"X" is completely broken. What's gone wrong?

Moderator: Forum moderators

guineapig

"X" is completely broken. What's gone wrong?

Post by guineapig »

so i was changing the resolution from 800x600 to like 480p and when I did that x completly broke causing the screento be a complete mess. i can send pics if you want, anyways I would like to if there's a way to change the resolution back without starting x, also If I do want to do a full install how would I point grub to it, It also cant properly find my win xp install

OscarTalks

Re: "X" is completely broken. What's gone wrong?

Post by OscarTalks »

You should be able to use Ctrl + Alt + Backspace to exit to command prompt and from there type xorgwizard and press enter. Follow the steps to use the wizard to change resolution and other settings. Then you may need to type xwin to restart X and see if it is working. Been a while since I used Tahr though.

I would recommend using frugal installs unless it is absolutely necessary to do a full install.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@guineapig :-

Can you flesh-out your statement just a bit further, please? When you say "'X' was a complete mess", can you describe it in more detail?

• - Was the background wallpaper gone?

• - Had the icons disappeared, or had they been replaced with wee warning triangles?

• - Did you have places on the screen where icons were jumbled-up amongst themselves, over and under each other?

This sort of info will give us a better idea of what your "complete mess" is like. I'm suspecting the PuppyPin file may have either not been read correctly, OR it may even have gone AWOL. I had more or less the same thing happen to me, with Tahrpup, during the first couple of months I was using it, some 9-9½ years ago.

This happened several times over the space of the next few weeks, and because I customize my desktops quite extensively, it took forever to reset everything again.....and again.....AND again. I got so fed-up with doing this that I scripted a routine that saved my PuppyPin file to a 'safe' location (along with a confirmation message) prior to power-off OR re-boot. I also added further scripts and a Menu entry to 'reset' it again IF things had gone tits-up upon a restart...

(The 'PuppyPin' file is what's known as a dynamic, 'live' file. It holds information about your background wallpaper, and x,y positions for every icon on the desktop, with info for the icon itself AND what it launches. Every time you make any change to your desktop, this information is written to the PuppyPin file in 'real time', AS the change is made).

Let us have a bit more detail, if you would. If "X" actually IS broken, you'd get no desktop showing at ALL, mess or no....and that's unlikely, if was working previously..! :o

Mike. ;)

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

What version of Tahrpup??
32bit or 64bit?

so i was changing the resolution from 800x600 to like 480p

Exactly how did you do this?????
Give us some details what exactly you did???
480p is not a resolution setting.

These are example resolution settings:
1920x1080
1280x1024
1360x768
1024x768
800x600
640x480

Puppy Linux is designed to work as a frugal install.
Some features will only work using frugal install.
Frugal is just the name used for it. It is still the complete operating system, installed in a special way.

Tahrpup has some old software that has been updated in newer Puppy versions.
One being the boot loader it provides.

Could try to use this boot loader installer to setup one that will be able to boot Windows XP and Puppy Linux.
viewtopic.php?t=3360

Choose to save the pet package.
Download the pet package to a location you can find it.
Left click on it to install.
Run Grub2config program to install the boot loader.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

guineapig

Post by guineapig »

here, it works just fine without x.

Attachments
IMG_20240708_074740840-min (1).jpg
IMG_20240708_074740840-min (1).jpg (163.47 KiB) Viewed 470 times
jp734

Post by jp734 »

How did you change the resolution? Did you manually edit xorg.conf? Did you place vert refresh and horiz sync entry on your xorg.conf? I think that's the one that got messed up.

The Art of Magic and The Magic of Art

guineapig

Post by guineapig »

did that and know its fixed thanks

Return to “Tahr”