Back working on Ubuntu WeeDogLinux

e.g. WeeDogLinux new release announcements

wiak

Back working on Ubuntu WeeDogLinux

Post by wiak »

Been a long.... time since I developed or updated anything new for WeeDogLinux, though that's partly because WDL_Arch64 is a rolling distro (per Arch repos) and runs stable and fine for myself and family. However, though I rarely do much if any development work at this time of year (approaching summer where I live), my partner (who uses WDL Arch64 for her main business OS) keeps wanting new software installed, and frankly, Arch Linux is probably not the best distro to use for business purposes.

In particular, some packages a business user might desire are sometimes only available in the Arch User Community Repository (AUR), whereas the same packages are often provided early for Ubuntu distros. Having said that, Arch is one of the best distros to use if you like close to the most up-to-date versions of most common packages, owing to it being a rolling release.

Anyway, WeeDogLinux build scripts were designed to also build Ubuntu (or Debian, Devuan) distros, via the usual debootstrap mechanisms (and in a chroot with no dependencies required on the build host system itself), so I've been experimenting with that during the past 24 hours using main root filesystem build script "build_firstrib_rootfs_latest.sh" (same one used during an Arch build). However, I discovered it was no longer working for Ubuntu because the debootstrap version I had coded into the script was no longer available upstream - also, since I wanted to build a Ubuntu Focal-base WeeDog I wanted to use the latest debootstrap version. My earlier WDL Ubuntu dev work was far from complete, so I've been reorganising that part of the build_firstrib_rootfs script (which should also work with Debian or Devuan builds as before). I now have the draft system booting (following creation of WeeDogLinux initrd via build_weedog_initrd script), and am working on the f_00_Ubuntu_Focal plugin to create a desktop version, by modifying the current WDL_Arch64 plugin to install Ubuntu packages instead of the Arch ones (so overall look and feel comes from WDL_Arch64, including userswitch between root and normal user facility, which I also intend to enhance). Simple ethernet or wifi "wiakwifi" utility is also connecting fine (I don't have ethernet connection to this dev machine, only wifi, so I always get that working early... that's both simple and optional of course - could easily mod it to use any of the typical Puppy wifi connect utilities, or whatever Ubuntu repos could provide). Don't know when first release of this new full desktop WDL_UbuntuFocal will be, but might not be too far away...

In the meantime, I am posting this message from the WeeDog initrd booted WDL_UbuntuFocal64 draft attempt. Won't bother adding a screenshot at this stage since all that would show is basic X with Firefox and xterm on it, with openbox for decoration (as used in WDL_Arch64, but not yet configured in this draft)... This WDL Ubuntu work does mean that I've currently postponed my intended new WDL_Void enhancements, but I wouldn't likely have been doing that intended Void full desktop version till after summer anyway, so its really an unexpected extra that WDL_UbuntuFocal full desktop is on the way... Like all other WeeDog variants it should be extremely stable and RAM and CPU efficient (thanks to WeeDog initrd overlayfs frugal install mechanisms) and this current running draft version suggests that will indeed remain the case. Like WDL_Arch64, I don't intend slimming it down to occupy less hard drive storage space, however, since I personally see little point to that (since even a usb stick has plenty space nowadays, like alone a hard drive, and download size has no effect on RAM or CPU usage unless a user wants to copy whole distro into RAM prior to using it, which I never do since using as little RAM as possible is always my personal aim. I will also be using default systemd, per Ubuntu default configuration, and pulse-audio, since frankly doing so pretty much ensures audio hardware will be auto-detected and working, and overall system easy to control via systemctl utility. If you want non-systemd version (such as old sysVinit), you could modify the f_00 plugin (though you'd have to configure such changes yourself), or I'd advise trying WDL_Void, which uses runit instead.

Per usual WDL releases, no, I don't intend producing an iso, simply a make_Ubuntu_distro build script. Okay, so I did produce a WDL_Slitaz iso, but that is because it was so tiny and easy to produce. Being a rolling distro, I see little point in making a WDL_Arch iso (since first pacman update would be huge download anyway to bring the iso back up to rolling-release current state). I guess, I "might" eventually produce an iso for WDL_Ubuntu variant (since Ubuntu not rolling release really), but iso just becomes old and stale compared to simply make_Ubuntu new one from the single build script... (Yes, I generally don't like iso distros any more - too many big ancient iso files lying around on my usb sticks and hard drive wasting space here... usually just end up having to download newer version of such isos anyway... or have that painful huge update via package manager process going on prior to being able to use the now-old iso anyway...). If a user isn't used to running a single shell script yet, then probably best they don't use WDL anyway, though the install instructions are pretty simple:

1. make an empty directory for the build.
2. copy the single make_WDL_distro script into there and run it (and drink coffee for an hour or till the auto build is complete)
3. configure your grub (or whatever) to boot its vmlinux and initrd per the WDL menu.lst or grub.cfg frugal install format.

wiak

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Back working on Ubuntu WeeDogLinux

Post by rockedge »

Great news!

Now I need the scripts to build WeeDog-Void to work again. Meanwhile I'll build and Ubuntu style one for fun but the work I need to do mostly involves the Void versions.

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:48 pm

Great news!

Now I need the scripts to build WeeDog-Void to work again. Meanwhile I'll build and Ubuntu style one for fun but the work I need to do mostly involves the Void versions.

The problem I have is that you are using very old versions of the build scripts in your Void builds. Why is that? The latest scripts should work or if they do not then I can look into the issue. What I don't want to do is to try and find out why old non-maintained versions of the scripts have issues (that's why build_firstrib_rootfs-latest.sh is created after all - it is the maintained version, fixing issues as raised). So, please try any and all Void builds using only build_firstrib_rootfs-latest.sh and build_weedog_initrd-latest.sh from here:

https://gitlab.com/weedog/weedoglinux/- ... ild_latest

Using and reporting issues on these 'latest' versions of the scripts becomes even more important now since I am in the process of upgrading them whilst working on any Ubuntu/Debian specific parts of them - some of these upgrades (such as busybox initrd version) may well apply to all built distro variants. When there is an issue it is best to always try a build with simplest plug possible (there is one I made and provided for Void Linux) since the issue can be a problem in your plugin rather than the underlying build scripts themselves, so that has to be determined. For accuracy, you can also indicate the actual revision/version number of the scripts (so I can check you are indeed using the latest) since that is indicated in the header of the script itself.

Let me know how future Void build goes (but, please, with build...latest versions of the scripts) and I'll see if I can help resolve any issue(s).

Though I am working on it, building full desktop plugin for Ubuntu similar to that I previously released for Arch64 is quite a big job, so release may be a while yet (depends how much needs modified starting with existing Arch full desktop plugin - most, but not all, package names remain the same between Arch and Ubuntu, but if configurations need major alterations to work then this will be a big job...).

wiak

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I am using the latest pulled from git.

Code: Select all

root# ./build_firstrib_rootfs-latest.sh void roll amd64 firstrib00-64-auto.plug
root# ./build_weedog_initrd-latest.sh void

This error is appearing over and over again and the plug file is not being used when running build_firstrib_rootfs-latest.sh

[*] Configuring unpacked packages
libblkid-2.36_1: configuring ...
libblkid-2.36_1: installed successfully.
libkmod-27_2: configuring ...
libkmod-27_2: installed successfully.
eudev-3.2.9_1: configuring ...
Updating udev hardware database ...
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk3-nocsd.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
Updating udev(7) hwdb.bin...
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk3-nocsd.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
eudev-3.2.9_1: installed successfully.
3 downloaded, 3 installed, 0 updated, 3 configured, 0 removed.

root# ./build_weedog_initrd-latest.sh void
ls: cannot access 'firstrib_rootfs/boot/vmlinuz*': No such file or directory
ls: cannot access 'firstrib_rootfs/boot/vmlinuz*': No such file or directory
sed: -e expression #1, char 2: invalid usage of line address 0

firstrib_rootfs needs to at least include:
linuxX.XX, ncurses-base, and linux-firmware-network,
and optional small extra wifi-firmware.
Or simply install ncurses-base, and template: linux
(which, if Void, also brings nvidia, amd, i915 and more graphics drivers)

This error is showing up all through out the build log:

Also this is what is stopping the older scripts from completing it seems. The version I built and mounted using the script and running in Xnest also was hindered by this error. I have not been able to fix it as of yet.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak
Output of latest run. Host is Fossapup64-9.0.5

build_firstrib_fs.log
(18.87 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:13 am

@wiak
Output of latest run. Host is Fossapup64-9.0.5

build_firstrib_fs.log

Thanks for the reports rockedge. I woke this morning to find our washing machine had stopped working, and then went to drive the Clio 2 car and it was completely dead... However, have now fixed the washing machine and car started this evening (tho no idea how so dodgy...). Tomorrow I'll get back to Ubuntu weedog creation and once progress made will try Void again to see what is going on there.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I had a Clio!! While I lived in Germany it was our second car...bought brand new...all black.. I loved that car and had great luck with it, then I went to a Twingo, great car for the days I worked in the movie biz as a Gaffer. I schleppt all kinds of tools and gear with that automobile.

I just took apart my sister-in-laws dryer...steam and lots of bells and whistles...turns out the belt tension pulley and arm had failed. Broke down the machine to remove the drum to get to the belt tension assembly, and a quick trip into town to the local appliance repair store and bought the right part and re-assembled the thing. It is still running 3 months later. Learned how to do it by a YouTube video.

I am trying to build a fresh WeeDog64-Void to #1 show off to the Zoneminder devs what I mean about dedicated OS running ZM AND #2, mostly to finish developing the plug files to make a WeeDog32 and 64 Void flavor desktop that is outfitted with some good tools, is JWM and ROX based with auto menu generation.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Alas, having made a good start... I haven't been back to work on draft for WDL Ubuntu. Most recently, it was the garden - I suddenly noticed I had neglected it for too long; some areas the grass had shot up to around 1 metre high (oops). Also, over several months, when the desire took me, I had been trimming some trees around the place but just left the big branches in piles on the ground (which ended up hidden under the 1 metre high grass). Today, I moved the branches out from the long grass and most of the grass is now short. Tomorrow I 'hope' to deal with the branches. Problem is that I have now lost track of where I was in the Ubuntu build process, but the part completed f_...plug is still there and I do roughly remember I was comparing Ubuntu packages with Arch ones (since the new Ubuntu plugin is simply modified Arch one) - and, luckily, for the most part most of the package names were the same. Oh well, another couple of days finishing off what I can be bothered doing in the garden for now, or if the rain comes on, and then I'll see if I can recover from where I left off - I had convinced myself I only needed a day or two more to get WDL Ubuntu up and running and looking/acting much like WDL Arch64, though I may be deluded in that belief.

If WDL Ubuntu works according to plan (the quick mods to f_00_Arch plugin), I intend doing the same with Void, but no idea when. I will however look into WDL Void build issues rockedge has had recently to see if something to do with build scripts or the plugin being used.

wiak

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

When it comes to getting back to developing WDL version using Void Linux repos/xbps::

I am bit confused...

which to use...

https://github.com/void-linux/xbps

https://gitlab.com/xtraeme/xbps

Currently seems to be the first, but some kind of logic tends to whisper in my ear that the second is the most longterm likely...

Seems to me that xbps is primarily the work of xtraeme (Juan R P) and cannot or at least should not be taken as otherwise.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

wiak wrote:

Currently seems to be the first, but some kind of logic tends to whisper in my ear that the second is the most longterm likely...

I agree, confusing....but it does appear the second option will be the one. Although it might be possible some of the co-authors of xbps are still with Void Linux

I really like WeeDog-Void (both 32 and 64 bit) I have excellent performance across various types of machines. Also the easy ability to build from a bare minimum system to a full powered with bells & whistle version(s) is most useful.

with systems running things like Zoneminder and zmeventnotification server with object /face recognition using runit is a breeze and rock solid.

I'm looking forward to building a couple and really fine tuning my plug files and smoothing out the desktop the plug files will produce.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I attempted to build xbps in Fossapup64.....it almost worked. The compile errors out quite deep in the process.

Now I wonder if I should chase down why the compile stopped and see if I can get a finished version. I have no idea if xbps compiled in a Puppy Linux will actually do anything of use but it will be interesting if successful to see what the xbps-puppy version will do.

It's just like the experiment running sc0ttman's scripts viewtopic.php?f=94&t=1460

to see what would happen if I just used "zoneminder" as the package.....and was I surprised as the PET building process completed successfully and I was presented with a shiny new Zoneminder PET file built using the Arch PKGBUILD recipes. I have to actually set up a new Fossapup64 to test out if I can get a Zoneminder system running using this PET......

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:43 pm

I attempted to build xbps in Fossapup64.....
It's just like the experiment running sc0ttman's scripts viewtopic.php?f=94&t=1460

to see what would happen if I just used "zoneminder" as the package.....and was I surprised as the PET building process completed successfully and I was presented with a shiny new Zoneminder PET file built using the Arch PKGBUILD recipes.

Interesting experiments! No reason why xbps couldn't be made to work in Puppy (tho would have to sort out effect that would have in terms of clashes with PuppyPackageManager unless taken account of in modified Pkg perhaps). There is also static version of xbps, which is what is used by build_firstrib script for Void WeeDog builds.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak
I ran the scripts:

./build_firstrib_rootfs_104.sh void roll amd64 firstrib00-64-auto.plug
./build_weedog_initramfs05_s207.sh void

which suddenly built a WeeDog64-Void with the plug file successfully. Host was a Fossapup64 and WeeDog64-Void was built to a USB drive. So surprised that I ran the script to build Zoneminder...which also completed successfully.

Will report more after some rest.

2020-11-28-030944_1024x768_scrot.png
2020-11-28-030944_1024x768_scrot.png (79.66 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
wiak

Post by wiak »

No-one is asking, but since I declared I was back working on a Ubuntu full-desktop WeeDogLinux in the style of existing WDL Arch64 I should confess that the 'garden' suddenly took over my life (rampantly invasive bamboo in particular). I had made a lot of progress in but a day and felt I might have first build ready in a day or two more, but then came the bamboo attack and now summer becomes in full-swing with Christmas approaching and family commitments so the pot is off the burner for a while again. I will certainly get back to it sooner or later though, since my household has expressed an overall interest in the alternative, though fine with the current WDL Arch64 version, which is proving easy to keep current and particularly stable. The only reason I really want to make an equivalent Ubuntu-repo variant is that some business software tends to get better support on Ubuntu platform (though the Arch AUR community nearly always does a great job in providing most anything not in official Arch repos). Anyway, I will say no more about it until an actual release is ready, which may appear unexpectedly and out of the blue should I suddenly be in the mood despite (and perhaps because of) more pressing demands... Of course I'm also planning to produce a similar full desktop Void version, since using Void package manager xbps was my first incentive to make a WeeDog Linux and remains my ultimate personal interest and focus.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Return to “Announcements”