Arbitrary Harrasment by Bigpup

Ideas and discussion

stemsee

Arbitrary Harrasment by Bigpup

Post by stemsee »

I made a post in kernels about kernel 6.9.4 .... within a short time of posting bigpup issued a warning, that my thread would be moved somewhere else if I did not share my work. In the meantime I compiled another kernel 6.9.7, and I went out of my way to hurriedly share my huge and sources. So then bigpup folded that latter post into the former post! Now if this is normal for him to do so then look at these screenshots and ask am I getting special treatment or what? My point is that bigpup is going out of his way to abuse authority in a non-arbitrary way as he is targeting my posts! Why not fold ozsouth's "superseded superseded supersede" and Rockedge's too? I contributed dollars to this forum.

Attachments
xscreenshot-20240703T112847.png
xscreenshot-20240703T112847.png (104.47 KiB) Viewed 1622 times
xscreenshot-20240703T112914.png
xscreenshot-20240703T112914.png (59.73 KiB) Viewed 1622 times
ozsouth

Re: Arbitrary Harrasment by Bigpup

Post by ozsouth »

I would be happy for my 'superseded' kernel posts to be deleted, instead of clogging up the forum. Some are on archive.org, some not. Whenever I am the only poster, I am able to remove my own 'superseded' & do.

RSH

Post by RSH »

Perhaps it was inattention regarding the version number?

My OS: ArtStudio64 - a Woof-CE built from Bionic 18.04
Running in RAM only, no save file, no save folder
www.youtube.com/@RainerSteffenHain

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@stemsee :-

stemsee wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:39 am

I contributed dollars to this forum.

Yup; me too (in my case, British pounds). But there's a wee bit more to this than meets the eye, mate.

RSH wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:13 pm

Mm.....not exactly. There's a bit more to it than that, Rainer. Back-track 3, 3½ years....

When Erik mentioned about the fact that he was getting 'snowed-under' with admin stuff back near the beginning of the new Forum, certain of us stepped forward to offer assistance. @Flash , as we know, has long experience with the old Forum. @Wiz57 has long experience of moderating on at least 2 other fora that I know of, if not 3. I'd had a couple of years experience as part of a team of 10 moderating a big forum over at BleepingComputer, so I volunteered my services.

All three of us already knew what we were doing.

Bigpup pretty much talked himself into the job. He's always been quite critical of the laid-back Puppy approach to community stuff, but.....and this is a BIG 'but'.....you have to realise, he's essentially 'learning on the job'. He also seems to have a very different approach to the rest of us; for instance, he's the ONLY mod I've ever come across who will openly mess around with another staff member's posts! Gets my goat a bit, too, but in some instances he's actually right in what he does.......although this does NOT instill any kind of trust amongst the team.

I've never come across anybody who's quite as 'pernickety' and 'fussy' about everything being in precisely the right place, but you can understand it to some extent; the old Forum was utter chaos at the best of times - no reflection on dear old Flash, 'cos JM hadn't given him that much in the way of tools to work with! I also fail to see the need to adhere rigidly to a fixed set of 'rules'; we're all adults here, not an unruly crowd of 6-yr olds. But it's coming to something when even other staff members never know from one minute to the next whether their posts will suddenly disappear..... :roll:

Mike. :o ;)

RSH

Post by RSH »

@mikewalsh

But it's coming to something when even other staff members never know from one minute to the next whether their posts will suddenly disappear..... :roll:

Ok.

Maybe there should be a separate forum right below

Before Installing Puppy, README FIRST

This forum should be used ONLY to announce topics that have been removed.
So, there would be a place for users and guests to search/look for a missing by moving topic.
It would be an obligation to the admins to announce that they have moved a topic.
Doesn't need to include an explanation why it has been moved.

Just a thought...

My OS: ArtStudio64 - a Woof-CE built from Bionic 18.04
Running in RAM only, no save file, no save folder
www.youtube.com/@RainerSteffenHain

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@RSH :-

Actually, that's not really necessary, Rainer. There IS a setting in the forum software control panel that allows the creation of what's called a "shadow topic"; this points to a moved topic's new location, though phpBB haven't implemented it in quite the same way as most other forum software does.

Here, the "shadow topic" means you have the same topic in 2 places, and the original needs to be left for a bit until participants have got used to the new location (then it has to be deleted manually). Most others move a thread, and just leave a simple link in place.

Bigpup, apparently, thinks it's more polite to individually PM every member whose post or thread gets moved and explain to them WHY. Seems to me that's creating unnecessary work for himself, but.....that's his choice, of course.

Mike. :o

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:30 pm

@stemsee :-

stemsee wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:39 am

Yup; me too (in my case, British pounds). But there's a wee bit more to this than meets the eye, mate.

RSH wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:13 pm

Mm.....not exactly. There's a bit more to it than that, Rainer.

When Erik mentioned about the fact that he was getting 'snowed-under' with admin stuff back near the beginning of the new Forum, certain of us stepped forward to offer assistance. @Flash , as we know, has long experience with the old Forum. @Wiz57 has long experience of moderating on at least 2 other fora that I know of, if not 3. I'd had a couple of years experience as part of a team of 10 moderating a big forum over at BleepingComputer, so I volunteered my services.

All three of us already knew what we were doing.

Bigpup pretty much talked himself into the job. He's always been quite critical of the laid-back Puppy approach to community stuff, but.....and this is a BIG 'but'.....you have to realise, he's essentially 'learning on the job'. He also seems to have a very different approach to the rest of us; for instance, he's the ONLY mod I've ever come across who will openly mess around with another staff member's posts! Gets my goat a bit, too, but in some instances he's actually right in what he does.......although this does NOT instill any kind of trust amongst the team.

I've never come across anybody who's quite as 'pernickety' and 'fussy' about everything being in precisely the right place, either, but you can understand it to some extent; the old Forum was utter chaos at the best of times - no reflection on dear old Flash, 'cos JM hadn't given him that much in the way of tools to work with! But it's coming to something when even other staff members never know from one minute to the next whether their posts will suddenly disappear..... :roll:

Mike. :o ;)

@mikewalsh
I think your comments about Bigpup could have been made privately. Problems in a team are resolved there.

Born to lose; live to win

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

'pernickety' and 'fussy'

and I just thought it was cause Bigpup used to work at Camp Lejeune.

(and it's persnickity in this country, Mike)

stemsee

Post by stemsee »

ozsouth wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:46 am

I would be happy for my 'superseded' kernel posts to be deleted, instead of clogging up the forum. Some are on archive.org, some not. Whenever I am the only poster, I am able to remove my own 'superseded' & do.

That's not my point .... and you know it!

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@BologneChe :-

I agree. Normally, that would be the preferred course of action.

However, this has now spilt outside of the team. Several people have, over the last year, complained to me privately about Bigpup.....as though they expect ME, personally, to do something about it..??!? Maybe they see me as more "approachable"? I couldn't say. I don't know quite what they think I CAN do about it.

I know my way is rather "chatty". I've always prided myself on being able to talk to anybody at their own level; I don't maintain a "canned" method for interacting with everybody in exactly the same way.....and I don't believe in the tired old cliche that those in authority should maintain a discreet distance from everybody else.

Certainly, anyone in a position of authority within a community should, to the best of their ability, try to project a positive image OF that community.....so that others will WANT to come and join. But I don't think that anyone joining us would then expect to find a stern, headmaster-type admonishing them every time they put a foot wrong. That's NOT the 'Puppy' way; never has been.

Of course you have to impose SOME kind of 'order' in any large group of people.....for the good of all. But you CAN take that too far....

Perhaps I take a strange view of the world. Perhaps I'm the one who's 'out of line'. I don't know. If others think so, I'll apologize. I've never been afraid to do THAT, either!

(*shrug...*)

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

williwaw wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:37 pm

'pernickety' and 'fussy'

and I just thought it was cause Bigpup used to work at Camp Lejeune.

(and it's persnickity in this country, Mike)

@williwaw :-

O-kayyy..... :lol:

And just what country IS that? Remember, ours is a global community. It's not "tied" to any particular nation.....irrespective of wherever the servers and administration reside.

Hmm..?

Mike. ;)

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Camp Lejenue is in the USA

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

williwaw wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:06 pm

Camp Lejenue is in the USA

Heh. Right, right:-

https://www.lejeune.marines.mil/

.....yup, I quite see where you're coming from! :D :lol:

Mike. ;)

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

Darn! Although bigpup did post on the thread, it was ME that "merged" the two topics into ONE! I feel it benefits stemsee and bigpup to have the
two topics in ONE spot, that way stemsee's kernel is located in the topic it was announced on. NOTE...the combined topics are still in the "kernels"
section, just combined into one. The only oddity is that the post with the download link was made prior to stemsee's reply to bigpup, so the
download link is mentioned BEFORE stemsee's reply now.
If you feel the need to blame someone, blame me. Just trying to keep things organized.
As an aside, other mods and admins SHOULD check the MCP (Moderators Control Panel) prior to making comments, could avoid inadvertantly
assigning blame to someone else.
Furthermore, bigpup DID NOT threaten to move the post in question, which is here...read it before making judgement.
viewtopic.php?t=12048
I've also edited the title, to indicate that updates are available, and credited to stemsee.
Apologies for inconvenience.
Wiz

Signature available upon request

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Camp Lejeune

Has (had) lead in the water supply.

and Rockedge's too?

my wife's been complaining about me all day.....now what the (swear word + curse words) am I doing wrong now? :shock:

Thank you! Very much appreciate your contribution. It's expensive to run.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I DID NOTHING YOU ARE POSTING ABOUT!!!!

All I did was make a post that if you make a topic in the Additional Software section.

It needs to also provide a link to be able to download and use the software it is about.
viewtopic.php?p=124856#p124856

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Nice to see that interpersonal issues are not just present between Puppians but also between Mods.

Shit happens.

Always love it when things get resolved. Getting past the negatives is the only way forward...

(P.S: Bigpup is a hard ass but loves Puppy more than almost anyone else so kudos to him...) :thumbup: :thumbup:

superhik

Post by superhik »

bigpup wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:50 am

I DID NOTHING YOU ARE POSTING ABOUT!!!!

All I did was make a post that if you make a topic in the Additional Software section.

It needs to also provide a link to be able to download and use the software it is about.
viewtopic.php?p=124856#p124856

Stemsee was so exhilarated by the success of compiling the kernel that he barely had time to process his own thoughts before rushing to the forum. His fingers danced over the keyboard, each keystroke a testament to his triumph. In his fervor, he hit 'post,' eager to bask in the shared celebration of his peers.

Yet, in the flurry of excitement, he overlooked a crucial detail—the link to his work. It wasn’t arrogance that caused this oversight; it was the intoxicating rush of adrenaline that clouded his usually meticulous nature.

As the reality of his omission settled in, his elation began to wane, replaced by a creeping sense of frustration. It was like the abrupt reversal of a magnet’s poles, the thrill of success giving way to the bitter sting of a minor yet significant error. In the world of administration, he knew all too well, a missing document could derail the best of intentions. The emotional rollercoaster left him reeling, the highs of achievement swiftly undercut by the lows of an unintentional mistake.

Now, sitting in the aftermath of his excitement, another thought began to take root. He had donated money to the forum—a significant sum, in fact. This contribution, he reasoned, afforded him certain liberties. He believed he had earned the right to post freely, to write anything he wanted. After all, his financial support had helped keep the community thriving. This newfound sense of entitlement mingled with his lingering frustration, adding another layer to the complex emotional tapestry of the moment.

Stealing from the poor to give to the rich!
bslit - Block Splitter Custom Calendar Widget + Diary

backi

Post by backi »

@superhik :
:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup2:

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I've also have had sudden success, posted all about it and forgot to add the link...sometimes the link didn't even exist yet.

Did this more than a few times. Also suggested I could help but never really did. :shock: :? :thumbup2: :)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

rockedge wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:33 pm

I've also have had sudden success, posted all about it and forgot to add the link...sometimes the link didn't even exist yet.

Did this more than a few times. Also suggested I could help but never really did. :shock: :? :thumbup2: :)

Been there, done that.....MORE than once, too!

Mike. :oops: :lol:

Flash

Post by Flash »

I constantly edit my posts before anyone has posted to the thread after me. You can still edit your post after someone has replied to the thread, but then the fact that you edited is recorded for all to see.
I edited this post at least 6 times. :)

Chaos coordinator :?

Return to “Forum Organization & Structure Council”