How to send video from Bookworm to LG Web OS TV via LAN? (SOLVED for me)

a very small Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux.

Moderator: fredx181

soniabu

How to send video from Bookworm to LG Web OS TV via LAN? (SOLVED for me)

Post by soniabu »

Hi everyone. I hope you are well. I'm fine.
I have an LG TV in LAN and in Windows, I can send videos to the LG Webos TV without any problems and watch a movie.
Of course I would like to do the same thing in Bookworm; but I wasn't able to find a shred of information for Linux
that would allow me to send a small video or mp3 to the TV wireless - and without Chromecast Google Cast..
Do you have any suggestions?
Txs a lot, Sonia

Last edited by soniabu on Thu Aug 08, 2024 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
vektor_alian

Re: Send video from Bookworm to LG Web OS TV in Lan.

Post by vektor_alian »

I have used Serviio for years and it not only works with my smart-alec tv but also with VLC on other linux computers.

https://www.serviio.org/download

Have fun

Vektor

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I have just this configuration: An LG 4K TV, used as a TV AND as a PC multimedia monitor via its HDMI selection.

I use VLC on the LG TV's app selection for reading, viewing, listening or transfer of media from LAN PCs (smb).

ALL of my LAN PCs have a smb folder (SAMBA shares) that TVs VLC, thru its smb network ability, can connect.

Works for many years. ... no issues ever.

P.S. I believe MX Player may also be available for your TV. This also has smbclient built-in for accessing LAN PCs. Except for maybe 1-2, all forum distros have SAMBA built-in.

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

thanks so much to both of you. will try all the suggestions. (I'll have to see what Servillo is).
Jeez, I didn't know LG App also had VLC (great thing!). I'll try to figure out how to make a Samba folder.
I think you indicate MX Player as an application for my LG (I'll try to understand this too).
For now, thanks again friends.
sonia

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @soniabu

Assuming you are using a version of DebianDogs (DD) on the PC which you are using, check its Internet/Network Menu item for a SAMBA GUI to help you set up a folder (we call them 'shares') that all LAN devices can see.

Then on any LAN device most all will have something that will connect to the folders your PC is sharing. The connection allows you to see/use anything within the folder you shared.

This technology is NOT new. Its been around for over 3 decades. Its stable and safe.

Hope this is helpful

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Clarity wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:37 am

ALL of my LAN PCs have a smb folder (SAMBA shares) that TVs VLC, thru its smb network ability, can connect.

When using such a folder - do you have to switch off the firewall? Or open specific ports? How do you have your firewall set please?

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

so friends, you have reasons I didn't specify my OS:
a) it is Bookworm (Debian 12) updated;
b) the TV is LG ( Oled48C15LA-WEBOS 6.4.0-21).

In the Inter/Net menu I don't have SambaGui (maybe I should install SAMBA?).
P.S. I've read a bit about how to install and configure SAMBA: I find it a bit complicated for my knowledge.
I thought there was some simpler software that set up file sharing on all hardware in the LAN.
I'll try to dig deeper and give it a try.

As far as the Firewall is concerned, it starts with this standard configuration and when I need it I can open the doors as indicated.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@soniabu I think my explanation has you looking at this backward. So I will repeat it differently. There are ONLY 2 pieces for you to envision in the following order:

1. Setup what you want LAN people to see from your BookWormPup64 (BKWP64)

2. Use a LAN unit (TV or other PCs) to see/use what you setup

BKWP64 ... or your PC distro (this is either identical or similar for ALL forum distros)
Preface:

• The PUP developers have made this VERY VERY simple to both understand and use. They took every effort to ensure it to be failsafe when used. You'll see. If you have ANY questions: Ask this forum as just about everyone has used this and understand it.

Steps:

1. Go to Menu>Network>Samba Sinple Management

2. Change/Add what you want to share with your LAN users from this (your) PC

3. Click Apply. It should turn the BIG BUTTON from Red to Green. If it does not, click that button as it will turn green.

Summary:
You PC when the button is green your PC is now sharing those item names. LAN users can see them.

Repeating the steps in a summary picture
Repeating the steps in a summary picture
Setup SAMBA(2).jpg (133.47 KiB) Viewed 760 times

YOU can see that is working by using a terminal command that EVERY forum distro has.
enter
smbclient -U% -L localhost # this command shows what this PC is sharing to LAN users

When you have completed this, let us know by posting your observations of your BKWP64 PC.

Conclusion
Now, you can use a LAN device to connect and see this stuff you are sharing from your BKWP64 PC.

soniabu

Re: How to send video from Bookworm to LG Web OS TV via LAN?.

Post by soniabu »

Thank you very much Clarity I understood you very well.
I didn't want to appear critical either of the Operating System or of the developers: I respect the latter very much!
Estimation that arises from the use and functionality that I derive from their concrete work.
Now I will commit to using your useful and welcome suggestions to achieve what I want.
Thanks again everyone.
sonia

Clarity

Re: How to send video from Bookworm to LG Web OS TV via LAN?

Post by Clarity »

Hello @soniabu

One VERY important comment, I should have included was made today by @wizard. In the last paragraph of his post, here, he says (and I totally agree especially for OOTB BKWP64 distro users):

When using either method, you should disable any firewall program until after it is working, then if you wish enable the firewall and set rules for your method.

The importance is that the firewall (F/W), if active, will affect behavior for you PC with your home network.

Follow his advice in addition to the guidance I have provided so that all will work troublefree in you first use. To do so, merely look for the F/W icon on the taskbar. If there, right-click and select "Quit ..."

Report back here...as we will help you to turn the firewall back on for continuing troublefree operations if needed.

soniabu

Re: How to send video from Bookworm to LG Web OS TV via LAN?

Post by soniabu »

So boys, I solved my little inconvenience this way.
I remember that I wanted to watch the films I have on my Bookworm PC on the LG TV.
a) (simple) solution.
With the never too blessed
simple python http server
I show the PC films folder in the TV browser and watch the film as if I were downloading a file.
b) solution.
I have installed Plex and Samba. On the TV browser I open Plex and find the films I am interested in seeing from the movies folder on Plex which updates with the folder of the same name on the PC..
Thank you Clarity and Vektor, for your valuable suggestions.
sonia

Return to “DebianDogs”