KLV-plasma-KDE-CE (stable Release )

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

Re: KLV-plasma-KDE-CE (stable Release )

Post by Clarity »

geo_c wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 5:30 pm

KDE is pretty cool, but it's a memory hog. ...

Why is this a concern if it does not impact performance?

I've, for 5 decades, know that how a system manages workload demands is much much more important than idle storage use.

But you may know something that is helpful in this regard.

Curious

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Clarity wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:12 pm
geo_c wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 5:30 pm

KDE is pretty cool, but it's a memory hog. ...

Why is this a concern if it does not impact performance?

I've, for 5 decades, know that how a system manages workload demands is much much more important than idle storage use.

But you may know something that is helpful in this regard.

Curious

Well it's pretty simple. If I'm working on one my machines with 8GB of ram, and the operating system is using 1 or 2 GB of it, then when I try and run an Ardour project with 16 tracks of audio each with 4 plugins, the extra gig or two of ram expended on sliding windows and thumbnail popups is simply crowding out the application from available memory. This is crucial when trying to mix a large audio project, not to mention video. Especially when the load gets critical and you try to shut some things off as so not to crash the system. You start clicking around and the animations take even more memory, and bam, the program bombs out.

I definitely say KLV-KDE runs fast, it opens applications fast and generally is snappy, but it's not fast like Spectr, or even F96, and now KLV-boxer with JWM. They are like instantaneously fast. Spectr being the best. In that particular desktop there is simply no compositing, no animation, no window dressing even, no title bars, no buttons on the windows. You have to type meta+q to close a program window.

But it's apples and potatoes really.

I'm impressed that a graphical DE like KDE runs as well as it does, at least Sofiya's KLV version runs impressively well, and being Void underneath might have something to do with it's great performance.. It's certainly better than Windows and Mac, and it looks as good or better, certainly more customizable in the linux tradition. Wayland is nice, and KDE has so much development and user-friendly configurability that I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to recommend it to people.

So just for reasons stated above, when I'm really working and doing audio, I prioritize stability, predictability, simplicity, speed, and memory usage over eye candy and theme tools. User friendly is nice, it's great to pop open the system settings and get downloads of KDE themes. That's sweet for most people, myself included.

I will say that at least 4 or 5 applications bombed out on me for no apparent reason on Plasma. And from time time, windows kind of stick, or don't function quite 100%. They might refuse to resize. Usually this settles out, but it is present and totally in line with a heavy duty graphical interface, that being certain malfunctions and glitches. are likely to occur, maybe no fault of the desktop, but more with the application implementation trying to keep up with the latest developments.

EDIT: Just to follow up, I have no idea how memory allocation and cpu threading works. I can say that at present I only have Xfe, a gtkdialog window, and LibreWolf opened to the forum (a low resource web page) and my ram usage according to htop is 2.89 GB. It doesn't start there when I first open the browser, but it kind of builds up over time, and I'm inclined to think it has to do with some kind of caching that either the browser or wayland is doing. It's beyond my paygrade, but that was kind of thing behind my "memory hog" comment.

I'm spoiled with the fine tuned low ram usage of puppies I suppose. This kind of ram usage is probably considered quite low by most standards.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

geo_c wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:39 pm

The way I understand this KLV to be setup, User spot has administrator privileges, so I simply run OctoXbps as spot user to install, which installs without the use of sudo. Maybe OctoXbps is setup to run as superuser automatically, but it works and applications are available to both root and spot, but the configs are written to spot.

If apps are also available to root as well as spot, then I would think OctoXbps has root privileges.
Did you build from the plug file or download the ISO?
(perhaps Sofia can explain what method she used to grant either spot or octoxbps) admin privileges.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

williwaw wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 1:51 am

If apps are also available to root as well as spot, then I would think OctoXbps has root privileges.
Did you build from the plug file or download the ISO?
(perhaps Sofia can explain what method she used to grant either spot or octoxbps) admin privileges.

I downloaded the iso. I think the script was at the first post of this topic though.

Checked, yes the build script is there. I have that also, I just took the easy way though.

geo_c

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

geo_c wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 2:22 am

Checked, yes the build script is there. I have that also, I just took the easy way though.

the plug installs octoxbps, but I did not see any special configurations in the initial build for octoxbps

xbps-install -y git wget curl p7zip ark unzip tar dtrx xinit mpv smplayer vte3 dialog octoxbps

for spot tho, added to wheel group and given nopassword sudo rights

Code: Select all

# Create user spot and put in wheel group (and more) and give wheel group nopasswd sudo rights
echo '%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL' | (VISUAL="tee -a" visudo) # wheel group added to sudo no password required
useradd -m -G audio,video,wheel,storage -s /bin/bash spot
printf "spot\nspot" | passwd spot >/dev/null 2>&1 # Quietly set default spot passwd to "spot"

why include sudo if not used with a password?

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

williwaw wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:24 am

for spot tho, added to wheel group and given nopassword sudo rights

Code: Select all

# Create user spot and put in wheel group (and more) and give wheel group nopasswd sudo rights
echo '%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL' | (VISUAL="tee -a" visudo) # wheel group added to sudo no password required
useradd -m -G audio,video,wheel,storage -s /bin/bash spot
printf "spot\nspot" | passwd spot >/dev/null 2>&1 # Quietly set default spot passwd to "spot"

why include sudo if not used with a password?

I think, though not certain, that this allows everything that might not be designed to run as root to function in a multi user environment as designed, but gives the flexibility and convenience of not having to type a password every time for accessing the root filesystem. So I think it's an easier configuration all around, and the build script could probably easily be tweaked to use a password for sudo if desired.

I would think that it could be setup with additional users and passwords added. In other words it's basically set up as a regular multi-user linux, no? Just that no password is required to access root using sudo.

geo_c

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

geo_c wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 4:03 am

allows everything that might not be designed to run as root to function in a multi user environment as designed, but gives the flexibility and convenience of not having to type a password every time.......
......I would think that it could be setup with additional users and passwords added. In other words it's basically set up as a regular multi-user linux, no? Just that no password is required to access root using sudo.

might be easiest this way with the prevelence of electron apps, and the scary admonitions about the dangers of running as root that might keep some people away.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

In other words it's basically set up as a regular multi-user Linux, no? Just that no password is required to access root using sudo.

This is it in a nutshell. We set up the "spot" user to be almost as special as "root" in a real multi-user system. Any any additional user added to the system would not be in the wheel group and would require a sudo password. But "spot" in KLV-Hyprland-CE and KLV-plasma-KDE-CE is designed to be the default user which brings it more in line with the main stream Linux distro's, but still is easy to do those administrative tasks and system level configurations one is faced with on a regular basis but not running as the "root" user

KLV-Boxer uses the same setup with "spot" in the wheel group as the other KLV's but is designed to be operated as root as well as spot and can be used as a totally new user at any time.

In KLV's "spot" is a special user that is like the 1st Officer on a ship.......second in command but not quite the Captain.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

I'm not sure how I did this.

I somehow have the Konsole terminal automatically opening htop everytime it opens. If I open a new tab it also opens with htop, so now I have two instances of htop on tabs in the window. If I close htop, the tab or window simply closes and I can't get a fresh prompt in the window or tab to type commands.

I can't find any settings that would cause this in the Konsole settings and profiles.

I don't think I changed any Konsle config files manually. But it maybe it's zsh doing this?

If I split the Konsole window then I get a fresh zsh prompt. But I still have htop running in the one of the split windows.

My mind is boggled.

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

geo_c wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 1:50 pm

I'm not sure how I did this.

Nevermind, I found it in the Konsole settings. I somehow had it set to open with the command /usr/bin/htop

geo_c

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

rockedge wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 12:08 pm

In other words it's basically set up as a regular multi-user Linux, no? Just that no password is required to access root using sudo.

This is it in a nutshell.

so one can just as well use su or su - when running a terminal as spot and doing root stuff?
are there applications that need passwordless sudo run in the background?

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

so one can just as well use su or su - when running a terminal as spot and doing root stuff?

Yes.

are there applications that need passwordless sudo run in the background?

only in KLV-Airedale and KLV-Boxer does the OctoXBPS update notifier which runs as the spot user can be enabled to start during the system boot. It can be started with sudo -u spot or run-as-spot.

KLV-plasma-KDE-CE is running as the true spot user at boot so this variant does not run passwordless sudo in the background.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

KLV-plasma-KDE-CE

4 desktops + cube included

Mod + W
Mod + G
Mod + C

Attachments
Снимок экрана_20240822_215305.png
Снимок экрана_20240822_215305.png (234.27 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
Снимок экрана_20240822_214427.png
Снимок экрана_20240822_214427.png (248.08 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
Снимок экрана_20240822_214741.png
Снимок экрана_20240822_214741.png (124.66 KiB) Viewed 1110 times

KL
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

KLV-plasma-KDE-CE

Attachments
2024-08-27_17-54.png
2024-08-27_17-54.png (69.32 KiB) Viewed 872 times

KL

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Attachments
Снимок экрана_20240916_124114.png
Снимок экрана_20240916_124114.png (413.52 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Tue Sep 17, 2024 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

KL

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Sofiya

Nice! I like the bigger panel (tray). Very cool background. 8-)

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

rockedge wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:28 pm

@Sofiya

Nice! I like the bigger panel (tray). Very cool background. 8-)

https://github.com/sofijacom/KLV-plasma ... a-city.jpg

KL

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

KDE v6.6 is out with Cross Desktop Thumbnails +

FYI

Return to “KL-Dev_Work”