Announcing firstribit

Converts most live isos into FR/KL distros

Moderator: Forum moderators

wiak

Announcing firstribit

Post by wiak »

NEW RELEASE INCLUDING FirstRibIT fxxxit PLUGFILE SUPPORT

See new release announcement/details here: viewtopic.php?p=125466#p125466
Note that you may need at least a dummy empty plugin to be present during build because I think I made minor error in the detect plugin code logic. Will fix for next release if so.

Pleased to announce the release of "firstribit" the replacement for old weedogit convert most any live distro (and more) to full FirstRIb frugal install format. Big difference between firstribit and weedogit is that you now need to manually download the iso of choice into the installation directory along with the firstribit.sh utility, but a result of that difference is that the utility is much more reliable, half the weedogit code length, more convenient to use and expand to convert other distros, and also to maintain.

This FirstRib utility converts downloaded live isos (such as those for Linux Mint, Zorin, MX Linux, Manjaro, EndeavourOS, Garuda, and even BookwormPup64 and TinyCoreLinux64) into an FR initrd frugal boot distro. Hence the name FirstRibIT. Only these above-mentioned FR-converted distros have been tested as working by myself so no guarantee about any others, but if you find some that have issues please let me know - otherwise they may never be "fixed" since I don't have further time to test more myself. You can generally use any desktop iso version able to be downloaded; for example XFCE or Cinnamon version of Linux Mint, so the new firstribit utility actually caters for far more distros than old weedogit. Note also that the menu choices are not sequential in number, since I removed some older choices during code refactoring since different per-distro desktop variants are catered for more generally now anyway.

Note that the FR_tinycorelinux implementation is a special case and the FR result for that one is just basic, and very experimental, and needs lots more work by some aspiring developer...;-) you can download the current required 64bit iso of tinycorelinux64 from https://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/tin ... urrent.iso

Not only does FirstRibIT allow a frugal install of say Linux Mint, but all the usual FirstRib utilities like save2flash will work and FR version of save2flash/snapmergepuppy is included as an uncompressed 12KL_gtkdialogGTK3filemnt64/ layer addon. Being uncompressed it is easy for users to modify that addon to suit themselves, add new items and so on - that's an advantage of using FirstRib boot methodology, along with its 99 layer sfs and/or uncompressed directory capability.

Of course, there may be several or many teething problems for you to sort out. However, all of the above have been roughly tested as working - takes time for the utility to complete the installation, but all good things take time...

DOWNLOAD and Installation instructions:

1. Make an empty directory for your distro frugal install. For example: mkdir /KL_Mint

2. Fetch the latest version of the firstribit utility by opening a terminal at that directory and entering the command:

Code: Select all

wget -c https://gitlab.com/firstrib/firstrib/-/raw/master/latest/build_system/firstribit-latest.sh -O firstribit.sh && chmod +x firstribit.sh

3. Then simply execute the utility, choose the distro (by entering appropriate menu item number) you wish to convert to a FR frugal install, and follow the simple onscreen instructions provided. That is:

./firstribit

4. Since the conversion takes a while, go make a coffee, and when the installation is complete take note of the possible (and accurate) grub config stanzas provided. Simply copy the one you wish to use into your grub config (I suggest the last, which uses UUID), and update that if necessary ready to boot. You can later find the same grub config info after installation in file grub_config.txt or, per usual with FirstRib-based distros, can re-generate it by executing script wd_grubconfig

5. Defaults are: User firstrib with password firstrib; and sometimes User root with password root; FR mode wd_changes=RAM2, which means you need to run the terminal command "save2flash" in order to save on demand (persistence) between boots. If you remove wd_changes=RAM2 argument from grub config then direct writes to save persistence will always occur (but most prefer RAM2 mode).

NOTE: at the moment a few distros don't have a sudo user "firstrib" installed (I have to investigate why I didn't do that for some distros in earler weedogit). I believe the command "save2flash" doesn't work with such distros (but haven't checked all the details thus far). However seems that save on demand (w_changes=RAM2 mode) may still work if you instead use command "sudo snapmergepuppy").

For those of you interested in trying to FirstRib BookwormPup, which means no pupmodes but the FirstRib distro likes of w_changes=RAM2 (the default) for save on demand persistence, note that the shutdown procedure currently provided (in uncompressed addon layer 25KL_forkpup_type1) is simplistic and rough (albeit also very accesssible for easy user modification/additions), and some Puppy-related utilities that expect Pupmodes and so on will not work. However, should be possible for you to create code workarounds and polish things up; good fun hobby experiment anyway and, as I said, the FR initrd gives you 99 layers of sfs and/or normal uncompressed directory layers to play with! Currently, the shutdown process for FR_BookwormPup64 is pretty simply and rough (compared to normal BookwormPup); it uses the simple /usr/local/bin/wd_exit script, which you are encouraged to improve... ;-)

Also, with FR_Bookwormpup64, in earlier tests:

wiak wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:03 am

I had to use:
dpkg-statoverride --remove /etc/ssl/private
to get apt to install without error about ssl-cert. I don't know enough about dpkg to know what that is all about, but seems a simple enough 'fix' at this stage.

@rockedge has since made a firstribit build of NoblePup viewtopic.php?p=124685#p124685
and found that the following fixed the above apt problem with that FR'd NoblePup:

addgroup ssl-cert

Note: The sfs root filesystems extracted from the live isos are often in highly compressed form and thus somewhat slow to boot. Okay for testing, but if you plan to use longer I'd advise converting these sfs files to use much faster decompression algorithm (zstd recommended) or less compression. You can find a utility for doing exactly that in 12KL_gtkdialogGTK3filemnt64/usr/local/bin. It is a FirstRib utility called "wd_sfsconv.sh".

Whilst I didn't actually have time to do this latest firstribit development really, feedback and test reports are nevertheless welcome and greatly effect the likelihood of future development/improvements (todo eventually...).

By the way, for those of you who are familiar with some FirstRib/KL facilities: yes, you can create "multi-instances" of any of the install results and thus, for example, have hundreds or thousands of independent Linux Mint frugal installs for only an additional initial storage space of a thousand or two bytes extra per instance...

An expanded version of firstribit will follow that allows editing of the main root-filesystem, via a simple plugin file saying what to add or remove, followed by its recompression. My main purpose for that planned extra utility is because I want to use that to REMOVE underlying components to hopefully relatively easily create, for example, the plug-file reproducable likes of a Puppy-sized FR_Mint... That, I feel and believe, is the beauty of the simple, modular like-lego, FirstRib/KL distro building methodology. I hope, however, you find this particular firstribit utility interesting and/or useful whether you otherwise use KL/FR distros or not; it illustrates the generic nature of the FR initrd and the "relative" ease of complex distro building provided via the FirstRib approach, invisible though it is to the likes of any Distrowatch-type audience ...

Nevertheless, in my some would say 'biased opinion', KL/FR (with the likes of firstribit, KL_full2frugal, and multi-instance) is running out of space in its single main front page section, which results in sub-section posts quickly disappearing from view, and thus, I believe, limits overall KL/FR participation and usefulness in terms of encouraging new forum membership and development activity, which I feel is what really matters rather than any particular distro or project itself. Anyway, not my call; new "firstribit" sub-section added for now on Puppy Linux forum.

EDIT: I forgot to account for non-iso based distros such as Fedora cmdline. Already fixed in my dev version so will update on gitlab tomorrow. Haven't tried some tricky ones like austrumi or Regatta or 4mLinux or Regatta so do report... since I'm likely needing to fix these ones too. EDIT2: Fedora RAWHIDE cmdline turns out to need bit more work - don't have time right now - maybe next month... many of the rest are fine.

Simple fxxxit plugfile example is attached. This simple plugin example just prints an 'ALL GOOD TO GO!!!' message at the end of the build if (optionally used).

Attachments
f_it_SimpleExample.plug.tar
just remove dummy tar and optionally use as first argument with firstribit
(30 Bytes) Downloaded 30 times

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

williwaw

Re: Announcing firstribit

Post by williwaw »

FR script downloaded from gitlab no problem
just mulling about a target distro and will give it a try :thumbup:

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Accolades sent via PM.

Trapster

Post by Trapster »

Does this work for both 32 and 64 bit systems?

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I think so.

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:31 pm

I think so.

Should for most 32bit distro builds currently. But I haven't tried so please let me know. Exception for now probably is if an Arch-based 32bit build used as the base, but let me know if such planned - that would need an alternative kmod-including version of FR skeleton initrd (a 64-bit kmod FR initrd is already being provided and used).

The need in that special case for kmod is that (at least last time I tried) simple busybox cannot modprobe zstd compressed modules; at least that was the problem as far as my memory recalls... but easy to add kmod needs to FR initrd anyway.

Per usual, feedback report on whatever distro build tried via firstribit (or mod/addition to firstribit) will be best to get me (eventually) fixing any issues.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

KDE neon is actually catered for in firstribit (menu item 14), @Clarity. I haven't tried it in this firstribit release (but worked in weedogit). Let me know if it is working; I'll look into it for next release if it isn't.

EDIT: Just tried (with user firstrib with password firstrib, and it works fine). Posting from it now. Nice distro. You can probably login to desktop as user root with password root too. Some distros (MX Linux?) allow that (now tried, but FR'd Neon doesn't seem to allow root login to desktop by default, but probably could be arranged...).

save2flash, run from Konsole, also worked fine to save my wifi connection info (despite yad not being installed in KDE neon by default).

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hi @wiak

As I have not 'installed' anything is over 4 years, I need to review how to go thru the motions of a frugal with all the steps toward GRUB2 Menu modifications. And on the old PCs I have, the bare metal one I used today has little to no system drive space. Thus for the tests, today, booting from its ISO, results in desktops for reviews.

Is there a possibility of an ISO forthcoming from your current test?

AND, thanks for your preliminary showing.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Clarity wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:22 am

Hi @wiak

As I have not 'installed' anything is over 4 years, I need to review how to go thru the motions of a frugal with all the steps toward GRUB2 Menu modifications. And on the old PCs I have, the bare metal one I used today has little to no system drive space. Thus for the tests, today, booting from its ISO, results in desktops for reviews.

Is there a possibility of an ISO forthcoming from your current test?

AND, thanks for your preliminary showing.

Firstribit makes FR-based frugal installs. Turning a frugal install into an iso is a separate process in reality, even if done as a function in a script. The problem with your request is that mainstream isos, like KDE Neon are very large so very time-consuming to make and upload like alone the problem of finding reliable cloud storage space without bandwidth restraints. Keep in mind that most do not request such an iso, so only a near one-off piece of work so hardly worth the time involved in list of todo priorities. But the huge iso making and storing isnt the only issue... KDE Neon already exists with presumably its own copyright. Firstribit can't reasonably publish its own alternative KDE Neon live iso...; providing a script that modifies a user's copy of neon iso is a different matter. Effectively, only reasonable way to do it would be to supply extended script that allowed user to make iso for themselves, but that needs iso-making utilities on user host system and efi boot bits and pieces and so on, so tricky albeit later considered since certainly possible. Maybe someone else could write iso making script tho you'd have to run it on suitably set up host; debiandog with xorriso comes to mind.

To be frank, Clarity, it is a near trivial matter to make a normal firstribit frugal install onto a Ventoy usb and to boot that via Ventoy. I am not pushing you into that, but you are missing out IMO by rejecting simple normal frugal install arrangements. They may to you appear less intuitive to booting iso from Ventoy, but the steps to do so are simple and tiny. Firstribit is just a convert to FR/KL tool, just that one job, but it doesnt also create isos. A different tool could do that; yes I know DD mklive scripts include that function built in, but that requires special host setup. Firstribit can be run from any host without worrying about efi/iso making additional installed software - best kept separate for widest flexibility so what you should request is someone to script iso making for KL frugal installs.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

@wiak. One automated :thumbup: isn't enough. :thumbup: :D :thumbup2: :D

Just what I was looking for.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Forgot to include save2flash capability for the rough TinyCoreLinux firstribit conversion. Fixing that for next release since FR of TCL is fast and interesting really, even if new app installation has to be handling using actual TCL package management won't work so will have to be done differently.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

Some teething troubles with this one, but it is going pretty much okay now... FirstRib driven Fedora LxQt with save on demand persistence via wd_changes=RAM2 mode per usual.

Attachments
fedora.jpg
fedora.jpg (42.54 KiB) Viewed 1874 times

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Noblepup64-FR set up using the FirstRibIt script:

Screenshot(5).jpg
Screenshot(5).jpg (22.12 KiB) Viewed 1801 times

Operating System:
 Distro Name                NoblePup64 24.04 (x86_64)
 Woof-CE Build              testing;bf68c40;2024-06-13 09:18:03 +0100
 Woof Version               9
 Binary Base                ubuntu
 Distro Base                noble
 Distro Date                Jun 2024
 User Session               x11
 Window Manager             JWM v2.4.3
 Desktop Start              xwin jwm

Linux Kernel:
 Kernel Build               6.8.1 (x86_64)
 Build Date                 Sat Jun  1 02:25:15 UTC 2024
 Build GCC                  13.2.0-23ubuntu4
 SMP Enabled                Yes
 PAE Enabled                Yes
 Command Line               w_bootfrom=LABEL=psystem=/Noble64-FR net.ifnames=0

Boot State:
 Boot Mode                  BIOS (Legacy Boot)

Distro State:
 PUPMODE                    Mode 2 (full install)

Session State:
 Username                   root
 Language                   en_US.UTF-8
 Keyboard                   us
 Timezone                   America/New_York

Network Profile:
 Firewall                   On (ip_tables active)
 Network Interface          eth0
 Wireless Network           No wireless connection
TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Checked Distrowatch for something interesting to run as a first off with firstribit. I downloaded the new release of Endeavour Linux( Endeavour 2024.06.25) from a few days ago. After running the script, adding a stanza to grub.cfg the new install booted and ran without issue. Any concerns of running without extracting kernel modules and firmware were allayed. So far all checked working well. So this release is KDE Plasma 6.1 with X11. I'm not sure at present if it includes Wayland.

I haven't run save2 flash yet, so that's the next test.

Edit: After running save2flash and then rebooting. All is good on reboot.

@wiak Excellent, thank you.

Edit 2: The included kernel is 6.9.6-arch1-1

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Built one with Debian Live Bookworm LXQt. All worked as expected on my Windows 7 era desktop.

Save2flash worked after I installed yad.

Dan

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

I have long wanted to try EndeavorOS, and at the same time try out firstribit .
It’s a pity, of course, that they have Plasma KDE, without wayland

Cool Firstribit, Thanks! @wiak

Attachments
Screenshot_20240704_020619.png
Screenshot_20240704_020619.png (280.14 KiB) Viewed 1672 times

KL
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Sofiya wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:32 pm

I have long wanted to try EndeavorOS, and at the same time try out firstribit .
It’s a pity, of course, that they have Plasma KDE, without wayland

Yes, it was disappointing that the Live system runs with X rather than Wayland.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

EndeavourOS Linux x86_64 - KDE Plasma - Arch linux :thumbup:

Attachments
Снимок экрана_20240704_051638.png
Снимок экрана_20240704_051638.png (245.66 KiB) Viewed 1646 times

KL

wiak

Post by wiak »

Try:

pacman -S plasma-wayland-session

Then logout and see if wayland option available on login screen

Also, just in case, see:

I'm out and on android phone so can't check

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

Neon KDE seems fast and impressive per @Claritycomments. Forgot to check if it is using wayland by default

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

Will be releasing update soon. Fixes save2flash for Tiny core linux, but main extra is that I have Fedora distros working - these are tricky to configure, but I really like them. Lots of Fedora desktop variants are available in latest Fedora releases. I hope to check clear linux and regatta again, which are also difficult ones to extract from.

My later plan to remove some contents of some of these to maks them Puppy sized convenient appeals to me. No reason most of them cant also use puupy style huge kernels - in fact my KL FR Fedora builds do exactly that.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Neon KDE has a login and choice of X11 or Wayland .Neon KDE is much faster.
EndeavorOS automatically logs you into your desktop without selecting a session

Last edited by Sofiya on Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

KL

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

I'm telling you from KDE-Neon plasma - Wayland
and yet Arch KDE is better :thumbup:

Attachments
Снимок экрана_20240704_151414.png
Снимок экрана_20240704_151414.png (266.49 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
Снимок экрана_20240704_132057.png
Снимок экрана_20240704_132057.png (196.73 KiB) Viewed 1546 times

KL

esos

Post by esos »

@wiak
Thanks for your hardwork.
Spiral linux and 4m work for me.
How to activate save2flash?
Thanks

wiak

Post by wiak »

esos wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:54 pm

@wiak
Thanks

If the very last line in the case statement function for the distro contains the line:

_get_layer_addons01

then save2flash should simply work in the firstribit built distro.

There is no graphical frontend provided for it, but to use save2flash you simply open a terminal and enter the command:

save2flash

This assumes that you have used the grub config stanza given by firstribit at the end of the build (i.e. contains the kernel line argument: w_changes=RAM2, which is always suggested by firstribit as the default FR save persistence RAM mode).

Thanks for you report re Spiral LInux. Assuming nothing tricky required (just typical Debian-based) I'll add that in next firstribit release; if anything special was required compared to other Debian-based distros, please let me know (best in that scenario just to provide the case statement function that worked).

EDIT: Note that I'm surprised 4M still worked; that was a tricky one to convert for FR use (in original weedogit) so imagined things might have changed since weedogit days.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

You can just put a link or make a .desktop file on your desktop to /usr/bin/save2flash if you want a button to click like Puppy.

wiak

Post by wiak »

esos wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:54 pm

@wiak
Thanks

Just realized what you mean when working on getting another distro to work. The save2flash command won't work with certain distros that start with blank password since the 'user' it seems does not have sudo rights (that's what I 'think' at the moment without further investigation). You should still in such cases be able to save on demand (I think) by instead of using command save2flash use:

sudo snapmergepuppy

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

What's the best way to pack and unpack the .sfs file?

wiak

Post by wiak »

dancytron wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:18 pm

What's the best way to pack and unpack the .sfs file?

Ok, I'm guessing you want to edit it.

Per usual, just use unsquashfs, but just in case you want to run the distro with the 08filesystem.sfs in unsquashed form the only thing you need to ensure is that the uncompressed form is named with two digits 12 at the beginning.

so could use the likes of:

unsquashfs 08filesystem.sfs
mv squashfs-root 08squashfs-root  # or if you like: 08filesystem (only the two digits matter).

Or in one step could use:

unsquashfs 08filesystem.sfs -d 08filesystem

But note, if intending to run with uncompressed 08filesystem/ for more responsive (but larger storage required) system that you can't have two files (or directories) named 08 so either delete one of them or rename it. I often just stick a capital "D" in front of name to effectively Disable it from being used in the overlay... so, for example, could rename original 08filesystem.sfs to D08filesystem.sfs

Then do whatever editing you want, perhaps via a chroot or straight...

To re-squash, use mksquashfs with whatever compression you want to use. For faster response, but reasonable compression I suggest zstd so could use:

mksquashfs 08filesystem/ 08filesystem.sfs -comp zstd -Xcompression-level 19 -b 1024K

EDIT: Just had massive thunderstorm here and my starlink internet went down. Lightning strike followed immediately with huge thunder so though starlink antenna blasted for a while... but obviously must have just hit somewhere else in the garden... Whole house shaking like earthquake... but just huge thunder... Came with huge cloud-burst of rain - flooding the ground outside in wee but fast flowing rivers. Oh the fun and excitement ;-)

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Thanks. Exactly what I needed.

Here in the American Midwest, we call that weather.

In the beginning of June, it hailed 4 times in 1 week.

Return to “firstribit”