How to stop WeeDog trying to connect on boot? (SOLVED)

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

mouldy

How to stop WeeDog trying to connect on boot? (SOLVED)

Post by mouldy »

Anyway I installed the 32bit Void version and it finished booting through stage 1, then it went into a loop wanting to set up networking. Well I dont have wifi or ethernet, but doesnt seem anyway to keep it from trying to discover one in infinite loop. I suppose I can set up a hotspot on another computer and try to connect to that. But shouldnt there be way to tell it I dont want to automatically set up ethernet or wifi and just go to desktop???? My only internet is tethering to cell phone.

Last edited by mouldy on Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
wiak

Re: WeeDog question as that forum wont let me post

Post by wiak »

Yes, I've suggested to rockedge he shouldn't require network connectivity on boot, which his current implementation does, otherwise if there is no connectivity or it fails the system goes into that waiting/trying loop you mention.

EDIT: Till rockedge gets round to that, I've attached a tarred directory (upper_changes.tar) that contains an empty rc.local script (rc.local is what rockedge currently uses to force network connection). If you untar that into the directory where your WeeDog32-Void is installed, it should end up as a directory upper_changes with contents etc/rc.local. If you now reboot, that upper_changes will overwrite the original rc.local and not force internet connectivity and thus avoid that loop. Make sure you've removed any existing upper_changes directory before doing above though.

i.e.

In director where the 01firstrib_rootfs.sfs is, completely remove any existing upper_changes directory.

Then put that upper_changes.tar file into that directory where the 01firstrootfs.sfs is, and at terminal there enter the command:

tar xvf upper_changes.tar

Then reboot. That connect loop should no longer occur.

You'll need to set up some things manually thereafter though (such as audio card setup). Just ask again at that stage.

wiak

Attachments
upper_changes.tar
temp fix to bypass rockedge rc.local net connect script
(10 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

mouldy

Re: How to stop WeeDog trying to connect on boot?

Post by mouldy »

Well that got me booted to desktop. So thats solved. It seems very responsive, what I can test offline and very minimalist. I get it so it can go online and will try it on an old single processor laptop that is rather slow with newer Puppies. Now I have to figure how to install openvpn offline. I use AziLink to tether and it requires openvpn installed on computer. Might be easiest to set up hotspot so it can use the Void package manager. Which I assume is commandline as I didnt see a gui for it.

wiak

Re: How to stop WeeDog trying to connect on boot? (SOLVED)

Post by wiak »

I notice that rockedge has since posted an updated iso that does not automatically try to connect to Internet:

viewtopic.php?p=12888#p12888

Not sure what other fixes it contains (though it does auto set up your sound card rather than you having to do it manually via opening a terminal and typing command: start_sound). Later rockedge is planning to try older kernel/modules so might then work better on older machines (whilst still using up-to-date Firefox and so on).

Remember to follow rockedge's overall instructions for after you boot it. For example: open terminal and enter command: buildmenu

I'm hoping rockedge will provide a 64bit version of this also (including build plugin recipes as well as isos, and also hopefully his addon script for adding Zoneminder to the final installation since that's what I want to use it for (on a 64bit machine in my case, being an old Intel Atom netbook as it happens).

wiak

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Well openvpn installed manually offline wasnt horrible. ADB was, it needed something called BoringSSL which wasnt clear in error message running it in terminal. But reading online found I needed it. But I got it installed and now am tethered to phone via AziLink app on phone.

Its fast. Still little things bit off. But I get that its an alpha/beta experiment and seems impressive enough. Does this have any kind of auto mount when something plugged in, cause if it has, its not obvious. Is there some script or software I can add for this function like in regular Puppies.

Next bit is to try it on one of the old single core processor laptops and see how it does. Thats mostly why I was interested.

Oh and how does the Void package manager work? I assume CL since no mention of it in updated menu.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

bash-5.0# xbps-install -Suy
[*] Updating repository `https://mirror.clarkson.edu/voidlinux/c ... 6-repodata' ...
Certificate verification failed for /C=US/O=Let's Encrypt/CN=Let's Encrypt Authority X3
SSL_connect returned 1
ERROR: [reposync] failed to fetch file `https://mirror.clarkson.edu/voidlinux/c ... 6-repodata': Operation not permitted
[*] Updating repository `https://mirror.clarkson.edu/voidlinux/c ... 6-repodata' ...
Certificate verification failed for /C=US/O=Let's Encrypt/CN=Let's Encrypt Authority X3
SSL_connect returned 1
ERROR: [reposync] failed to fetch file `https://mirror.clarkson.edu/voidlinux/c ... 6-repodata': Operation not permitted

Ok, now what???? Seems to be SSL problem?

Tried installin aisleriot as another experiment:

bash-5.0# xbps-install aisleriot

Name Action Version New version Download size
gc install - 8.0.4_1 89KB
libguile install - 2.0.14_9 560KB
guile install - 2.0.14_9 3065KB
dconf install - 0.38.0_1 78KB
yelp-xsl install - 3.38.1_1 196KB
yelp install - 3.38.1_1 855KB
libcanberra install - 0.30_11 48KB
libcanberra-gtk3 install - 0.30_11 13KB
aisleriot install - 3.22.13_1 5986KB

Size to download: 11MB
Size required on disk: 30MB
Space available on disk: 8943MB

Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y

[*] Downloading packages
SSL_connect returned 1
ERROR: [trans] failed to download `gc-8.0.4_1' signature from `https://mirror.clarkson.edu/voidlinux/current': Operation not permitted
Transaction failed! see above for errors.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

DuckDuckGo is my friend.

Seems there is a workaround. Run "export SSL_NO_VERIFY_PEER=1" before update or installing anything. Sure its not right way to fix problem, but it works.

wiak

Post by wiak »

You are doing well on your own without help mouldy. Alas I've been using WeeDogLinux Arch64 version for so long now I've gone and forgotten most Void-related stuff. Hopefully rockedge is keeping up with using Void package manager/certificates and so on. I do plan to get back to a WeeDogLinux Void variant again in a few months time once summer ends here and maybe stay focussed on that one because Void's package manager and runit system have a lot to-commend/going-for-it. Should certainly end up being optimum distro for older machines IMO - maybe with older kernel (or even using a Puppy huge kernel so the initrd can be made tiny since drivers for booting built in to the kernel (though to a large extent that doesn't actually matter very much - WDL_Void appears to use less RAM than pretty much anything else out there, and very efficient CPU usage, so looks like it could turn out to be great fit for such machines. I hope so anyway (despite my oldest working machine not being so terribly old - 2003 maybe... Pentium Mobile laptop that requires forcepae on grub4dos menu.lst kernel line in order to boot). In practice I never use that machine any more - hard drive broken, keyboard broken, too much broken - but WeeDog32_Void did indeed boot on it, and ran quite well actually, which was pretty much a surprise to me.

wiak

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

the certificate problem is from the repo's server end. What appears to have happened is something the Puppy forum goes through on occasion. The annual certificate renewal for the https has not completed for the server's domain from the cert issuer. Usually rectifies itself in a short amount of time. At least this is what I am deducing from looking at the error messages.

To prevent a package from being updated during a system update, use xbps-pkgdb:

Code: Select all

# xbps-pkgdb -m hold <package>

The hold can be removed with:

# xbps-pkgdb -m unhold <package>

On this WeeDog32-Void-2.5X to prevent the kernel from upgrading I used:

# xbps-pkgdb -m hold linux-5.9.14_1

then :

xbps-install -Suy

Which has worked and upgraded/updated a range of packages and lib's

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@mouldy

no automatic mount yet! I was going to look today how to add the mechanism. Otherwise I am doing this:
I open /dev and check what is there like sdb1, which is a plugged in USB HDD.
then:

mkdir -p /mnt/sdb1

Open the directory and drag the sdb1 icon to the desktop.
make a small script in /root/my-applications/bin called "mount_sdb1" which contains:

#!//bin/sh
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1

to umount:

#!//bin/sh
umount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1

Make the scripts executable. Now clicking on them or command line will mount / umount sdb1

Alter the mount command to mount read write NTFS partitions if mounting Micro$ partitions.

The dream is to one day have this automatic similar to what Puppy does.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Don't know if you'd find it useful - it's just a simple script called wdmount I use from commandline for occasions when automount not built into any system. The script could eventually be made more capable of course:

https://gitlab.com/weedog/weedoglinux/- ... es/wdmount

Just contains a few lines of obvious code. I usually include it in weedog builds and put in /usr/local/bin or similar.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

wiak wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:58 am

Don't know if you'd find it useful - it's just a simple script called wdmount I use from commandline for occasions when automount not built into any system.

Thats quite useful. "wdmount sda2" and there it was in mnt directory. Thanks.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Well I got out first old HP single core laptop I saw. I had played with it before as it has 2GB RAM. But only one functioning usb port. Second one is dead.

After several tries, it eventually saw my usb SSD and booted WeeDogVoid. Well it stuck on first two lines for 3.5 minutes, then it quickly did rest to get to desktop. Assume it hung looking for something and finally timed out. I remember Ubuntu doing that on one computer. But it showed what it was hung on. With only one usb port, had to use a hub so I could tether the phone. I dont think it liked this. It was super slow and jerky.

I couldnt find the hard drive adapter to plug a hard drive into it, the tray and hard drive and cover and adapter were missing. I know I have the adapter around somewhere. Suspect it will run much better connected that way instead of usb.

Still wouldnt suggest buying a single core laptop, but if somebody gives you one... On ebay they try to price them same as early two core laptops. If you have a choice, go two core, even if you want to run a 32bit system. Now I do have an ancient desktop computer with "hyperthreaded" single core processor. Single core processor, two threads. It has no problem with 64bit even win10, but takes lot longer to boot. It was some marketing gimmick back when they were transitioning from single to dual core. Back then were few actually running a 64bit system.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Couldnt find hard drive adapter for the HP. Tried with an old Dell D810 with M processor and 521MB RAM. Ok, after fighting it cause it wasnt original power adapter.... It simply wouldnt recognize any hard drive, but wonder of wonders it did boot WeeDogVoid from usb. I got it connected to internet at one point, but Firefox wasnt happy with the small amount RAM and crashed. Then the computer started turning itself off, assume the processor needs reseating with new thermal goo. Downside to messing with very old computers. Oh on the Dell it didnt hesitate, it did boot right up to desktop.

So I get out my Dell D420 which has coreduo (NOT core2duo) processor. Its two core but can only run 32bit system. Yea not sure the point of that. Has 2GB RAM. And I had put Bionic Pup on it at some point. However booted WeeDog from USB. It booted faster than Bionic Pup did from internal hard drive. And less lag opening browser. I would say WeeDogVoid is really good choice for this laptop. The D420 and D430 were really high quality compared to the netbooks/cloudbooks of more recent times. Great keyboard. Thats why I hung onto them. Still very usable if kinda slow. The D430 had a core2duo processor so could run 64bit guessing just not real well. Saw youtube somebody put win10 on one. Not probably good idea.

I need to order some thermal goo anyway to have on hand so reseat processor on the D810.

Have an even older Toughbook. It only accepts max of 1.25GB RAM. It had trouble with full XP back in day, did ok with older Puppy and with TinyXP, an unofficial stripped down version XP. It would be interesting test of WeeDog. Real trouble is modern browsers are RAM hogs, you kinda need minimum of 2GB RAM anymore.

Will say the old HP I tried first should done better with 2GB RAM in it. I am thinking its usb system is not so good. I need to find my reading glasses to read the tiny print on label on back to see what model it actually is. I vaguely remember getting some Puppy to work ok on it, slow but ok. Has some single core Sempron processor so maybe low end laptop even back when it was sold.

Oh tried booting WeeDog from an Acer Aspire Cloudbook. Its 64bit 2core Celeron with 2GB RAM soldered to motherboard and 32GB emmc drive also soldered. It does great with Xenial Pup. But booting WeeDogVoid, it went through boot process fast but ended up with a blank screen. I remember when I tried some older Puppies on it before Xenial, that they did same thing. Doesnt support the oddball video that it uses.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@mouldy Actually your report sounds encouraging! Thanks for the report, the information is vital to the further refinement of the project.

Return to “Users”