How do I close my forum account?

Moderator: BarryK

Ngungu

How do I close my forum account?

Post by Ngungu »

I have not found the setting in User Control Panel, so please tell me how to close my account.

pp4mnklinux

Why?

Post by pp4mnklinux »

I can't understand the reason to close an account.

Why not simply forget?

Is there any difference between delete an account and stop using a site?

Only for info, thanks for answer me.

:arrow:

XFCE_FUSILLI . ===> https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/

YouTube How_To . ==> https://bit.ly/f96ce_xfce_fusilli_HOWTO

Learning EASY OS . => https://easyos.org/

Ngungu

Re: Closing account

Post by Ngungu »

From my point of view there is no difference, but I consider it a basic courtesy to you to close an account so your admin stays clean. If, however, your recommendation is just to not use the account anymore, fine by me, I'll delete my account data in my password manager.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Thanks for your answer:

I understand it, because I think the same way as u, but my experience teaches me definite solutions are not good.

If you continue thinking this, sometime ago there was this option at the user control panel. I tried to find it, but I can't, so if no one can find it and tell u where is it, you can write a private message to admins asking to delete your account.

Dear Forum Administrators,

I am writing to request the deletion of my account on the Puppy Linux Forum. My username is [YourUsername].

Please let me know if you need any further information to process this request.

Thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,
[Your Name]

but I imagine some other user can tell u where is the link to delete your account.-

Have a nice day.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Ngungu wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:40 pm

I have not found the setting in User Control Panel, so please tell me how to close my account.

Would you like to have your account deleted? I can do that if it is what you request. I can leave any posts you've made or remove those as well as the account is deleted.

bigpup

Re: How do I close my forum account?

Post by bigpup »

Would like to know why you want to do this?

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Ngungu

Post by Ngungu »

@rockedge: yes please, delete my account. My posts can be left because the info in there can be of use to other new users.
Many thanks for your help.

Ngungu

Post by Ngungu »

@bigpup Simple: I want to do this because I am sure I will definitely not use EasyOS anymore, nor will I use Puppy Linux.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

@Ngungu , FOR SURE your reason to decide never again use puppy is more valuable than hundreds of suppositions.

Do you wanna share with us the reason that makes u to be so sure?

Have a nice day (your oppinion would be the best answer to the questions some people are asking themselves)

Ngungu

Post by Ngungu »

@pp4mnklinux Contrary to what its name suggests, EasyOS, which is the distro I tried, is NOT easy. It does not work OOTB. You can see from my few posts that I struggled to get something set up — can't remember exactly what, something to do with Grub. And there were other things that I would want sorted out, but this 1st one p*ssed me off so much that I thought it would be crazy to waste precious time when there are so many other distros.

Furthermore, I found the interface to be unattractive, to put it mildly, it gives a feeling of dating back to the 90s. I know that what really matters is the inside of the distro and the UI is secondary. Nevertheless, I want to be able to enjoy using my distro, and even if it works well, if its UI rubs me the wrong way I will not enjoy using it and will find an alternative.

My apologies if I come across as blunt, but I always believe in calling a spade a spade, and I want to be honest with people. Perhaps I will have alerted you guys to something?

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Ngungu wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:32 am

@pp4mnklinux Contrary to what its name suggests, EasyOS, which is the distro I tried, is NOT easy. It does not work OOTB. You can see from my few posts that I struggled to get something set up — can't remember exactly what, something to do with Grub. And there were other things that I would want sorted out, but this 1st one p*ssed me off so much that I thought it would be crazy to waste precious time when there are so many other distros.

Furthermore, I found the interface to be unattractive, to put it mildly, it gives a feeling of dating back to the 90s. I know that what really matters is the inside of the distro and the UI is secondary. Nevertheless, I want to be able to enjoy using my distro, and even if it works well, if its UI rubs me the wrong way I will not enjoy using it and will find an alternative.

My apologies if I come across as blunt, but I always believe in calling a spade a spade, and I want to be honest with people. Perhaps I will have alerted you guys to something?

Thanks for your answer, I am sure developers and admins can take note of this oppinion.
I agree with you in some aspects (for instance, I am working a lot to adjust easyos to my team needs and I am a little bit worried because I don't know how to solve some of them) and I hope your comment will be really useful and contribute to a better OS (puppy or easy).

Have a nice day, it's your decission, your oppinion, your choice and it's what you want, so no problem.

It's possible , in the future, puppy or easy will work the way u (and much others) want, but (specially with EASY OS) we must not forget there is only one man working on it. Barry (@BarryK ) is doing a fantastic work, but it's as FANTASTIC as "impossible/difficult".

Developing a complete Operating System (OS) is an incredibly challenging and complex task, especially (AS HAPPENS HERE) for a single individual. Although the community's feedback and comments can provide valuable insights and suggestions, the sheer scope and depth of work required for such a project are immense. An OS involves numerous intricate components, including the kernel, device drivers, file systems, user interfaces, and security modules, each requiring extensive knowledge and meticulous attention to detail and trying to satisfy everybody needs is almost impossible.

The process demands not only profound technical expertise in various programming languages and system architectures but also a significant investment of time and effort. Debugging, testing, and ensuring compatibility across different hardware platforms add further layers of complexity. Moreover, staying up-to-date with the latest technological advancements and security standards is crucial to maintain the OS's relevance and robustness.

While community support is beneficial (but don't forget the frequent comments about how this puppy forum work due to some admins or moderatos attitude) , it CANNOT substitute the coordinated effort of a dedicated team of developers, each specializing in different areas of the OS.

The collaborative nature of large-scale projects like Linux or Windows showcases how distributed teamwork and diverse expertise are essential to tackle the multifaceted challenges involved.

Therefore, while the ambition and determination of a single developer are commendable, it is important to acknowledge the limitations and immense difficulty of creating a fully functional and competitive OS alone. The journey may be arduous, but the learning and experiences gained along the way are invaluable, contributing to the developer's growth and the broader tech community.

Y̴o̴u̴r̴ ̴c̴o̴m̴m̴e̴n̴t̴ ̴m̴a̴k̴e̴ ̴m̴e̴ ̴t̴h̴i̴n̴k̴ ̴a̴b̴o̴u̴t̴ ̴t̴h̴i̴s̴,̴ ̴b̴e̴c̴a̴u̴s̴e̴,̴ ̴a̴s̴ ̴I̴ ̴m̴e̴n̴t̴i̴o̴n̴e̴d̴ ̴b̴e̴f̴o̴r̴e̴,̴ ̴ ̴I̴'̴v̴e̴ ̴b̴e̴e̴n̴ ̴f̴a̴c̴i̴n̴g̴ ̴q̴u̴i̴t̴e̴ ̴a̴ ̴f̴e̴w̴ ̴c̴h̴a̴l̴l̴e̴n̴g̴e̴s̴ ̴w̴i̴t̴h̴ ̴E̴a̴s̴y̴O̴S̴ ̴r̴e̴c̴e̴n̴t̴l̴y̴,̴ ̴a̴n̴d̴ ̴i̴t̴'̴s̴ ̴m̴a̴d̴e̴ ̴m̴e̴ ̴r̴e̴c̴o̴n̴s̴i̴d̴e̴r̴ ̴m̴y̴ ̴c̴u̴r̴r̴e̴n̴t̴ ̴s̴e̴t̴u̴p̴.̴ ̴D̴e̴s̴p̴i̴t̴e̴ ̴i̴t̴s̴ ̴i̴n̴n̴o̴v̴a̴t̴i̴v̴e̴ ̴f̴e̴a̴t̴u̴r̴e̴s̴ ̴a̴n̴d̴ ̴f̴l̴e̴x̴i̴b̴i̴l̴i̴t̴y̴,̴ ̴a̴s̴ ̴I̴ ̴s̴a̴i̴d̴ ̴I̴ ̴l̴o̴v̴e̴ ̴i̴t̴s̴ ̴s̴p̴e̴e̴d̴,̴ ̴t̴h̴e̴ ̴c̴o̴m̴p̴l̴e̴x̴i̴t̴i̴e̴s̴ ̴a̴n̴d̴ ̴i̴s̴s̴u̴e̴s̴ ̴I̴'̴v̴e̴ ̴e̴n̴c̴o̴u̴n̴t̴e̴r̴e̴d̴ ̴h̴a̴v̴e̴ ̴s̴i̴g̴n̴i̴f̴i̴c̴a̴n̴t̴l̴y̴ ̴i̴m̴p̴a̴c̴t̴e̴d̴ ̴m̴y̴ ̴w̴o̴r̴k̴f̴l̴o̴w̴.̴ ̴G̴i̴v̴e̴n̴ ̴t̴h̴e̴s̴e̴ ̴d̴i̴f̴f̴i̴c̴u̴l̴t̴i̴e̴s̴,̴ ̴I̴'̴m̴ ̴s̴e̴r̴i̴o̴u̴s̴l̴y̴ ̴c̴o̴n̴t̴e̴m̴p̴l̴a̴t̴i̴n̴g̴ ̴a̴ ̴r̴e̴t̴u̴r̴n̴ ̴t̴o̴ ̴F̴9̴6̴C̴E̴_̴X̴F̴C̴E̴_̴F̴U̴S̴I̴L̴L̴I̴,̴ ̴s̴p̴e̴c̴i̴t̴a̴l̴l̴y̴ ̴w̴h̴e̴n̴ ̴t̴o̴d̴a̴y̴ ̴I̴ ̴w̴a̴s̴ ̴w̴o̴r̴k̴i̴n̴g̴ ̴f̴o̴r̴ ̴S̴p̴a̴n̴i̴s̴h̴ ̴A̴d̴m̴i̴n̴ ̴a̴n̴d̴ ̴I̴ ̴f̴o̴u̴n̴d̴ ̴t̴h̴a̴t̴ ̴I̴ ̴c̴a̴n̴'̴t̴ ̴a̴c̴c̴e̴s̴s̴ ̴t̴o̴ ̴o̴n̴e̴ ̴r̴o̴o̴t̴ ̴f̴o̴l̴d̴e̴r̴ ̴w̴h̴e̴r̴e̴ ̴I̴ ̴s̴a̴v̴e̴d̴ ̴a̴ ̴c̴a̴p̴t̴u̴r̴e̴ ̴I̴ ̴n̴e̴e̴d̴e̴d̴ ̴t̴o̴ ̴a̴d̴d̴ ̴t̴o̴ ̴a̴ ̴f̴o̴r̴m̴u̴l̴a̴r̴i̴e̴.̴
̴
̴T̴h̴i̴s̴ ̴i̴n̴c̴o̴n̴v̴e̴n̴i̴e̴n̴t̴e̴ ̴m̴a̴d̴e̴ ̴m̴y̴ ̴w̴o̴r̴k̴ ̴h̴a̴r̴d̴e̴r̴ ̴s̴o̴ ̴I̴ ̴d̴o̴n̴'̴t̴ ̴w̴a̴n̴t̴ ̴t̴o̴ ̴s̴u̴f̴f̴e̴r̴ ̴i̴t̴ ̴a̴g̴a̴i̴n̴,̴ ̴u̴ ̴k̴n̴o̴w̴.̴

CHEERS (and from me, you will be always welcome again here).

Have a nice summer @Ngungu . :thumbup2:

Attachments
1 julio 2024.jpg
1 julio 2024.jpg (170.32 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
Last edited by pp4mnklinux on Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:51 am, edited 10 times in total.

Ngungu

Post by Ngungu »

@pp4mnklinux Thank you for your kind words. I wish you all the best with tweaking EasyOS just right for your team, and I wish the devs lots of success with improving EasyOS. Best regards, Ngungu

tammi806

Post by tammi806 »

Ngungu wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:32 am

Contrary to what its name suggests, EasyOS, which is the distro I tried, is NOT easy. It does not work OOTB. You can see from my few posts that I struggled to get something set up — can't remember exactly what, something to do with Grub. And there were other things that I would want sorted out, but this 1st one p*ssed me off so much that I thought it would be crazy to waste precious time when there are so many other distros.

Easy OS and Puppy Linux in general can be a PITA and frustrating as there is a lot of new how to do stuff that must be learned with these distros.

Most of the time they work OOTB or have for me on my old pieced together desktops where no two parts are the same on a count of I'm poor.

This forum has a lot of available help for solutions if one has patience something I seem to lack and have lost in my old age.

I go to Google and type in my problem along with "Puppy Linux Forum" and I generally get a lot of solutions to the problem I have.

For myself the secret to solving a problem and finding a solution is to not get to wrapped up in it then become frustrated and pissed off to where I become the problem.

Don't close your account and don't give up sometimes it takes a bit of time to understand this stuff.

Many times I've felt like giving up and glad that I didn't a new day can always make a big difference to finding a solution.

Just an old guy's opinion.

CF-DKS

Post by CF-DKS »

tammi806 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:52 pm

Easy OS and Puppy Linux in general can be a PITA and frustrating as there is a lot of new how to do stuff that must be learned with these distros.

Most of the time they work OOTB or have for me on my old pieced together desktops where no two parts are the same on a count of I'm poor.

This forum has a lot of available help for solutions if one has patience something I seem to lack and have lost in my old age.

I have found EasyOs to be, well, easy. Before Easy I had a nodding acquaintance with Puppy, having used it to rescue data for two of my friend from their Windoz computers when the "professionals" had told them it couldn't be done, and I had played around with Mint and Zoran, but my Linux knowledge was pretty minimal, with essentially no command line experience in Linux and essentially none anywhere since the days of DOS. Because I had become increasingly annoyed with Windows I had been on the lookout for an alternative, and Easy meets or exceeds my needs most of the time. The file system mystified me for awhile, but I have become used to it. I initially tried Buster, then Dunfell, and have been using the latter for a couple of years. It's reliable and pleasant as a daily driver. Lately I have been trying out Kirkstone and now Scarthgap, since I have several old computers to play around on. (family and friends keep giving me their castoffs). I enjoy the forum even if a lot of posts are too technical for me, but learning is good for the brain when you are old! IMO, EasyOs is a wonderful alternative and I will be sticking with it. All thanks to BarryK for this OS.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

I think part of the problem is that anymore ALL operating systems try to insulate the user from anything under the hood and to try and protect them from their own possibly poor decisions. Users are taught how to install apps and use apps, not how to go any deeper. Sort of learning how to drive a car but never looking under the hood or even understanding their car has an engine and transmission. Using different systems lets you learn they all do the same things, just in maybe different ways Some like linux give the user more power, some like Android or ChromeOS try to limit it to an extreme. Microsoft and Apple seem to want to go the Google direction. The ever more closed garden model.

Puppy family actually probably gives you most freedom to modify things. Most of current linux distributions get into a permissions nightmare all in the name of ever more "security". Less power to the user is never more secure IMHO. Yea some of it makes sense in a multi-user system. You dont want everybody to be able to make changes willy nilly, but on a personal one person computer its just a royal PITA. And with apps now able to dictate permissions necessary independent from the operating system, its become a war with the apps trying to bypass and work around too many roadblocks.

bugnaw333

Post by bugnaw333 »

For me, it depends on your needs. I`m still using DOS (DOSBox) database software for my personal use. When I tried the experimental EasyOS before that I really like it and persistently working with @BarryK and @mintsuki in fine tuning Limine bootloader to work on my hardware. Also, @ETP by providing the IPTV(Multi-TV) and Startup Notification progs. Appimages on video work great on this OS--happy enough for an old guy. :lol:

Best regards,
Reynaldo

pp4mnklinux

Don't close your account...plz

Post by pp4mnklinux »

I suggest you not to close your account, mantein the door open, continue here... WHY ?

An example:

Yesterday I found some difficulties, so I though I must go from my recently installed EASY OS to F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI again.

This morning, I reconsider this... so I be back to EASY OS.

You can change your mind and it is possible, in the near future you will need to come here to ask about any solution, to reinstall easy os or...

I know you went out of this forum, so you are not going to read this comment but... 𝐖𝐇𝐎 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖𝐒?

ᶜₕₒₒₛₑ ʸₒᵤᵣ ᶠᵣᵢₑₙᴰₛ, ᶜₕₒₒₛₑ ʸₒᵤᵣ ᶜₒₘₘᵤₙᵢₜʸ ₐₙᴰ ᶠₒᵣᴳₑₜ ₜₕₑ ᵣₑₛₜ

Attachments
1 julio 2024 .jpg
1 julio 2024 .jpg (173.3 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
image(2).jpg
image(2).jpg (68.76 KiB) Viewed 2323 times

Return to “EasyOS”