User MikeWalsh DESERVES a "Round of Applause"

vektor_alian

Re: User MikeWalsh DESERVES a "Round of Applause"

Post by vektor_alian »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAANNNNNNND that is just here in Puppyland right? Cause he is everywhere!

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@vektor_alian :-

vektor_alian wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:18 am

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAANNNNNNND that is just here in Puppyland right? Cause he is everywhere!

Heh. I've seen ya lurking around Linux.org, mate, don't think I haven't. They're not a bad bunch over there, either; very friendly and welcoming (just like our gang, really.)

Not all Linux "watering-holes" are full of self-centered 'ubergeeks', y'know..... Me - as wizard said back near the beginning - I don't know squat. I'm an ignoramus where Linux is concerned, BUT.....I do believe in community, and helping each other out.

As long as we remember that, we won't go far wrong.

Mike. ;)

vektor_alian

Post by vektor_alian »

Hi Mike

I was fairly excited when you popped up on the Porteus and specifically Porteux forum. Hope to see you there more. I think you would find the OS enjoyable and equally Lego-like as Puppy.

Vektor

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

vektor_alian wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:13 pm

Hi Mike

I was fairly excited when you popped up on the Porteus and specifically Porteux forum. Hope to see you there more. I think you would find the OS enjoyable and equally Lego-like as Puppy.

Vektor

Heh. Umm....me & Porteus, it's kind of "on", then "off". I've played around with it a number of times over the years, more so when I was still fairly new to Linux and was full of excitement at all the possibilities. I get spells when I'm all fired-up & enthusiastic about it.....and then I lose interest for a while. The one thing I find finicky about Porteus is the whole business of building the 'modules' for each and every update of any given app; browsers, especially, get updated so often it can prove really tedious. It's another reason I like the 'portables' we developed, because 9 out of 10 of them update 'in-situ' without needing to re-build anything.

Thank God I can always return to the sanity of the kennels!

I've also played around with Arnold the Bat's open-source ChromiumOS builds for several years now, but they've always been a bit hit'n'miss. Since finding out about Google's ChromeOS-Reflex - in particular, the fact they are trying to get more people using it by the simple expedient of making it work with more 'mainstream' hardware - I've had an install on the SSD I rescued from the anciente Dell Inspiron 1100 when it 'popped its clogs' a couple of year back. This is an old PATA/IDE unit from Transcend, fitted into a truly ancient Compaq floppy-disk storage box I've had for almost 30 years, and hooked-up via a PATA-to-SATA convertor and then a SATA-to-USB 3.0 cable. Kind of a "DIY" external SSD, but ChromeOS-Reflex is as happy as a pig in shit on this drive, and runs really well.....so I'm currently alternating between this and Puppy.

Who knows? You may well see me over there again one of these days. Time will tell...! :D

Mike. ;)

Return to “Off-Topic Area”