Minimalist CD player for Fossa "Micro"

Moderator: Forum moderators

greengeek

Re: Minimalist CD player for Fossa "Micro"

Post by greengeek »

bigpup wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:41 am

why is cdda2wav being replaced by icedax?

ChatGPT said wrote:

....Here are some reasons why icedax is being adopted:
...It benefits from recent updates and bug fixes that ensure better compatibility with contemporary systems and hardware.
icedax .. may offer better support for features such as error correction and improved extraction quality.
...The user experience might be improved in icedax due to better command-line options, more intuitive usage, or improved documentation.
While cdda2wav has been a reliable tool for many years, the move to icedax reflects the ongoing evolution of software to better meet current needs and take advantage of newer technologies.

Hmmm, maybe evolution means change just for the sake of change??
Almost sounds like ChatGPT AI is training for a sales role. Or maybe a job as a politician :)

Marv

Post by Marv »

@greengeek, Here are the missing two. All the others are in fossapup64-mini, and I'm pretty sure in the other fossapup64_9.5 series.
They are in a tarball so where they go should be obvious. I rebuilt the pcdlite pet with them for my own use.

Attachments
missing_pcdlite_icons_fossa.tar.gz
(3.74 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based NoblePup64 (JWM & LXDE), Bookworm64 & Fossapup64-mid/mini (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

Rantanplan

Post by Rantanplan »

Hello @greengeek,

I'd dream it, greengeek do it !
Thank you very much.

The button does the job : eject is perfect for me too.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Marv

Post by Marv »

greengeek wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:01 am
bigpup wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:41 am

why is cdda2wav being replaced by icedax?

ChatGPT said wrote:

....Here are some reasons why icedax is being adopted:
...It benefits from recent updates and bug fixes that ensure better compatibility with contemporary systems and hardware.
icedax .. may offer better support for features such as error correction and improved extraction quality.
...The user experience might be improved in icedax due to better command-line options, more intuitive usage, or improved documentation.
While cdda2wav has been a reliable tool for many years, the move to icedax reflects the ongoing evolution of software to better meet current needs and take advantage of newer technologies.

Hmmm, maybe evolution means change just for the sake of change??
Almost sounds like ChatGPT AI is training for a sales role. Or maybe a job as a politician :)

Back running NoblePup64 'release' version for a bit. Like BW64, and not unexpectedly, it has the icedax issues. Affects pcdlite also of course. Nothing to act on, just reporting. NP64 has Deadbeef and that works but...

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based NoblePup64 (JWM & LXDE), Bookworm64 & Fossapup64-mid/mini (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Marv wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 3:47 pm

Back running NoblePup64 'release' version for a bit. Like BW64, and not unexpectedly, it has the icedax issues. Affects pcdlite also of course. Nothing to act on, just reporting. NP64 has Deadbeef and that works but...

Could you please check if NP64 has ffplay inbuilt? Maybe we can use MochiMoppel's syntax there.
Cheers!

Marv

Post by Marv »

greengeek wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:03 pm
Marv wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 3:47 pm

Could you please check if NP64 has ffplay inbuilt? Maybe we can use MochiMoppel's syntax there.
Cheers!

Quick check in my 'release' install, Nope.

Code: Select all

root@puppypc2096:~$ ffplay
Command 'ffplay' not found, but can be installed with:
apt install ffmpeg

A petty large install IIRC. Probably simpler to sort icedax or hope it gets sorted. :roll:

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

I had a look at NoblePup64 and as far as I could tell it did not have either cdparanoia, cdda2wav or even icedax. Maybe I had an early version.
I may do further testing later.

Had another look at Bookworm too, and it does appear to have "ffplay" ootb so I gave MochiMoppel's syntax a try. Seemed to work so I have made a pet for testing.
As far as I can tell this method is susceptible to any problems that cause re-buffering to occur (such as scratches on the CD, excess cpu load, or vibrations and banging to the CD mechanism itself) - which can mean audio dropouts.

(CDparanoia has by far the best error correction built in, and cdda2wav benefits from that error correction too, so i think they are still the best pair for reliability - if supported by the particular Pup anyway).

Unfortunately the Mute and Unmute buttons don't work in BW64. I might work on a fix later if the ffplay performance can be stabilised first.
(Although so far I tend to shy away from pipewire and pulse audio so maybe the mute won't get fixed...)

BW64_ffplay_version.jpg
BW64_ffplay_version.jpg (73.38 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
BW64_cdffplay_gg-0.1.pet
(1.09 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Marv

Post by Marv »

CDparanoia is a pretty 'light' install in NoblePup64 using the Synaptic package manager. It started cleanly from terminal but I haven't tested further. I am running the most current (release for testing) version of NP64 (the next scheduled build is Sept 2) and indeed none of those are onboard. MPV is and does play CDs more simply than Deadbeef but its' memory use is pretty high.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Marv wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:42 pm

@greengeek, Here are the missing two. All the others are in fossapup64-mini, and I'm pretty sure in the other fossapup64_9.5 series.
They are in a tarball so where they go should be obvious. I rebuilt the pcdlite pet with them for my own use.

Thanks Marv - now that I see what the icons look like it seems to me that we already have something very similar in Fossa Micro/small etc so I have remade pcdlite referencing a couple of inbuilt icons and also adding the mute/unmute functions suggested by @mikewalsh
(For some reason the PCM set method did not work in pcdlite with my soundcard so I have added both PCM 0% and Master mute together - hope this works for others too)
This pet also sets pcdlite as the defaultcdplayer.
I am very happy with how this is working now.

pcdlite_with_mute_mod.jpg
pcdlite_with_mute_mod.jpg (10.41 KiB) Viewed 1538 times

Before using this pet, please view this post a bit further down

F6495Micro_pcdlite_gg-0.6.pet
(2.77 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Last edited by greengeek on Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Installed in my current install of fossapup64-small. All seems to be working fine, mute and unmute works correctly on this 2nd gen i5 based Fujitsu S761.

Thanks,

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@greengeek :-

Mm. Perhaps I should have mentioned earlier that if one doesn't work, then try the other. Some of my Pups are fine with the PCM 'mute', others won't comply till I change it to the Master 'mute' command. If you've got it behaving itself by combining the two.....all well & good, I guess!

Glad you found them useful, anyway.

Mike. ;)

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

A few posts up the page I posted a version of pcdlite - but sometimes it becomes unstable if it is unable to contact the online cddb database (or if Puppylinux.com is offline)

So here is a version that is "local only" - it does not try to contact the database.

It is still able to read any cd-text that is on the CD - so it can sometimes provide the track title info (via the "i" button) if the cd includes it (most don't). Other functions including "skip track forward" and "skip track back", and mute/unmute work as normal.

pcdlite-nocddb.jpg
pcdlite-nocddb.jpg (9.03 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
F6495Micro_pcdlite_nodb_gg-0.7.pet
(2.8 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

See next post for even lighter version.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Here is a similar pet to that one in the previous post - but this one has been improved by Ozsouth to be slimmer.
Nice size saving. Doesnt attempt to go online for CD info. Nice trim gui. Lean and mean.

pcdlite_np_ozgui.png
pcdlite_np_ozgui.png (7.74 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
F6495Micro_pcdlite_np_gg-0.7.pet
(1.77 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Using this F6495Micro_pcdlite_np_gg-0.7 in my BookwormPup64 10.0.7 install.

Works OK for me.

It is now my default audio player.

Not sure exactly what dependency stuff it is using or needs.
I have all possible ones installed. So this is not a fresh install of BookwormPup64.

May want to add a note, that it will take 5 to 10 seconds for audio to be heard, after you click on play.

A very good Puppy software program.
Small in size.
Simple in code.
Does exactly what it is suppose to do and nothing more.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Marv

Post by Marv »

F6495Micro_pcdlite_np_gg-0.7 at home and at work in fossapup64-small (testing). Ken Burns Mark Twain at the wheel.

Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (170.84 KiB) Viewed 1026 times

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Sometimes I need things to be really stripped back so here is the lightest player I have been able to make so far:

tinycd_gui.jpg
tinycd_gui.jpg (5.32 KiB) Viewed 629 times
tinycd_gg-0.1.pet
(908 Bytes) Downloaded 11 times

NOTE: I had a discussion with @mikewalsh about mute/unmute functions and as it turns out mute and unmute are already built in to the retrovol tray icon. All you have to do is "middleclick" the retrovol icon to toggle between mute/unmute (ie: right and left click simultaneously). That function has been there since the days of Pizzagood apparently. Hiding in plain sight. So I don't need to have it in the CD player gui after all. (Pause would be a more useful function to add to the gui but I have found no simple way to do that...)

MiddleClickRetrovolTray.jpg
MiddleClickRetrovolTray.jpg (9.59 KiB) Viewed 609 times
ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@greengeek - here's a small pcdlite with a 'kind-of' pause function. If you click Stop button, then Play Button, restarts the last track you were playing, rather than go back to track 1.

LATER - small flaws in all pcdlite versions - if you get to last track & click Next or if you click Previous from 1st track, have to quit to play again. Same if you click Next or Previous before you click Play when program opens.

LATER STILL - is because are trying to play Track Max+1 or Track 0, which don't exist. Think I've fixed it. Later versions better.

Last edited by ozsouth on Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.
ozsouth

Minimalist CD player for Fossa Small v0.88

Post by ozsouth »

My 0.85 version used an old syntax max code, which doesn't work with Bookwormpup64, even with icedax installed.
As newer pups will probably need that newer syntax, I've made v0.88 (same as 0.85, but with new syntax max code).
Has (kind of) pause (click Stop button, then Play to resume at start of track just played), skip to first or last, no under or overrun fails, Next & Previous working. Use at own risk.

Tested OK on Fossa64-Small, Fossa64-96CE, Jammypup64-E1, s15pup64-240717. With icedax installed, works on Bookwormpup64.
Update further down.

Last edited by ozsouth on Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

ozsouth wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:39 am

here's a small pcdlite with a 'kind-of' pause function. If you click Stop button, then Play Button, restarts the last track you were playing, rather than go back to track 1.

Yes that is quite handy. Good enough "Pause" for my liking.
Tried 0.81 and 0.88 - both very good.
Cheers!

Rantanplan

Post by Rantanplan »

Hello @greengeek and @ozsouth,

Thanks to you for pcdlite "new look".
pcdlite v0.88 runs fine with Toutou Slaxen 6.0 (french derivative edited by esmourguit) : kernel 3.4.94 (i686).

I see two buttons "Eject" and "Quit".
Both do the same thing.

My suggestion :
Could it be possible that "Eject" does not close the GUI?
Thus, it would be possible to put a new cda, then click on "Play" to start playing without having to restart the program.

Thank you champions.

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@Rantanplan - we deliberated over that for a while. Our reason is to clear the temp files before loading a new CD. Just seemed cleaner way to do it. Also forces recalculation of max tracks, which is needed for 'last' & overrrun prevention.

Rantanplan

Post by Rantanplan »

@ozsouth

Seen and understood.
Thank you for your quick answer.

Cheers.

ozsouth

Minimalist CD player for Fossa Small v0.89

Post by ozsouth »

An update - a tmp file was left (fixed), & at end of playlist, last track was on endless repeat. Now goes back to 1st track, so loops.

v0.86 further down

Last edited by ozsouth on Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ozsouth

Minimalist CD player for Fossa Small

Post by ozsouth »

v0.86 by request, 2 posts down.

Last edited by ozsouth on Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
greengeek

Re: Minimalist CD player for Fossa Small v0.84

Post by greengeek »

ozsouth wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:38 am

Hopefully, the last of these for me. I seem to have fixed the endless seek after last track (0.90 was ok too), for Alsa devices at least.

v0.84 - This doesn't seek track info, so not reliant on CD being inserted beforehand (still a good idea). Has restart button added.

Montors /proc/asound for running sound & has counter, so that when end of CD reached, drive seeks once for next track, doesn't find it & is redirected to 1st track (& plays). Best for older systems using Alsa. (a kind of) Pause works (stops track & play restarts track).

Tested OK in s15pup64-240717, Jammypup64-E1, Fossa64-Small-3c, Fossapup64-F96CE (ok when sound set up), Bookwormpup64-10.0.7 (ok with icedax installed & sound set up). Use at own risk.

Very good version. Nice work getting it to behave better than it did originally !!
Just want to echo Rantanplan's comment re having both "Eject" & "Quit" - i reckon the "Quit" button could be eliminated . In my opinion it is definitely good that "Eject" pops out the CD, closes the gui, and forces reset of everything - but lets save some bytes and combine "Eject/Quit" as one button i reckon.
Go on Mr Creosote - just "one more version..." :x :x :D

ozsouth

Minimalist CD player for Fossa Small v0.86

Post by ozsouth »

v0.86 made by request. This doesn't seek track info, so not reliant on CD being inserted beforehand (that's still a good idea).

Have fixed the endless seek after last track (most previous versions would click all day till user intervened), for Alsa devices at least.
Has restart button; Eject & Quit combined.

Monitors /proc/asound for running sound & has counter, so that when end of CD reached, drive seeks once for next track, doesn't find one & is redirected to 1st track (& plays). Best for older systems using Alsa. Has (a kind of) Pause working (stops track & play restarts track).

Tested OK in s15pup64-240717, Jammypup64-E1, Fossa64-Small-3c, Fossapup64-F96CE (ok when sound set up), Bookwormpup64-10.0.7 (ok with icedax installed & sound set up). Use at own risk.

Attachments
pcdlite0.86.jpg
pcdlite0.86.jpg (8.01 KiB) Viewed 259 times
pcdlite64_0.86.pet
(1.69 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Last edited by ozsouth on Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rantanplan

Post by Rantanplan »

Hi @greengeek and @ozsouth,

thanks to you to purpose this tiny player.

I've tried 0.86 version with :
- Triton-6 and Triton-8 (frenchies derivatives of Puppy by @petihar)
- Toutou-Linux 6.0 by @esmourguit
- LunarPup by @peebee.
All of thes are in 32-bit.
It's a success : all features do what they have to do.

(english isn't my native language, so forgive me).

Best regards to you.

Return to “Multimedia”