FreeTube-portable; new release - now @ v0.21.3...

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Re: FreeTube-portable; new release - now @ v0.17.0

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, gang.

Upgrade time again. We're now up to v0.17.0.

Nowt to report, aside from a slight re-work of the main GUI layout. As for connecting, I guess some more work has been done here, because it's quite smooth & fast by now.

Find it at my MEGA.nz a/c. Link as in post #1.

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

keniv

Post by keniv »

@mikewalsh
Hi Mike,
Just downloaded and installed v0.17.0. Had two issues. I tried to download the .gz version. This seemed to stall about half way through. I cancelled this download and tried the .xz version which downloaded OK if a little slowly. Could be a problem at this end I suppose. The second is not really an issue but v0.17.0 comes up with a message saying v0.17.1 is available. Neither really a problem but I thought them worth a mention. Thanks again for this.

Regards,

Ken.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@keniv :-

keniv wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:42 pm

@mikewalsh
Hi Mike,
.....the second is not really an issue but v0.17.0 comes up with a message saying v0.17.1 is available. Neither really a problem but I thought them worth a mention. Thanks again for this.

Regards,

Ken.

Heh. Yah, that's typical. They don't do any updates for months on end, then suddenly they're spewing 'em out every couple of weeks.... :roll: It's been a facet of this particular project since the early days, and I've been using it almost since the beginning. Very much stop-go; stop-go... :lol:

Mine's working fine. Personally, I've got no intentions of updating it just yet!

Mike. ;)

keniv

Post by keniv »

Yep, v0.17.0 also working for me so I'm not in any hurry for another update.

Regards,

Ken.

mikewalsh

Re: FreeTube-portable; new release - now @ v0.19.1...

Post by mikewalsh »

Morning, gang. v0.19.1 now uploaded. and the location has moved.......we're now back at MediaFire. New link at the bottom of post #1.

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

My installation of FreeTube Portable on Fossa 9.5 has suddenly gone haywire. It opens up ok, I type something in the search box, click on a video, then it just flashes hysterically and the video doesn't start playing.

Ever since I first installed it ages ago it's always been ok, never seen this before. My Fossa set up hasn't had any changes, nothing added, nothing removed, all exactly the same as it's been for a long time. This has just happened completely out of the blue, and for no apparent reason..

Anyone else had any problems with it?

Feek

Post by Feek »

stevie pup wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 10:40 pm

My installation of FreeTube Portable on Fossa 9.5 has suddenly gone haywire. It opens up ok, I type something in the search box, click on a video, then it just flashes hysterically and the video doesn't start playing.

Ever since I first installed it ages ago it's always been ok, never seen this before. My Fossa set up hasn't had any changes, nothing added, nothing removed, all exactly the same as it's been for a long time. This has just happened completely out of the blue, and for no apparent reason..

Anyone else had any problems with it?

Maybe you are not using the latest version of FreeTube?

My experience is that any version older than the latest won't play videos (the latest is v0.21.3 Beta).

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

:thumbup:
freetube_0.21.3_amd64.AppImage

https://github.com/FreeTubeApp/FreeTube/releases

Attachments
Снимок экрана.png
Снимок экрана.png (234.94 KiB) Viewed 385 times

KL
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Sofiya wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 9:12 pm

:thumbup:
freetube_0.21.3_amd64.AppImage

https://github.com/FreeTubeApp/FreeTube/releases

Hey this app is FANTASTIC!

I had to use --no-sandbox to run in Airedale. But it's a Godsend because I use youtube quite a bit when teaching music, and the adds and pop ups are just a real pain in the ass. This is fast and enjoyable.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

@Feek The Freetube I'm using is v0.19.1, as per @mikewalsh's latest portable. Although it's gone haywire in my Fossa 9.5 I've just tried it in Bookworm64, and it works fine. Which leaves me even more baffled as to what's going on.

@Sofiya Tried the appimage but it wouldn't run. I know appimages can sometimes be a bit fussy in Puppy.

At the weekend I'll have another play around with both Mike's portable and the appimage, see if I can get at least one of them to behave. :roll:

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

stevie pup wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:20 pm

@Feek The Freetube I'm using is v0.19.1, as per @mikewalsh's latest portable. Although it's gone haywire in my Fossa 9.5 I've just tried it in Bookworm64, and it works fine. Which leaves me even more baffled as to what's going on.

@Sofiya Tried the appimage but it wouldn't run. I know appimages can sometimes be a bit fussy in Puppy.

At the weekend I'll have another play around with both Mike's portable and the appimage, see if I can get at least one of them to behave. :roll:

you need to run it like this
freetube_0.21.3_amd64.AppImage --no-sandbox

KL

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@stevie pup :-

ATM, I'm using v0.19.2 beta. I only upgraded it once after the last update; TBH, I haven't used it very much recently. I've been watching YT in Opera. So apologies for the lack of newer releases.

Just so's you know for future reference.....the 'portable' is built around the AppImage anyway. If you've been running the portable and it's worked OK till recently, that's what you have been using.

v0.19.2 is working fine here under the elderly Tahrpup 64, but then like most of my 'buntu-based Pups, it's running a much newer kernel and a much-upgraded glibc, amongst other things. (Tahrpup's 3-series kernel doesn't recognise my audio chip; it requires at least 4.1 before it'll behave itself. Not surprising, given that the audio chip didn't even exist at the time of Tahr64's original k3.14.56).

I tried the v0.21.3 build a couple of days ago in my usual daily driver, an even more highly upgraded Xenialpup 64. It pouted.....and segfaulted. Probably wants newer libraries, is my guess. I'm not certain if it wants a newer libcrypto or libssl, stuff like that. It's quite likely.

The included 'lib' directory was put together for me some 6 or 7 years ago, by battleshooter.....an amazing lass whose skills will need no introduction to long-time Puppians. Amazingly, these dependencies still function for the clones and Electron-based apps, though I'm expecting to have to figure out a new batch before long. I believe she managed to find development source code for every item, then compiled the lot from scratch. At the time, these were several releases ahead of what mainstream distros were then using.......which is why, I think, they've lasted so long.

I haven't been in Fossapup 64 for quite a while. I'll have a look tomorrow, see what happens with v0.21.3, like.

Mike. ;)

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

Sofiya wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:41 pm

Tried that but it came up as "Command not found", so not sure what's going on there.

@mikewalsh Thanks for the response. No panic, as I said before your portable still runs fine in Bookworm64 so it's not desparate to have it in Fossa as well. Also the SMTube/SMPlayer set up works fine in Bookworm as well, so I've got a choice.

In fact sometimes I prefer SMTube. Simply because there's been one or two occasions when I've typed something in the searchbox of Freetube, and for some odd reason it's displayed some totally bizarre and unconnected results. Never had that happen in SMTube.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

stevie pup wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:39 pm
Sofiya wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:41 pm

Tried that but it came up as "Command not found", so not sure what's going on there.

Try ./freetube_0.21.3_amd64.AppImage --no-sandbox (with ./ in front) from terminal standing where freetube_0.21.3_amd64.AppImage is located.
(edit; and.. as you may know, the freetube_0.21.3_amd64.AppImage should be made executable first)

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

I have no idea what's going on with yours (Fossa 9.5). It boots up just fine on it. :thumbup: :ugeek:

./freetube_0.21.3_amd64.AppImage --no-sandbox

Attachments
Снимок экрана.png
Снимок экрана.png (161.71 KiB) Viewed 225 times

KL

mikewalsh

Re: FreeTube-portable; new release - now @ v0.21.3...

Post by mikewalsh »

Okay, gang. here's the new build of Freetube-portable - v0.21.3

You can find it at the main link in post #1. Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@stevie pup :-

The new build is now up for download. It definitely works under Fossapup64 9.5 - PhilB's original - because I've just been using it here for the last half-hour or so.

I would advise creating a new profile. If you want to import any existing subscriptions from YouTube, I've updated the instructions in post #1. It's a bit fiddly, but it does work (Google keep changing the way YT stuff is handled!).....AND it only has to be done once. After this, Freetube will automatically import any new subscriptions via RSS feed.

As per above, make sure you have the RSS feed enabled! Settings -> Subscription settings. Make sure you have the sliders for:-

• Fetch feeds automatically

• Fetch feeds from RSS

• Confirm before unsubscribing

.....enabled.

Let us know how you get on with it, please. I've just had to do this myself; shortly after you mentioned it, my own build went tits-up and refused to work properly. The 'cleanest' solution is to start from scratch with a new profile; if you try using your existing one, the new build won't behave itself either!

Mike. ;)

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

fredx181 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:50 pm

Try ./freetube_0.21.3_amd64.AppImage --no-sandbox (with ./ in front) from terminal standing where freetube_0.21.3_amd64.AppImage is located.
(edit; and.. as you may know, the freetube_0.21.3_amd64.AppImage should be made executable first)

I did make it executable, but I didn't put the ./ at the beginning. So I've tried again, with the ./, and now it comes up as "No such file or directory". So I guess it can't find it. I also made sure I typed the name exactly. Obviously the appimage is in the Downloads directory, where you would expect a download to be. Do I need to move it elsewhere? Although it doesn't really matter now.

@mikewalsh Thanks Mike, your latest portable is working fine, with none of the previous bad behaviour. I should point out, just in case it's relevant to anyone else, the stuff about Profiles doesn't apply to me as I don't set up any subscriptions.

Anyway, I've now got Freetube in Fossa, and SMTube/SMPlayer in Bookworm, all working fine, so I'm happy with that. :lol:

Return to “Browsers and Internet”