Bookworm Build script

a very small Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux.

Moderator: fredx181

fredx181

Re: Bookworm Build script

Post by fredx181 »

dcung wrote:

1. Create a bash script file (ie. #!/bin/bash type) - to execute conkytoggle. Sort of the conky_start you mentioned.

Not that it's very important, but I just like to understand. It seems to me you don't have conky_start in ~/Startup. :?:
I do have it when making a build with lxqt.conf as it's one of the extra files added to the chroot (on top of lxqt.conf is DE_CONFIG="Lxqt" which makes the extra files added at the end of the build stage (mostly config files).
Again, just curious (and to clear up possible confusion) .
P.S. Oh.. explanation can be that you run your own mklive-bookworm mod (not the "mklive-bookworm-exp" script that I attached above).
EDIT: The mklive-bookworm-exp has added near the end, (before creating the .squashfs modules) :
[ "$DE_CONFIG" = "Lxqt" ] && wget --no-check-certificate -P squash -r -e robots=off -nd -l1 -A "*squashfs" https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/modules-bookworm/lxqt/ && unsquashfs -f -d chroot squash/*.squashfs; rm -rf squash

dcung

Post by dcung »

fredx181 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:18 am

P.S. Oh.. explanation can be that you run your own mklive-bookworm mod (not the "mklive-bookworm-exp" script that I attached above).
EDIT: The mklive-bookworm-exp has added near the end, (before creating the .squashfs modules) :
[ "$DE_CONFIG" = "Lxqt" ] && wget --no-check-certificate -P squash -r -e robots=off -nd -l1 -A "*squashfs" https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/modules-bookworm/lxqt/ && unsquashfs -f -d chroot squash/*.squashfs; rm -rf squash

Yes, that's why... Very well spotted..
I haven't incorporated that line yet in my modded mklive...
Will do... :thumbup:

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:

edit: it seems like pipewire-setup includes pavucontrol when lxqt wants pavucontrol-qt.

All the pulse audio stuff seems to be installed and you can't uninstall it without getting rid of lxqt, but pipewire-setup is working as it usually does going straight from alsa to pipewire/wireplumber.

I guess the next thing to try is without pipewire-setup and see what it does by default.

The lxqt (meta)package can be uninstalled without issues (also pavucontrol-qt).
Tested a build with pipewire-setup included. From already booted install or during a build when selected "Run xterm...." I did apt purge lxqt pavucontrol-qt. Then there's only pavucontrol left.
Perhaps there's a more convenient way (in case of installed pipewire-setup) , don't know yet.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

I didn't know you could uninstall the metapackage.

Let me try a few things over the weekend.

I did one with just:

Code: Select all

DESK_APPS_INSTALL="lxqt lightdm lxqt-core lxqt-themes lxqt-system-theme papirus-icon-theme tzupdate edit-sfs-pcmanfm-qt filemnt-pcmanfm-qt"

FIRMWARE="firmware-linux-free firmware-realtek firmware-misc-nonfree firmware-linux-free firmware-realtek firmware-linux-nonfree firmware-iwlwifi firmware-misc-nonfree mesa-utils mesa-utils-bin mesa-va-drivers mesa-vdpau-drivers mesa-vulkan-drivers vlc qbittorrent qbittorrent-nox wireplumber pipewire"

And the sound worked, although I haven't had time to figure out exactly how. :lol:

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 8:20 pm

I didn't know you could uninstall the metapackage.

A metapackage usually contains almost nothing (e.g. only docs), it's just a startup for installing all dependencies, once these dependencies are installed, it's not needed anymore.

I've changed the Desktop line in the lxqt.conf (here https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/configs-bookworm/) to this now (without lxqt metapackage):
DESK_APPS_INSTALL="lxqt-core lxqt-themes lxqt-system-theme desktop-base lxqt-openssh-askpass lxqt-about lxqt-admin lxqt-branding-debian lxqt-powermanagement qttranslations5-l10n qps xfwm4 papirus-icon-theme qlipper xarchiver lximage-qt featherpad edit-sfs-pcmanfm-qt filemnt-pcmanfm-qt tzupdate"
It does in fact the same as installing lxqt metapackage, but separated in individual packages (will not install pavucontrol-qt and/or pulseaudio).
Advantage is IMO that it can be modified as preferred, e.g. leave out featherpad or lximage-qt etc.. (and you can mess it up too ;) , e.g. without xfwm4 or papirus-icon-theme it will be rather broken)

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Did investigate more about the Menu icons, why the dependency for papirus-icon-theme only ?!
Well, turns out that you can set any icon theme for menu and panel from the panel configuration (by right-clicking on panel):
I got installed the very small lxde-icon-theme package (called also nuoveXT2) selected it and shows the icons ok in the menu.

Screenshot(1).jpg
Screenshot(1).jpg (24.09 KiB) Viewed 1852 times

The papirus-icon-theme is huge (over 200MB install size) IMO not suitable for a 'basic' lxqt build, so changed in lxqt.conf (here https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/configs-bookworm/) now to;
DESK_APPS_INSTALL="lxqt-core lxqt-themes lxqt-system-theme desktop-base lxqt-openssh-askpass lxqt-about lxqt-admin lxqt-branding-debian lxqt-powermanagement qttranslations5-l10n qps xfwm4 lxde-icon-theme qlipper xarchiver lximage-qt featherpad edit-sfs-pcmanfm-qt filemnt-pcmanfm-qt tzupdate"
(replaced papirus-icon-theme with the much (!) smaller lxde-icon-theme)
Also in the config module changed to "nuoveXT2" as default icon theme, but you can always change to another icon theme of course.
I ran the above attached "mklive-bookworm-exp" (which will load the extra configs), note that when running the mklive-bookworm from first post the 'config' module won't be loaded, anyway, then how to set to icon theme "nuoveXT2" :
In /root/.config/lxqt/panel.conf on top (in case lxde-icon-theme installed at build time, to edit near the end of a build in chroot) :

[General]
__userfile__=true
iconTheme=nuoveXT2
Build with included icons from package "lxde-icon-theme"
Build with included icons from package "lxde-icon-theme"
Screenshot(2).jpg (53.85 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Thanks.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to run another one tonight.

Dan

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 4:36 pm

Thanks.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to run another one tonight.

Dan

I'd like to know your opinion about how to handle the LXQT build, will probably update mklive-bookworm in time including it, but there's no hurry of course, take your time.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

This is what I have building right now.

My end goal is to migrate the Debian Dog Buster with Chrome I've been using on my Thinkcentre All in one main desktop.

Right now trying to use lxqt apps (featherpad instead of leafpad, qt's viewer instead of viewnor) just to see how I like them.

Will do one with pipewire-setup next to see the difference.

After tomorrow I probably won't be able to do much until the next weekend.

04.lxqt.build_setup.confg.gz
remove gz
(3.26 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
dcung

Post by dcung »

fredx181 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 4:12 pm

I ran the above attached "mklive-bookworm-exp" (which will load the extra configs), note that when running the mklive-bookworm from first post the 'config' module won't be loaded, anyway, then how to set to icon theme "nuoveXT2" :

I incorporated mklive-bookworm-exp changes in my modded mklive...
Picked up latest online lxqt.conf (thru git-sync).

I build one with it (added gvfs).
Observations (and things that I (will) update with my mod/customization):
- Iso file size decreased by ~60MB, must be due to removal of papirus-theme.
- The default dark background choice makes the 'built-in' volume icon hard to see. Can change panel color foreground/background or change background. I have no artistic sense. Someone else can provide better suggestions.
- Remove alsamixer-tray - since I prefer one icon for volume related things, replace with alsamixergui and incorporate that in the built-in volume config.
- Default Lxqt is double-click (good for someone coming from Windows, used-to-be me :lol: ). Now I changed it so single-click.
- I remove Obshutdown. Built-in Lx-Leave has confirmation, I removed confirmation, and use it instead obshutdown.

/root/.config/lxqt/session.conf

[General]
__userfile__=true
leave_confirmation=false

/root/.config/lxqt/lxqt.conf

[General]
__userfile__=true
single_click_activate=true
screen-1.jpg
screen-1.jpg (36.39 KiB) Viewed 1763 times

screen-2.jpg
screen-2.jpg (40.77 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
dcung

Post by dcung »

I played a little more with Lxqt. Mostly cosmetics.

I may keep obshutdown (instead of lx-leave) - a familiar interface.
The panel widgets are easy enough to understand. You can use GUI drag n drop quicklaunchers to create or edit the conf file directly (reboot needed).
I created few for testing - cctv-viewer, google-chrome, and obshutdown (logout).

/root/.config/lxqt/panel.conf

[General]
__userfile__=true
iconTheme=

[desktopswitch]
alignment=Left
type=desktopswitch

[kbindicator]
alignment=Right
type=kbindicator

[mainmenu]
alignment=Left
type=mainmenu

[mount]
alignment=Right
type=mount

[panel1]
alignment=-1
animation-duration=0
background-color=@Variant(\0\0\0\x43\x1\xff\xff\xff\xff\xff\xff\x7f\x7f\0\0)
background-image=
desktop=0
font-color=@Variant(\0\0\0\x43\x1\xff\xff\xff\xff\0\0\0\0\0\0)
hidable=false
hide-on-overlap=false
iconSize=22
lineCount=1
lockPanel=false
opacity=100
panelSize=32
plugins=mainmenu, showdesktop, desktopswitch, quicklaunch, quicklaunch3, quicklaunch5, taskbar, kbindicator, tray, statusnotifier, mount, volume, worldclock, quicklaunch4
position=Bottom
reserve-space=true
show-delay=0
visible-margin=true
width=100
width-percent=true

[quicklaunch]
alignment=Left
type=quicklaunch

[quicklaunch3]
alignment=Left
apps\1\desktop=/usr/share/applications/cctv-viewer.desktop
apps\size=1
type=quicklaunch

[quicklaunch4]
alignment=Left
apps\1\desktop=/usr/share/applications/logout.desktop
apps\size=1
type=quicklaunch

[quicklaunch5]
alignment=Left
apps\1\desktop=/usr/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop
apps\size=1
type=quicklaunch

[showdesktop]
alignment=Right
type=showdesktop

[statusnotifier]
alignment=Right
type=statusnotifier

[taskbar]
alignment=Left
type=taskbar

[tray]
alignment=Right
type=tray

[volume]
alignment=Right
audioEngine=Alsa
mixerCommand=alsamixergui
type=volume

[worldclock]
alignment=Right
type=worldclock
screen-3.jpg
screen-3.jpg (39.92 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Thanks for testing and suggestions ! (edit: @dcung btw, the yellow panel looks very ugly ! :D )
Changed now in the config module to Adwaita for the panel and menu icons (shows light volume icon on panel systray), removed alsamixer-tray from the online lxqt.conf.
The single-click setting for pcmanfm-qt I found a bit dangerous, before you realize, something can be executed accidentally (but that's me, depends on how you use it).
I'd like to keep obshutdown as it gives a graphical Save/NoSave prompt (the prompt from console may not always work properly in some cases, e.g. when a display-manager is installed or booted with systemd). Btw, you can create also a .desktop launcher on the Desktop perhaps that runs save2flash to be able to save in the middle of a session.
EDIT: Added now alsamixergui to the mklive lxqt.conf and added alsamixergui in ~/.config/lxqt/panel.conf : (pipewire/pulseaudio users may feel discriminated, sorry Dan ;) (but can be easily changed to Pulse and pavucontrol of course))

[volume]
alignment=Right
audioEngine=Alsa
mixerCommand=alsamixergui
type=volume
Screenshot(1).jpg
Screenshot(1).jpg (66.83 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@dancytron Had a look at the config you attached, any reason ? for not installing the "pipewire-setup" package, but adding just pipewire and wireplumber (btw, I think better install pipewire-pulse and pipewire-alsa too) ?
Perhaps I mentioned earlier, anyway, with the pipewire-setup package, sound works ok with applications that cannot run as root (running with "run-as-user") like google-chrome or vlc.
Possible to start pipewire/wireplumber as root though, but then sound doesn't work in e.g. google-chrome.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 1:48 pm

@dancytron Had a look at the config you attached, any reason ? for not installing the "pipewire-setup" package, but adding just pipewire and wireplumber (btw, I think better install pipewire-pulse and pipewire-alsa too) ?
Perhaps I mentioned earlier, anyway, with the pipewire-setup package, sound works ok with applications that cannot run as root (running with "run-as-user") like google-chrome or vlc.
Possible to start pipewire/wireplumber as root though, but then sound doesn't work in e.g. google-chrome.

I want to compare the default setup (it installed pipewire but isn't using it) to the pipewire-setup verson which is compressing right now, and to the First Ribbed Debian LXQt I have set up. So mostly for educational purposes.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

I built one with pipewire-setup and no browser.

All works as expect. Installed Chrome from the menu and all worked correctly. Pipewire shows in alsamixer. VLC works correctly.

DESK_APPS_INSTALL="lxqt-core lxqt-themes lxqt-system-theme desktop-base lxqt-openssh-askpass lxqt-about lxqt-admin lxqt-branding-debian lxqt-powermanagement qttranslations5-l10n qps xfwm4 lxde-icon-theme qlipper xarchiver lximage-qt featherpad edit-sfs-pcmanfm-qt filemnt-pcmanfm-qt tzupdate"

FIRMWARE="firmware-linux-free firmware-realtek firmware-misc-nonfree"

EXTRA_DOG_APPS_INSTALL="yradio pcmanfm-qt mc links2 firmware-iwlwifi firmware-misc-nonfree mesa-utils mesa-utils-bin mesa-va-drivers mesa-vdpau-drivers mesa-vulkan-drivers vlc qbittorrent qbittorrent-nox dogradio ffconvert gifenc gnome-mplayer isotools makedebpackage makeswap pavrecord pburn scrotdlg scrox  weav wex yad-splash youtube-get3 youtube-viewer repo-conf upgrade-kernel yassm samba pipewire-setup "

Edit: It's fast. Chrome is noticeably faster than Debian Dog Buste.

dcung

Post by dcung »

fredx181 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:19 am

... @dcung btw, the yellow panel looks very ugly ! :D
Changed now in the config module to Adwaita for the panel and menu icons (shows light volume icon on panel systray), removed alsamixer-tray from the online lxqt.conf.

:lol:
Adwaita is better suited theme - volume icon is visible now... :thumbup:

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:42 pm
fredx181 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 1:48 pm

I want to compare the default setup (it installed pipewire but isn't using it) to the pipewire-setup verson which is compressing right now, and to the First Ribbed Debian LXQt I have set up. So mostly for educational purposes.

Ah, I see. So on your Firstrib Debian LXQT, pipewire runs OK, sound works ? (probably has systemd boot).
Now for my educational purpose I made a build with systemd enabled (as pipewire has no support for the old initscripts to start it) with installed pipewire, pipewire-pulse and wireplumber. (instead of pipewire-setup package). Made it autologin as 'puppy' (as the systemd service doesn't allow running pipewire as root).
The pipewire and pipewire-pulse services got started, but not wireplumber, did a lot of investigating (e.g. a websearch gives much about this problem) but no luck, very frustrating.
Running pavucontrol it shows "dummy output" and sound not working.
Did you manage somehow to start wireplumber ? (just by the systemd wireplumber.service).
Easy enough though to start wireplumber from terminal wireplumber & disown and starts OK (or using startup script with wireplumber &), and sound works, also pavucontrol looks ok then.
(I didn't like much systemd already, but now I'm really becoming a hater :evil: )
edit: I guess that this issue has nothing to do with LXQT, probably the same with any other DE.

EDIT: Got wireplumber startup working now with systemd service. Need to test more (did many things altogether) but it seems that the solution is to install dbus-user-session (edit later: I'm sure now that's the trick !!)

fredx181

Updated: Bookworm Build script

Post by fredx181 »

*** Updated: Bookworm Build script ***

New "mklive-bookworm" script, attached at FirstPost
Added "Lxqt basic" and "Lxqt Extended" to the Desktop Environment choices.
EDIT: Running "Lxqt Extended" will result in a very similar build as the ISO from here: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=12525

Screenshot: (when running ./mklive-bookworm -gui)

2024-09-09_18-22-09.png
2024-09-09_18-22-09.png (166.89 KiB) Viewed 707 times
dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Finally made the leap and put LXQT Bookworm on my desktop/file server that runs 24/7 as my main OS. With Usbmerge but without pipewire. Chrome install from the .desktop file and is working fine. I need to add the alsa pre-amp to make it loud enough.

All seems to be working well.

edit: I forgot to say lightdm instead of slim.

One annoying little bug is that it resets the position of all the desktop icons whenever you reboot.

edit again: the desktop icon position resetting seems to have healed itself.

2024-09-13-202659_1920x1080_scrot.jpg
2024-09-13-202659_1920x1080_scrot.jpg (160.02 KiB) Viewed 546 times
Last edited by dancytron on Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Built a minimal one with systemd, alsa only, links2 as the only browser, and a few more drivers.

ISO 588 Megabytes gzip compression.

Sound worked both yradio and mpv. Nothing obviously not functioning.

I really like LXQT, much more than XFCE.

Dan

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

What is it you prefer with LXQT? I have not yet tried LXQT with KLV, and I am interested in reading your thoughts :ugeek: :thumbup2:

GQdwlT3UeefIyI

Post by GQdwlT3UeefIyI »

I've almost finished my Bookworm build and I wanted to post this to say thank you to all those behind the DebianDogs. I don't look in on the forum often enough to be clear about who contributes what. It looks like Fredx181 is the lead. Thank you Fredx181! But if you also contribute to the OS, my thanks are to you as well.

My Linux experience started with Puppy. I had an old, underpowered PC that I wanted to put an OS on. Using Puppy showed me that I wanted to continue exploring Linux and to use Windows less. But I moved away from Puppy because of the difficulty in adding some of the packages I wanted. (It may be easier on Puppy now, I don't know). With DebianDog, just use Synaptic.

The use case for me, is that I'm a single user and like to tinker with my system. Running the system as root, loading everything into RAM and rebooting everything exactly as it was before I started tinkering, is exactly what I want. Tried LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) and just opening directories wasn't straightforward as a normal (non-root) user, nevermind using the terminal.

I understand that one of the original philosophies behind Puppy was to keep the OS small and light for use on older hardware. Which is how I discovered it. With everything I've added to my Bookworm build it's now 2GB plus. With PCs these days, it could be twice as large and not a problem. The makelive script is a great idea. It's fantastic to be able to custom build from a small base and to be able to build in the latest packages, whenever you build it. Debian doesn't have the very-latest-just-last-week packages, but I only need basic stuff with hopefully most of the bugs filtered out. Debian works for me.

There is a Windows 10 on my PC, but haven't used it in a few years. It only gets booted accidentally these days. DebianDog is my main system. Love the Linux FOSS philosophy. Sadly way above my skillset to be able to contribute anything useful myself. I've learned so much in customising DebianDog for my needs though. Never thought I would write a script, but have put together about a dozen in bash to do various things.

The frugal boot works very well and as a live USB, my main system is also my emergency rescue system.

Hope you continue with this project. You're all doing great work. I imagine it must take a lot of time and effort. And if your experience is anything like mine, though at a higher level, frustration too. It's appreciated.

A big thumbs up!

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

rockedge wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:24 pm

What is it you prefer with LXQT? I have not yet tried LXQT with KLV, and I am interested in reading your thoughts :ugeek: :thumbup2:

Hi Erik, @dancytron will perhaps reply also about this, anyway, it seems to me that LXQT works more speedy than XFCE and is a bit lighter (consuming less RAM).

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Sorry, not a lot of extra time lately.

It's simpler and easier to configure. I'm sure a part of that is using LXDE Debian Dog for 10+ years, but it just seems easier to use and setup. Things like font color and size are easily accessible.

Thick window borders and non-collapsible scrollbars by default.

Dan

Return to “DebianDogs”