof-CE built systems - so the problem may lie with compatibility with Fatdog......??
The aufs patches for 5.10 are very interim and unofficial so you may want to put off trying 5.10 until official fully tested patches have appeared.

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

peebee wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:58 pm
Duprate wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:52 pm

The 5.10 series works well, but when I try to use a chrome-based browser (Google Chrome, Vivaldi or Chromium) the system freezes.

I have no such problems using 5.10 with Woof-CE built systems - so the problem may lie with compatibility with Fatdog......??
The aufs patches for 5.10 are very interim and unofficial so you may want to put off trying 5.10 until official fully tested patches have appeared.

You are right about the aufs!
The same problem occurred with overlayfs. It may be the fault of the malformed 5.10.x kernel itself. In my personal understanding and opinion, for the future (we can start now) we should invest efforts in overlayfs. See the great work of "fredx181" with DebianDog Sid ... :thumbup2:

Perhaps the malformed 5.10.x kernel is failing with some hardware .... :thumbdown:
The official kernel maintainers, in a hurry, because of COVID-19 and lonely Christmas, "a job on the thighs" was done!

I also installed Porteus-XFCE-v5.0rc2-k5.10.1-x86_64 (overlayfs). The problem with chromium derivatives continues ...

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

5.10.2 with aufs is working OK for me. I posted about it here, with link to source, patches and build scripts:

https://bkhome.org/news/202012/kernel-5 ... nfell.html

The 5.10.2 PET is here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64/ ... s-dunfell/

...it was compiled in EasyOS 0.99 Dunfell-series, which is not released. Note, the Dunfell-series is built with packages compiled completely from source, using OpenEmbedded.

linuxunix

Post by linuxunix »

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/source/kernel/5.10.2/
I downloaded them all, but how do I compile the kernel? I don't understand. There is no pet or menu inside. I try to run the script, but it always prompts an error. I haven't compiled the kernel. What should I do after downloading all the files? I am a debian buster puppy

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

linuxunix wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:27 am

I downloaded them all, but how do I compile the kernel? I don't understand. There is no pet or menu inside. I try to run the script, but it always prompts an error. I haven't compiled the kernel. What should I do after downloading all the files? I am a debian buster puppy

That link has the instructions:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/source ... readme.htm

You do of course need the 'devx' SFS loaded.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

A clarification about those instructions:

If you are running Puppy, with a savefile, it is best if /usr/src be a symlink to somewhere in a hard drive partition, so that you don't run out of space.

So, you would be running in /usr/src, but it is outside the savefile:

Code: Select all

# ln -s <path to a folder somewhere> /usr/src
# cd /usr/src
# ./1kernel.sh
Duprate

Post by Duprate »

BarryK wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:48 am

5.10.2 with aufs is working OK for me. I posted about it here, with link to source, patches and build scripts:

https://bkhome.org/news/202012/kernel-5 ... nfell.html

The 5.10.2 PET is here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64/ ... s-dunfell/

...it was compiled in EasyOS 0.99 Dunfell-series, which is not released. Note, the Dunfell-series is built with packages compiled completely from source, using OpenEmbedded.

Hello, Mr. Barry! I would like to ask if you tried to use a chrome based browser and if it worked well.

I downloaded the available file, kernel_5.10.2-p1_src.sfs, extract and compile, using the traditional way: "make -j2", "make modules", and "modules_install". I got vmlinuz and with modules 5.10.2, I built "kernel-modules.sfs". I used it on FatDog64 811 and got the following results: It worked fine, with Seamonkey 2.53.5.1 and Firefox 84.0, although for the first time there was a 10-second freeze during loading. As for Google Chrome, Vivaldi, Chromium, Opera and even Brave, none responded to the command. But it didn't stop the machine, what an evolution! But when I loaded the wine, it stopped everything.
Now, if it works well with the whole world, and everyone is happy, then the problem is my PC.

Now, taking a break, I wish you all the best on this date that celebrates the birth of the baby Jesus, to renew in our hearts the hopes of building a better world ...

Attachments
PC.jpg
PC.jpg (23.6 KiB) Viewed 604 times
linuxunix

Post by linuxunix »

BarryK wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:03 pm

That link has the instructions:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/source ... readme.htm

You do of course need the 'devx' SFS loaded.

Thank you for the tutorial, I want to try it, but I still won't, because I finally got it started, I asked many questions and didn't know how to answer and choose, and ended up directly. Forget it, don't want to get it, just use yours, hope to provide a new kernel pet in the future, thank you very much!

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

Today, January 20, 2021, I compiled the 5.11.0-rc4 kernel and obtained an excellent result with DebianDog Bullseye. It worked just as well as it works with the 5.4.x series. All browsers, wine and games worked perfectly, without crashes. I had doubts about the proper functioning of the 5.10.x series, now I am sure that it sucks and fails in some hardware configurations. From the 5.10.x series, I tested compilations of highly trusted forum members, official versions of Debian, my various compilations and always presented the same problems, described here in the forum. It was like cancer on my PC. But if I had been using a system with aufs, I would not have had this joy at the moment ....

"Linux 5.11 RC4 is correcting the consequences of the Intel Haswell GT1 graphics card crashing in the last semester. These low-end Intel Haswell graphics pieces should return to work now after several kernel cycles with crashes and startup problems for the affected processors.
However, the rest in relation to Linux 5.11 RC4 is a usual set of bug fixes. Thus, the brief announcement of Linux 5.11-rc4 can be read at lore.kernel.org. In addition, stable Linux 5.11 is due out in February and features many new and improved features. "

Misunderstandings, Google Translator's fault ....

Attachments
mitigation_vulnerabilites.png
mitigation_vulnerabilites.png (64.55 KiB) Viewed 549 times
kernel-5.11.0-rc4.png
kernel-5.11.0-rc4.png (37.6 KiB) Viewed 549 times
Duprate

Post by Duprate »

To be fair to a person who tries very hard to make a good job available, I tested Kernel 5.10.12-lxpup64, Kernel 5.10.13-lxpup64 and 5.10.14-lxpup64, from "peebee" on FatDog64. On my PC intel, it worked perfectly with all software. Unlike previous versions of the 5.10.x series. Whoever needs it, just add the firmware. Congratulations Peebee, for your persistence. :thumbup2:

sonny

Post by sonny »

peebee wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:48 pm

Well ........
a 64-bit build is at:
no firmware - needs fdrv

Hello PeeBee,
Thank you for these two files.
Do you also have the kernel sources and headers as well?
Very much appreciated!

peebee

Post by peebee »

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=2812

is probably your best route

peebee

Re: Next LTS Kernel will be 5.15 Announcement

Post by peebee »

Next LTS kernel is 5.15

https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

Version Maintainer Released Projected EOL
5.15 Greg Kroah-Hartman & Sasha Levin 2021-10-31 Oct, 2023

ndujoe2

Post by ndujoe2 »

I am answering myself, I suppose.

But do I really need to upgrade the kernel?

I prefer the no drama path.

I am using Bionicpup64 kernel 4.19.23

I have not added any new hardware in recent times.

or are their reasons I should upgrade the kernel that are important for average users

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@ndujoe2 No you don't need to switch kernels. If the particular machine runs well with 4.19.23 then stick with it. The advantage of a switch comes when using very new hardware and devices or if one needs a special kernel configuration for specific applications.

Feek

Post by Feek »

ndujoe2 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:51 pm

But do I really need to upgrade the kernel?

An average user (I also belong to this group) doesn't need to change the kernel if everything works well with the hardware.

There are some usefull topics about it like this:
viewtopic.php?t=3228

peebee

Post by peebee »

Slackware says:
http://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/ ... ngeLog.txt

k/kernel-source-5.15.0_smp-noarch-1.txz: Upgraded.
We'll be using 5.15.x in the 15.0 release, and it's working well here, so
let's just start it right out in the main tree rather than in /testing.
The primary differences with the previous (5.14.15) kernel:
The default preemption mode is changed to "voluntary".
Added CONFIG_CEC_GPIO=m (thanks to LuckyCyborg).

Return to “Kernels”