Can't install Palemoon with portabrowser in April7

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

schober

Can't install Palemoon with portabrowser in April7

Post by schober »

I'm trying to setup april64-7.0.1F-uefi on a laptop without a mouse
April Is up and running but trying to install Palemoon with Portabrowser resulted in 2 error messages and failure. I didn't record what they were as I don't know how to copy and paste in xterm! (how do you copy and paste)

Any suggestions?

Ps palemoon 28.16.0........ tar.xz was downloaded
And theres a folder on sda3 /mnt/sda3/palemoon 28.16.0_64

April resides on dvd, the swap and sfs and april64dave.4fs are all on the I'd (sda3)

bigpup

Re: Can't install Palemoon with portabrowser in April7

Post by bigpup »

I don't know how to copy and paste in xterm! (how do you copy and paste)

Try highlight to copy and middle mouse button to paste.
If you do not have a middle mouse button.
Both buttons press at same time should work.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

schober

Post by schober »

Pressing both buttons simultaneusly worked in Geany. Thanks for that Bigpup.

The Palemoon problem remaons. My guess is that April cant find PM. The dvd drive starts up when trying to start PM.

Ps I've downloaded the lite version of April as per
http://oldforum.puppylinux.com/puppy/vi ... 46aea33ca3

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Really need to see what those error messages are.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@schober :-

I'm not entirely certain that jrb ever really got the bugs out of Porta-Browse, y'know. I recall he rebuilt & re-released it at least 2 or 3 times, and I'm not at all sure he was really happy with it even then.

I've been using the 64-bit version of Quirky April 701 'lite' for the whole of this year; it's become my 'go-to' Puppy, my 'daily driver', I'm that pleased with it. Of course, despite jrb's work on it, the essential nature of a "Quirky" will always be, at heart, a creation of BK himself.....the 'master' of economical, unbloated coding. Which, to my mind, goes a long way towards explaining just why it works so well, and is as stable as it is.....

You are aware, I take it, that PaleMoon 28.16.0, the current version, is the last ever 32-bit release? Pale Moon will shortly be moving to v29, and when it does, it will be 64-bit only from then on. Of course, 28.16.0 should be totally usable for quite a while to come, but it'll never be updated.

--------------------------------

You may find it simpler to use my portable package of 28.16.0.....which, if you're interested, can be found here:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Navigate through & help yourself.

Easy to use, too; download; unzip; locate wherever you want it.....though preferably 'outside' the save. Click to enter the 'portable' browser directory, then click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up.... Simple.

Mike. ;)

schober

Post by schober »

Tried vivaldi .......... it failed . Im off to try Mike,s suggestion next
This the xterm result

rive would you like to install VivaldiPortable on? eg: sda3
sda3
wget: /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by wget)
wget: /usr/lib64/libssl.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by wget)
3.5.2115.81-1
wget: /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by wget)
wget: /usr/lib64/libssl.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by wget)
--2020-12-15 17:00:56-- https://downloads.vivaldi.com/stable/vi ... _amd64.deb
Resolving downloads.vivaldi.com (downloads.vivaldi.com)... 151.139.236.233
Connecting to downloads.vivaldi.com (downloads.vivaldi.com)|151.139.236.233|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 76800924 (73M) [application/vnd.debian.binary-package]
Saving to: `vivaldi-stable_3.5.2115.81-1_amd64.deb'

100%[======================================>] 76,800,924 4.02M/s in 17s

2020-12-15 17:01:13 (4.22 MB/s) - `vivaldi-stable_3.5.2115.81-1_amd64.deb' saved [76800924/76800924]

Using files from local package "./vivaldi-stable_3.5.2115.81-1_amd64.deb"

/mnt/sda3/vivaldi_64
Uncompressing vivaldi-stable (3.5.2115.81-1) for x86_64 ...

/usr/local/bin/vivinst: line 325: .: Is a directory
ln: './': cannot overwrite directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link './usr/local/bin/remove-vivaldi.sh' -> '': No such file or directory
/usr/local/bin/vivinst: line 409: .: Is a directory
/usr/local/bin/vivinst: line 414: .: Is a directory
/usr/local/bin/vivinst: line 426: .: Is a directory
Installing vivaldi-stable (3.5.2115.81-1) for x86_64 ...

Generating /root/.icewm/menu...
Generating /root/.jwmrc...
grep: option requires an argument -- 'e'
Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
Try 'grep --help' for more information.

/mnt//vivaldi_64
/mnt//vivaldi_64 cannot be found. Do you wish to reinstall? y/n
n

Would you like to make Vivaldi the default browser? y/n
n

FINISHED. PRESS ENTER KEY TO CLOSE THIS WINDOW:

schober

Post by schober »

Have installed Mike's palemoon to /mnt/home/ on sda3 and it works!
Thanks for that Mike

schober

Post by schober »

I can start palemoonfrom thecommand line with
/mnt/home/PaleMoon-portable64.tar.gz.extracted/PaleMoon-portable/LAUNCH

I have some executable bash scripts which have the lines (they run in Wary)
$url=https...........
palemoon $url

This shows the image at $url in the browser . In Wary Iused links browser rather than palemoon as it was faster.

Any suggestions how to start palemoon with an url from the command line?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

First of all, I'd move 'PaleMoon-portable' out of the 'PaleMoon-portable.tar.gz.extracted' folder into /mnt/home. 'PaleMoon-portable' is the actual portable browser; the .extracted folder is the residual 'container' from when you unzipped it. That's just a 'leftover', and isn't needed.

Once you've done that, to start with a URL, it's very simple. Drag the 'LAUNCH' script from inside /mnt/home/PaleMoon-portable & drop it onto the desktop. Rt-click->Edit Item. Now; d'you see the box above the title, marked 'Arguments to pass (for executables)'? Type the FULL URL in there. Then OK to exit. (If you want to launch with more than one URL, you can do that, too; just make sure to leave a space between each URL.)

Now, every time you click on the 'LAUNCH' script, Pale Moon will fire up, with that web-site already loaded. OK? This same trick will work for ANY browser in Puppy.

Don't thank me for this; MochiMoppel was the one who first made knowledge of this public, a few years back, so he should really get the credit for it..!

You can edit the launcher to change its name to 'PaleMoon', and tart it up with an icon. I've supplied one below you can use. (Rt-clk on the icon->Save image as. ROX will auto-resize this down to 48x48 for you.)

Hope that helps.

Mike. ;)

Attachments
Pale Moon desktop icon
Pale Moon desktop icon
palemoon128.png (7.92 KiB) Viewed 333 times
schober

Post by schober »

Thanks for that Mike; your suggestion worked.
Unfortunately that isnt the solution. Each time a scrippt is run it generates a new url to pass to the browser. I need to pass the url to palemoon inside bash. Presumably if the bash script were to edit LAUNCH and then call LAUNCH (and then remove the edit) then we have a solution. Unfortunately the code in LAUNCH is way above my level!

Alternatively I could incorporate LAUNCH code in the script and combine it with the url?

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

schober wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:14 pm

Thanks for that Mike; your suggestion worked.
Unfortunately that isnt the solution. Each time a scrippt is run it generates a new url to pass to the browser. I need to pass the url to palemoon inside bash. Presumably if the bash script were to edit LAUNCH and then call LAUNCH (and then remove the edit) then we have a solution. Unfortunately the code in LAUNCH is way above my level!

Alternatively I could incorporate LAUNCH code in the script and combine it with the url?

Try setting LAUNCH (w/o editing in bash) as the default web browser and the default HTML viewer
(2 places) in Pup default app chooser, then check results. Pup may have set "Palemoon" as the default,
which would point to the actual PM executable.

Signature available upon request

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

What are these scripts of your for? What do they do?

As for 'LAUNCH', well; the script could be called anything at all. 'Start'; 'Execute'; 'Begin'; 'Fire it up...' (you get the picture). The original idea for that came from when I was helping a sweet old guy to get a portable-Firefox running from a flash drive over at BleepingComputer. He was not any kind of a coding expert.....in fact, understood very little of what made things tick.....but despite this, he was nice as pie and very grateful for the assistance. So, I did what I could to make it as easy as possible for him to use it....

He's since joined the current Forum as retry3. He was the inspiration for the layout of the current portables.

Wiz is on the right lines, I think. If you set the 'portable's' launcher as the default browser first, I reckon it ought to simplify scripting what you want to do. If you set your default browser just as 'palemoon', it'll not only use the binary directly, but it'll also create a second profile, too.....because it's the 'LAUNCH' script that tells the portable to start with the 'plmn' wrapper-script (and this is what tells the browser to run using the internal profile).

Let us know what your scripts do, and we'll figure summat out between us.

Mike. ;)

schober

Post by schober »

where is "Pup default app chooser," located?
Pfind and "chooser" produced 3 files none of which had a mention of a browser

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

schober wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:43 pm

where is "Pup default app chooser," located?
Pfind and "chooser" produced 3 files none of which had a mention of a browser

You'll find all the default 'app' scripts in /usr/local/bin. Once you know where they are, it really is simpler to edit & modify these than it is to mess around with the "Default Application Chooser" GUI (but that's just my opinion. You don't have to follow it...)

If you still want the AppChooser, you can find it at /usr/sbin/puppyapps.

Mike. ;)

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

The GUI to do this is located in the Menu>Setup, look for Default Application Chooser...pretty
simple and straightforward (heck, even I figured it out!!)
Wiz

Signature available upon request

schober

Post by schober »

1) Opened /usr/loca/bin/defaultbrowser remed out the path and added /mnt/home/PaleMoon-portable/LAUNCH
Restarted and ran LAUNCH at the console; bash didnt recognise it
Should "home" in the path be sda3?

2) Tried the GUI method; added LAUNCH to default browser (it was empty); still no sucess.

3) In the meantime /usr/loca/bin/defaultbrowser has mysteriously changed to
#!/bin/sh
exec LAUNCH "$@"

schober

Post by schober »

What my scripts do

This page, https://tinyurl.com/ycj26ynp ,has a graph I want to display on its own
The script asks the user for two epics MSFT & MU. It then forms the wsj api url for the graph, https://tinyurl.com/ybssubby .This is handed to the browser on the last line and displayed. The script just makes life easier especially if youve seveal pairs (Im using Tinyurl here for brevity &r readability)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

So; to recap. You presumably don't want this to open every single time you fire-up the browser......but you DO want the browser to launch with this URL loaded when YOU want it to, yes?

Right. Pale Moon is NOT the best browser to choose for this, I'm afraid. Let me illustrate, all right?

For example; if you have one instance of Firefox already running, with some tabs loaded with whatever you're doing, and you switch to a second worktop & launch a second instance of Firefox specifically to display this graph, Firefox will let you do this, OK? Pale Moon is not quite so accommodating...

If you have one instance of Pale Moon already open and running, switch to a second worktop and launch a second instance of Pale Moon with this graph loaded, what will happen is that your already open first instance of Pale Moon will simply switch worktops and add a new tab showing the graph...! :shock:

I don't think this is quite what you want, is it?

Another way you can handle this is to create multiple profiles, i.e., a profile just for this graph, but I don't know of any browser that will let you run 2 or more profiles simultaneously from the same install.

Firefox is multi-threaded. Pale Moon is single-threaded. I'm not 100% certain whether or not this is the reason.

This is why I like multiple browsers. It cuts right through all this 'faffing-around', and permits carrying out two unrelated sets of browsing/work at the same time.

Mike. ;)

schober

Post by schober »

One or other or both of thr things did result in success . Lines
ln bash such as this work

url='https://api....................................com
/mnt/home/PaleMoon-portable/LAUNCH $url

And I have a desktop link to PM
Running a script twice gives 2 tabs. Everything seems ok so far. Many thanks for your help

Return to “Beginners Help”