KLV-plasma-KDE-CE (stable Release )

Moderator: Forum moderators

Sofiya

Re: KDE-plasma-Void-CE ( Release )

Post by Sofiya »

TerryH wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:34 pm

Just a minor observation between the difference of how screens are rendered comparing Wayland and X11. In Wayland everything appears bigger, panels, firefox page rendering and even the conky display. I've checked in Display Settings and screens is 1920 x 1080 and 100%. So it seems pixels in Wayland and X11 are somehow different.

When changing back to Wayland from X11 the panel is noticeably larger, requiring to reduce the pixel size, by about 6 points to appear a similar size. In firefox I normally set the zoom setting to 120% as 1920 x 1080 on a small 14" screen is too small for my old eyes. My firefox home page which is a start.me page containing all launchers, the launchers are significantly larger, I have changed the zoom back to 100%. The conky display changes position when swapping. I created a second .conkyrc file altering the offsets and some font sizes to compensate, to be able to swap between Wayland and X11. I even in the Wayland version left the hard coded Russian word for Day as a little homage to @Sofiya :thumbup2: :lol: for her great work! Thank you.

Yes, this config has different coordinate values

Code: Select all

conky.config = {
	alignment = 'top_right',   -- top_right , bottom_right
	background = true,
	gap_y = 200,
	-- gap_x = 200,
	minimum_height = 200,
	-- minimum_width = 650,
	maximum_width = 650,

You can set the value which in the first configuration
or your coordinates, my screen resolution is 1366x768
therefore there will be a difference between your permission and my permission

KL
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I, like others, have found this distro a compelling, friendly, easy to navigate desktop.

I am using it as an ISO booted 'frugal'.

The performance is outstanding, the services are generous and useful, and it is STABLE!!! :!: :!: :!:

Its compelling as it incorporates the Linux directional subsystems supporting multimedia usage.

Thanks @Sofiya for this wonderful demonstration of the creativity that exist in the KL subforum.

If in the future you drop X11 to focus all your efforts supporting the state of the art Linux you present, I am in support of that decision as it should reduce your build efforts AND your need to provide support. "Lead the way and we will follow."

Of the 5 mainline distros with KDE Waylands I have tested, this is the best I have found in use, thus far.

Excellence ...

mikeslr

Re: KDE-plasma-Void-CE ( Release ) -Conky Wifi-Strength

Post by mikeslr »

I think it may not be possible; or if possible someone will have to write the code rather than just edit to use it. But your recent post revealing that Conky was edited to show Hard drive temperature readings prompts me to ask.

The primary reason I've preferred pwidgets to Conky is that I am dependent on wifi to access the web; can choose between two streams, reconfiguring my wifi settings when the one in use becomes flaky. Pwidgets has a setting by which it will display current wifi strength.

Can Conky present such information by employing the code used by pwidgets or otherwise.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

mikeslr wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:49 pm

I think it may not be possible; or if possible someone will have to write the code rather than just edit to use it. But your recent post revealing that Conky was edited to show Hard drive temperature readings prompts me to ask.

The primary reason I've preferred pwidgets to Conky is that I am dependent on wifi to access the web; can choose between two streams, reconfiguring my wifi settings when the one in use becomes flaky. Pwidgets has a setting by which it will display current wifi strength.

Can Conky present such information by employing the code used by pwidgets or otherwise.

In Conky you can also display Wi-Fi and signal strength. I usually check the signal level here - picture below

Attachments
2024-07-22_03-04.png
2024-07-22_03-04.png (190.94 KiB) Viewed 1366 times

KL

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

mikeslr wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:49 pm

Something like that
Note: replace ( wlo1 ) with your Wi-Fi value

Attachments
Conky_config_3.tar.gz
(1.1 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
2024-07-22_05-18.png
2024-07-22_05-18.png (275.08 KiB) Viewed 1360 times

KL

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Official KDE Applications

https://apps.kde.org/

Attachments
2024-07-22_17-56.png
2024-07-22_17-56.png (144 KiB) Viewed 1318 times

KL

Clarity

Re: KLV-plasma-KDE-CE ( Release )

Post by Clarity »

This distro has 'really' progressed into a tremendously useful with the current packaging that is offered. So this is not a package request.

Would it be useful if a menu item was present that would open to the KDE apps webpage making it easy for users to spot additional apps?

If so, a similar steering item might be something to add in a future version.

Ash
Location: /⁠ᐠ⁠。⁠ꞈ⁠。⁠ᐟ⁠\ | V⁠●⁠ᴥ⁠●⁠V i hope they add user description

Post by Ash »

Hello guys, so i wanna try and make this kde plasma as my linux flash drive(live usb), but i just don't know how to installed it properly.

btw, i use KLV-plasma-KDE-CE-1.0 ... Wayland +Pipewire
My laptop use windows 10, i install it using rufus with fat32 format

I install the .iso file into the flash drive, then when i boot from it, it's just doesn't know where the grub.cfg file is, so i copy grub.cfg from /boot/grub/ to root folder( / ) just like in the bookwormpup.
Then when i boot it up, i go into the first grub(that asked for grub.cfg) then into the real grub that has hyperland background, after that it's says it's can't find the KLV-plasma-KDE-CE iso file.
So i just come back to my windows 10 and transfer the .iso file inside it, then boot it again.
But, it's always flashing and i can't login whenever i try the wayland, so i chose x11 and login, then it's just work.

So i wanna know if there's the right way to install it on flash drive(i have try searching it, and i don't wanna bother you guys as much as possible) since, i really want it, and also because it's run so smooth on my outdated laptop.

I'm not finding tutorial or anything that explain how to install kde plasma puppy linux. And idk how to save like in puppy linux(i haven't yet know how to save with folder).

So i really appreciate it, if you guys can tell me.

Alright thanks,
Ash

Attachments
at least i can load it.jpg
at least i can load it.jpg (129.58 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
Last edited by Ash on Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @Ash

Question
Do you have a Ventoy USB? If so, the idea of install is unnecessary. This would be a benefit as the USB could be used for all of the ISOs in the KL family as well as the other forum distros.

Let me know if you have a Ventoy USB, and I can direct you to instructions that make KL's simple for use and reduce you efforts to get a working desktop and overall system.

Ash

Post by Ash »

Clarity wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:05 am

Do you have a Ventoy USB? If so, the idea of install is unnecessary. This would be a benefit as the USB could be used for all of the ISOs in the KL family as well as the other forum distros.

Let me know if you have a Ventoy USB, and I can direct you to instructions that make KL's simple for use and reduce you efforts to get a working desktop and overall system.

So i don't have( and idk about ventoy usb), is it something like rufus?
I thought, i need to install it using rufus/ balena etcher
And thanks, that will save a lot of time figuring it out.

Ash

Post by Ash »

@Clarity
Im gonna see and try ventoy usb

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Briefly @Ash :
Use of Ventoy as published on the forum leads to running a forum distro as what is called a 'frugal" ... except it is without the pain of a frugal setup.
As presented on the forum for forum distro use, you'll be guided to do 2 things, ONCE, for the life of the PC and the USB.
If guides requesting the user to set up a portion of your system drive for all of the SAVE Sessions to be kept. (System drives are usually fast and reliable). This is only done ONCE for the life of the PC and is a place where ALL of your sessions for all forum distros are saved.
You'll use the Ventoy USB for housing any/all KL ISO files you load onto it and it is used to start your PC. It list all the ISO files you'll load to it allowing you to select which one you want to boot. The USB is set up ONCE for the life of the PC.

The overarching theme, here, is that ONCE these 2 things (Ventoy USB and system partition for sessions) are done, you never have the issues you are reporting anymore.

If this sound like something that you would like, post back here.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Clarity wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 3:43 am

This distro has 'really' progressed into a tremendously useful with the current packaging that is offered. So this is not a package request.

Would it be useful if a menu item was present that would open to the KDE apps webpage making it easy for users to spot additional apps?

If so, a similar steering item might be something to add in a future version.

For the inattentive

Attachments
2024-07-24_12-39.png
2024-07-24_12-39.png (183.79 KiB) Viewed 1245 times

KL

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@Ash

An important note to you:

PLEASE adhere to this post!

• Create your Ventoy USB and STOP. Come back here for further instructions as we have specific FORUM instructions to make your future life simple for forum use.

PLEASE adhere to this post!

Last edited by rockedge on Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed misspelled word
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Sofiya wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:42 am

...For the inattentive

I had not noticed (or used) that Menu entry before.
And, I misunderstood this post from you to us.

Thanks. This is useful, indeed.

Last edited by Clarity on Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ash

Post by Ash »

Clarity wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:44 am

@Ash

An important note to you:

PLEASE abhere to this post!

• Create your Ventoy USB and STOP. Come back here for further instructions as we have specific FORUM instructions to make your future life simple for forum use.

PLEASE abhere to this post!

Alright i see,
I already done install ventoy usb , and copy the .iso fie into it(sorry)
What do i do next then, to make save partition?

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

OK.

Ventoy USB

I want you to create a folder on your USB's partition #1 named "BOOTISOS". Move the ISO(s) you have into that folder. Keep all you forum ISO files in that folder going forward.

We are done with the USB part.

Next, I ask:
For SAVE sessions

Can you create a partition on your system drive that is more about 50GB as this will be used for all distros you boot for next year or more for your sessions?

If so, create it

• formatted as 'ext4' and

• label it "Persistence".

The KLs have boot feature to look for it. AND you'll use it for all future forum distros.

Let me know. As we are moments away from booting forum distros in all their glory.

Ask questions if unsure of anything.

Ash

Post by Ash »

Clarity wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:59 am

OK.

Ventoy USB

I want you to create a folder on your USB's partition #1 named "BOOTISOS". Move the ISO(s) you have into that folder. Keep all you forum ISO files in that folder going forward.

We are done with the USB part.

Next, I ask:
For SAVE sessions

Can you create a partition on your system drive that is more about 50GB as this will be used for all distros you boot for next year or more for your sessions?

If so, create it

• formatted as 'ext4' and

• label it "Persistence".

The KLs have boot feature to look for it. AND you'll use it for all future forum distros.

Let me know. As we are moments away from booting forum distros in all their glory.

Ask questions if unsure of anything.

Ok, the BOOTISOS folder done, only have a 20 GB or so for ave partition though.
Btw i need to take a bath and other things in real life, so i might response a bit late.

Attachments
this.jpg
this.jpg (133.53 KiB) Viewed 1202 times
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

OK, final instructions and we boot

1. On your Persistence partition, create a folder named "Sessions". All future saves from all your forum distros should be kept here.

You now have a USB that'll boot ISO files to desktop AND you have a reliable place where your sessions are kept.

• Although not needed, I want you to add KLV-Airedale to the BOOTISOS folder on your USB. This way you'll see at least 2 forum distros on your screen at boot time. It is on the forum here

Now, boot your USB and enjoy. ASK questions here OR on the KLV-Airedale thread and expect myself or other forum members to help as I may not be available.

Note: You do nothing to boot to desktop. Merely select your ISO, choose its menu and allow it to boot. No changes to anything, no moving files around, no grub needs, no head-scratching....merely select and boot. The developers have made this so easy, clear and foolproof.

Example to boot KLV where session is saved to Persistence
Example to boot KLV where session is saved to Persistence
KLV boot screen.jpg (101.68 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
Ash

Post by Ash »

Clarity wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:40 am

OK, final instructions and we boot

1. On your Persistence partition, create a folder named "Sessions". All future saves from all your forum distros should be kept here.

You now have a USB that'll boot ISO files to desktop AND you have a reliable place where your sessions are kept.

• Although not needed, I want you to add KLV-Airedale to the BOOTISOS folder on your USB. This way you'll see at least 2 forum distros on your screen at boot time. It is on the forum here

Now, boot your USB and enjoy. ASK questions here OR on the KLV-Airedale thread and expect myself or other forum members to help as I may not be available.

Note: You do nothing to boot to desktop. Merely select your ISO, choose its menu and allow it to boot. No changes to anything, no moving files around, no grub needs, no head-scratching....merely select and boot. The developers have made this so easy, clear and foolproof.KLV boot screen.jpg

Ok, soo..
question
1. Do i create a folder named "Sessions" on Ventoy exFAT or do I need to make a new partition from it that named 'Persistent' using windows 10 disk management?
2. If i need to to make partition how do i do it? Using disk management or gparted after i boot in to it?
3. Do i need to always select second option when booting?

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Ash wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:31 am

Ok, soo..
question
1. Do i create a folder named "Sessions" on Ventoy exFAT or do I need to make a new partition from it that named 'Persistent' using windows 10 disk management?

1. The Sessions folder should be created on the Persistence partition on your system-drive.

2. .

3. Notice the 2nd option line in the picture...the developers created that language you see, to try to make plain that the session(s) will be saved on the Persistence partition in the Sessions folder. "Get it?"

BTW: Nothing stops you to edit any of the KLV menu lines to see how the developers set it up to make things easy. Actually those stanza lines are a great 'teacher' for understanding of GRUB and KL session management.

Gotta run: Be back later today. Although I dont think you'll ned it, I believe other(s) will answer any further question(s) you might have.

Hopefully you see the simplicity: Boot USB, launch an ISO, and session will be saved in the folder on Persistence. This, essentially, is a fully running frugal 'install' without all the work. I've been using these ISO file booting and session saving since 2019. I merely download an ISO file and boot it. I have not installed or changed a single forum distro in the past 5 years while running forum distros at will.

Last edited by Clarity on Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Enjoy!

Attachments
Снимок экрана_20240724_145902.png
Снимок экрана_20240724_145902.png (249.25 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
Снимок экрана_20240724_144446.png
Снимок экрана_20240724_144446.png (215.86 KiB) Viewed 1155 times

KL

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Enjoy!

Attachments
Снимок экрана_20240724_151230.png
Снимок экрана_20240724_151230.png (351.03 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
Снимок экрана_20240724_150615.png
Снимок экрана_20240724_150615.png (391.41 KiB) Viewed 1144 times

KL

Ash

Post by Ash »

Clarity wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:39 am
Ash wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:31 am

Ok, soo..
question

1. The Sessions folder should be created on the Persistence partition on your system-drive.

2. .

3. Notice the 2nd option line in the picture...the developers created that language you see, to try to make plain that the session(s) will be saved on the Persistence partition in the Sessions folder. "Get it?"

BTW: Nothing stops you to edit any of the KLV menu lines to see how the developers set it up to make things easy. Actually those stanza lines are a great 'teacher' for understanding of GRUB and KL session management.

Gotta run: Be back later today. Although I dont think you'll ned it, I believe other(s) will answer any further question(s) you might have.

Hopefully you see the simplicity: Boot USB, launch an ISO, and session will be saved in the folder on Persistence. This, essentially, is a fully running frugal 'install' without all the work. I've been using these ISO file booting and session saving since 2019. I merely download an ISO file and boot it. I have not installed or changed a single forum distro in the past 5 years while running forum distros at will.

Alright, then. Thank you @Clarity for the answer and explanation. :)
I'll try it first

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Enjoy!

Attachments
2024-07-25_03-44.png
2024-07-25_03-44.png (143.66 KiB) Viewed 1105 times

KL

wiak

Post by wiak »

The Sessions folder should be created on the Persistence partition on your system-drive.

As far as I remember (of course I should know, but forget my code...) you don't need to create the Sessions folder when using Persistence partition; the initrd does that for you since that is what the grub menu requested. So all is simple as long as you have one, and only one, partition Labelled "Persistence" somewhere on your system (which can be hard drive or on usb stick), that will simply be used without user needing to do anything.

If you ever want to use something other than say Persistence/Sessions, you can tell FR initrd (the KL distro boot) to ignore the grub menu choice but instead to obey the contents of boot folder text file called w_initconfig, which overrides whatever the iso says to use, which means there is no limit to where you can store persistence savefolder even if booting from iso. For details about that w_initconfig mechanism (which can be used to do far more than simply specify where savefolder should be) refer to: viewtopic.php?p=116935#p116935

However, for simply bypassing iso grub and specifying where you want savefolder to be, there is a utility called wd_initconfig_make which automatically makes a properly working w_initconfig file for you to copy to your frugal install directory, available for download here: viewtopic.php?p=116127#p116127

To use it simply place a copy of that script in the directory on whatever partition you want to redirect the savefolder persistence to - any place at all in fact. Then simply run the script and it will generate a suitable w_initconfig which you should copy into you frugal install directory or, if booting from an iso, into the directory where you keep the iso for booting (e.g. often the BOOTISOS directory if using Ventoy). That w_initconfig redirection will take precedence over any grub menu choice so makes it easy to redirect save persistence anywhere and not just Persistence/Sessions... ANYWHERE YOU LIKE and includes working with ISOS as far as I believe, and no doubt in Qemu too (but didn't have time to test).

Like most FirstRib scripts, it contains simple help info above if you need it. To see that simply run command:

Code: Select all

./wd_initconfig_make --help

Of course you don't usually need to do that since it is simply generates a suitable w_initconfig file for putting in the directory where you store the iso.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

The Sessions folder should be created on the Persistence partition on your system-drive.

I advise this for all of my instructions to everyone; no matter the distro from the forum. Every distro doesn't use the same technology for ease of use as is present in KL's boot menus; which does what you describe above. So, that all distros use the same folder, I advise all users to manually create one and use it to keep ALL forum distros save-sessions in one place.

The ISO booting uses I subscribe to with advice is to have good house-keeping of the 2 folders; namely "BOOTISOS" on the Ventoy partition #1 and "Sessions" on the system drive's partition labeled Persistence. All of this was done such that the users of the forum instructions would understand, at a glance, the mission of the 2 folders no matter which forum distro they use.

This way, assuming the user follows the instructions I provide, it makes it dead-simple to diagnose any issue that arises. Those are the only 2 folders involved. So far, those that stick to those instructions rarely, if ever, return with problems in either booting or session saving as these are rather simple for experienced/meager/1st-time users to diagnose.

Again, (and I know you know this), my intent is to make-simple forum distro use reduced to a "download and boot" experience with little to no intermediate steps where things traditionally have gone wrong for many on the forum.

This is all I have done for past 6 years since discovering this simplicity.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Enjoy!

Global Themes (Plasma 6) -> Lavanda sea kde dark
Icons for Dark Plasma Themes -> Relax-Dark-Icons
Kvantum theme -> LavandaSea, LavandaSeaDark -> https://www.opendesktop.org/p/2009369/

Lavanda-kde-main.zip -> installation script:
https://github.com/sofijacom/KLV-plasma ... e-main.zip

unpack the folder "Lavanda-kde-main.zip", run the script "install.sh"

Attachments
Снимок экрана_20240725_162707.png
Снимок экрана_20240725_162707.png (397.79 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
Снимок экрана_20240725_132619.png
Снимок экрана_20240725_132619.png (372.19 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.

KL

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

@Sofiya, you're still working from CE-1.1 and not a more current build?

I have a working copy of CE-1.1 installed.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

geo_c wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:46 pm

@Sofiya, you're still working from CE-1.1 and not a more current build?

I have a working copy of CE-1.1 installed.

@geo_c

I'm not working with anything, I'm just showing how you can decorate your desktop. :ugeek:
And I provide the necessary components for design

KL

Return to “KL-Dev_Work”