(Solved) be careful when taking out usb stick

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Ash
Location: /⁠ᐠ⁠。⁠ꞈ⁠。⁠ᐟ⁠\ | V⁠●⁠ᴥ⁠●⁠V i hope they add user description

(Solved) be careful when taking out usb stick

Post by Ash »

Don't connect your puppy live usb to Android guys.
Or anything that is formatted FAT32...

So when i try booting it, It's not using the save file

Then, when i want to check the save file
It's say, it's failed to mount/ unmount it(i guess it's corrupted?)

Then i try fixing it using e2fsck. It's say it can't read the superblock, then show the partition is in vfat.

I'm not sure if it really android at fault or because of myself, it's just a guess. Because it's corrupted after i plug it on my android phone.

Anyway, let me know guys, if you know something.
And maybe if my savefile can be recovered.
There's nothing particularly important there, yeah maybe saving time to setting it up again and learn why it's corrupted.

And im sorry if this is not the right place to discuss it, im new.

Edit :
I guess the loss data of file it's not the android fault. It's probably me, not really careful when saving and taking it out. Besides, i use the original .iso that i burn into my usb stick using rufus. So the save file is still in .4fs format.

Attachments
I_guess_ill_just_install_it_again.jpg
I_guess_ill_just_install_it_again.jpg (137.91 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Last edited by Ash on Sun Jul 28, 2024 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
mikewalsh

Re: Don't connect your puppy live usb to Android guys.

Post by mikewalsh »

@Ash :- Hallo.....and :welcome: to the "kennels"!

I'm not surprised you had no joy using e2fsck. It's designed for checking & repairing Linux filesystems - like ext2/ext3/ext4. It was never intended to work with FAT32 (vfat)!

You do understand what a 'save-file' is, yes? It's a special kind of 'container' file, with a complete Linux file-system inside it. You can run e2fsck on the contents of the save-file.....although of course, you DO have to mount it first.

That's about the extent of my knowledge where save-FILES are concerned. Like many here, I prefer to use the more modern & versatile save-FOLDER.....which requires an underlying Linux filesystem in order to work.

Some of the others will be along presently. They will almost certainly know more about this stuff than I do!

Mike. ;)

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Ash wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:00 pm

Then i try fixing it using e2fsck. It's say it can't read the superblock, then show the partition is in vfat.

I'm not sure if it really android at fault or because of myself, it's just a guess. Because it's corrupted after i plug it on my android phone.

There's nothing particularly important there, yeah maybe saving time to setting it up again and learn why it's corrupted.

People will need a little more information. That looks like you're using F96_CE?

I have plugged in Androids to fossapup64_9.5 and F96_CE, and although both the fossapups aren't the greatest experience when plugging in phones, I've never had a crash or corrupted filesystem.

Questions:
1) What OS are you running?
2) Where is it installed, and what are the formats of the partitions where it is installed?
3) Is your save a file or a folder? A folder needs to be on a linux ext partition.
4) Are you writing changes to the save in real time, or by using a save icon?
4) What happened when you plugged in the phone?
5) What did you do next?
6) What happened after you did something with the phone plugged in?
7) How did you exit the OS?

And anything else you add will help people to advise on the problem.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Ash

Post by Ash »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:14 pm

@Ash :- Hallo.....and :welcome: to the "kennels"!

I'm not surprised you had no joy using e2fsck. It's designed for checking & repairing Linux filesystems - like ext2/ext3/ext4. It was never intended to work with FAT32 (vfat)!

You do understand what a 'save-file' is, yes? It's a special kind of 'container' file, with a complete Linux file-system inside it. You can run e2fsck on the contents of the save-file.....although of course, you DO have to mount it first.

That's about the extent of my knowledge where save-FILES are concerned. Like many here, I prefer to use the more modern & versatile save-FOLDER.....which requires an underlying Linux filesystem in order to work.

Some of the others will be along presently. They will almost certainly know more about this stuff than I do!

Mike. ;)

Hai Mike thanks for the welcome
yeah, I know about saving on files but i don't know about saving on folder.
Thanks Mike

Last edited by Ash on Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ash

Post by Ash »

geo_c wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:19 pm
Ash wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:00 pm

People will need a little more information. That looks like you're using F96_CE?

I have plugged in Androids to fossapup64_9.5 and F96_CE, and although both the fossapups aren't the greatest experience when plugging in phones, I've never had a crash or corrupted filesystem.

Questions:
1) What OS are you running?
2) Where is it installed, and what are the formats of the partitions where it is installed?
3) Is your save a file or a folder? A folder needs to be on a linux ext partition.
4) Are you writing changes to the save in real time, or by using a save icon?
4) What happened when you plugged in the phone?
5) What did you do next?
6) What happened after you did something with the phone plugged in?
7) How did you exit the OS?

And anything else you add will help people to advise on the problem.

1. Im using Puppy Bookworm x64 10.0
2. Im install it on usb flash drive(usb stick), it's formated in fat32
3. It's.4fs file
4a. No, im just plug it in to my android phone with otg connection
4b. It's generating some folder like Android, Notification, Music, etc. Basically treating it as SD card i guess.
5. I touch the notification that basically says something like remove otg connection safely.
6. Then i can still see it in the file manager though, and i take it out because i thought it's probably fine. Because I'm not running anything from it.
7. Hmm, well im not boot my android phone using the flash drive(well i have try, but it can't and i guess you need to root the phone first). If you ask how i exit it on my laptop, i just use shutdown as usual and after the laptop completely off, i take out the flash drive.

Ash

Post by Ash »

Uuh, i guess it's fine for now, I'll just try other puppy. So, do i just change my thread title?

Attachments
it just 0 byte, probbaly i somehow misplaced it when i save or something.jpg
it just 0 byte, probbaly i somehow misplaced it when i save or something.jpg (139 KiB) Viewed 542 times

Return to “Users”