Pale Moon 'portable' browsers - 32- & 64-bit

Moderator: Forum moderators

Fenyo

Re: Pale Moon 'portable' browsers - 32- & 64-bit

Post by Fenyo »

Yes, Palemoon was forked from the 52.9 esr Firefox, which is probably why (and gtk2 helps also) it runs well on old silicons (FF 91.13 was the last one that still runs reasonably well on older machines if you kill the webrender), but the downside is that it can't exploit the potential of more modern hardware.
In any case, 32bit builds for older distros (2014+) and cpu's (Pentium/K5/6X86+ etc) can still be compiled, here the normal sse2, sse and ia32.
Other stuff in the usual place.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@mikewalsh I downloaded the latest palemoon-portable to run it on KLV-Boxer-rc4 and found that it would error out with:

Code: Select all

XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /opt/palemoon/libxul.so:
libdbus-glib-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

The fix is to install dbus-glib

xbps-install -Sy dbus-glib

KLV-Airedale and KLV-Spectr will run the palemoon-portable and menuadd also works out of the box.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Fenyo :-

The ridiculous thing about all this is that the G5400 is hardly what I'd call "old silicon". It's a 9th-Gen Coffee Lake chip.....this is later than Skylake & Kaby Lake, for Chrissakes. Yet Intel deleiberately "crippled" the core by purposely disabling existing instruction sets, just so they could aim it more exactly at its 'target' market segment (and thereby 'encourage' people to shell out more cash for more expensive, 'upmarket' CPUs where those features had been left alone).

All in the interests of 'marketing'. Jeezus.

Mike. ;)

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:25 pm

The fix is to install dbus-glib

xbps-install -Sy dbus-glib

KLV-Airedale and KLV-Spectr will run the palemoon-portable and menuadd also works out of the box.

This is what I had to install in KLV-Boxer to run Thunderbird-portable, so it might be a good idea to include in future builds. viewtopic.php?p=128548#p128548

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@geo_c That's what gave me the clue to try it. I added it to the PLUG recipe file.

Fenyo

Post by Fenyo »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:44 pm

The ridiculous thing about all this is that the G5400 is hardly what I'd call "old silicon". It's a 9th-Gen Coffee Lake chip.....this is later than Skylake & Kaby Lake, for Chrissakes. Yet Intel deleiberately "crippled" the core by purposely disabling existing instruction sets, just so they could aim it more exactly at its 'target' market segment (and thereby 'encourage' people to shell out more cash for more expensive, 'upmarket' CPUs where those features had been left alone).

All in the interests of 'marketing'. Jeezus.

Mike. ;)

Well, these minimum cpu insturciton sets are not necessarily tailored to the performance of the processors, but rather to some kind of planned obsolescence. When the sse2 minimum was introduced an Athlon Xp 3200+ was beating rounds on a Willamete 1.7 Celeron (but practically any Athlon Xp would eat any Willamate/Northwood Celeron for breakfast), not to mention Win 11's fun requirements like tpm 2.0, secure boot, min 7th gen Intel, Zen+ Amd etc. They must have felt they went far with this, because most of these were weeded out of Win 11 ltsc, only popcnt and something else was left, so it practically boots on a k10 generation Amd (sse4a) or Intel with sse4.2 without any gagging.
By the way, I fixed the 32 bit builds above, because as it turns out they removed support for older ffmpeg (older than 4.0)/libavcodecs (older than 58) from version 33.3.0, but this should only be a problem for people using 32 bit distros before about 2018 (e.g. Centos 7, Debian 9 or older, Ubuntu 16.04 or older etc).

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Fenyo wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 10:13 am

By the way, I fixed the 32 bit builds above, because as it turns out they removed support for older ffmpeg (older than 4.0)/libavcodecs (older than 58) from version 33.3.0, but this should only be a problem for people using 32 bit distros before about 2018 (e.g. Centos 7, Debian 9 or older, Ubuntu 16.04 or older etc).

TBH, it's not so much of a problem for many of us any longer. We're beginning to use John van Sickle's static ffmpeg builds, so it's relatively easy to upgrade to newer versions. I'm finding his v5.1.1 build to be a good, day-to-day all-rounder.

Mind you though, thinking about it, that's not really the answer here, is it? Pale Moon isn't looking for ffmpeg AS SUCH; what's it's expecting to find is the 'standard' ffmpeg INSTALL.....where ffmpeg itself is a very small binary, and all that other stuff - libavcodec, libavdevice, libavformat, libavresample, libavutils, swrescale, etc, etc., is installed automatically when you do so. Because ffmpeg itself NEEDS them in order TO run.

I suspect THAT's what Pale Moon is in fact looking for. The static ffmpeg builds only really work where ffmpeg itself is the item that's being called. Many multimedia applications make use of the fact that all these other dependencies are usually there OOTB in most distros.....and take full advantage by calling those dependencies DIRECTLY. Ffmpeg isn't 'called' at all.....the apps are, however, directly calling various component PARTS of the 'full' ffmpeg install.

I'm right, aren't I?

Mike. :roll:

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

The release notes for Pale Moon 33.3.0, direct you to this download location, for 3rd party builds, that are SSE2 Linux versions.
http://ftp2.palemoon.org/avx/linux/

Also have gtk2 or gtk3 versions.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

bigpup wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:40 pm

The release notes for Pale Moon 33.3.0, direct you to this download location, for 3rd party builds, that are SSE2 Linux versions.

The first time I went to that link I could see what was available - but the last few days I can't get access. Are others able to access what's there?
I found some stuff at http://archive.palemoon.org/palemoon/33.x/

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

greengeek wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:05 am

The first time I went to that link I could see what was available - but the last few days I can't get access. Are others able to access what's there?
I found some stuff at http://archive.palemoon.org/palemoon/33.x/

@greengeek :-

Link's working fine for me, Ian. Are you still having "issues" with accessing it?

Mike. :?

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@greengeek

Link gives me this:

Pale Moon Portable.png
Pale Moon Portable.png (60.68 KiB) Viewed 689 times

Chelsea80

1. BionicPup32+28 19.03 - Linux 4.9.163 - lxpup - 32-pae [i686] - (UPup Bionic Beaver)
....Frugal Install - Internal HDD - Gateway MX8716b - HDD 120GB - RAM 2GB

2. Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
....USB Stick 2GB

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Chelsea80 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 6:23 pm

Link gives me this:...

Hmmm, interesting that you guys can see it. Must be something weird with my browsers or network.

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 4:00 pm

Link's working fine for me, Ian. Are you still having "issues" with accessing it?

Yes, still unable to get through.
Midori browser told me "We are getting weird errors and cannot access that site"
Chromium is telling me there is a timeout:

CannotAccess.jpg
CannotAccess.jpg (15.95 KiB) Viewed 650 times

I will try some different Pup/browser combos and see how I go.
(Then if still no joy I will reset the router as a last resort)

Thanks guys!

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

bigpup wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:40 pm

Finally worked out why I could not access this site:

http://ftp2.palemoon.org/avx/linux/ does not work for me. Just hangs or gives unknown errors.

Instead, I needed to use either:
https://ftp2.palemoon.org/avx/linux/
or even just:
ftp2.palemoon.org/avx/linux/

I have no idea if this is to do with "certificates", or ssl, or my router, or some other browser settings. (I haven't changed any browser settings but maybe it's just the way my pups handle http rather than https??)

Anyway - I have got through to the site again now so thanks again for the testing.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@greengeek

Are you using a Palemoon extension that forces HTTPS?

eg HTTP Always 5.2.27 by Hyperbola Project

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Jasper wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 6:38 pm

Are you using a Palemoon extension that forces HTTPS?
eg HTTP Always 5.2.27 by Hyperbola Project

No, I am using my browsers just as they come ootb.
Mostly Midori, Palemoon and unGoogled Chromium.
(Also Dissenter, Waterfox and Opera showed the same issue)

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

For those like myself that still use a 32 bit Puppy and 32 bit Palemoon, I have found that Steven Pusser
has updated his MX Linux builds to the latest 33.3.1 SSE2 build! It is in GTK3 now, but so far I've had no
problems on my old Acer Aspire One AOA150 with `1 gig RAM, running my custom Slackware based
S15Pup 32! Here's the link to the directory, for older CPU I went with the build for MX 21,
https://mxrepo.com/MX21packages.html Have to scroll down quite a way!
Have fun!
Wiz :D

ps...I "installed" the deb package just as I did with Steven's Debian builds previously, click on it once
downloaded and install just like a Puppy pet. The last of Steven's Debian "deb"s was for version 33.1.1,
in GTK2.

Signature available upon request

Return to “Browsers and Internet”