Portable Firefox ESR startup

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Barkingmad

Portable Firefox ESR startup

Post by Barkingmad »

Hello

I've downloaded the portable Firefox package that's available from Mikewalsh's repo but now am not sure how it's meant to be started up.

I made a folder called "Firefox" and unpacked the download archive into it.

First level down is a folder "FF78esr-64. Inside that are folders "firefox64" and "firefox64.bak" and a symlink called "LAUNCH" that apparently points to firefox64/ff. left click on the "LAUNCH" link gives a "profile missing" error ......profile cannot be loaded.........

Inside the the "firefox 64" folder, amongst everything else, there is the file "ff" which is a script which I can't follow but there is also a file "firefox" with a "cog" icon. Clicking on this starts Firefox and all seems to be well, I have made some minor changes eg to the start page and they are remembered so I assume there must be a working profile somewhere.

After all this ramble what I wanted to know is how am I supposed to start this up? Will there be any problem if I just make a symlink, say on the desktop, pointing to the firefox "cog" file?

Thanks for any help
Will

backi

Re: Portable Firefox ESR startup

Post by backi »

Hi Barkingmad!

This "ff" file is the Start Key .

Inside the the "firefox 64" folder, amongst everything else, there is the file "ff" which is a script

Clicking this " ff " Script-file should start your Portable Firefox ESR........which does automatically creates working profile inside this Folder.
"ff" can be sym-linked to some convenient place to start your firefox.

In case your problem is already solved .....please report back.

Last edited by backi on Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
backi

Post by backi »

del

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@backi :-

Will's problem DID get 'sorted'. He started two threads on the same issue, and we sorted it out over here:-

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1606

Turned out it was MY fault; I'd made a couple of major 'boo-boos' when building this particular one, so that's why Will was having problems with it. That, and just not being familiar with the operation of the 'portables'.....

Mike. ;)

Barkingmad

Post by Barkingmad »

Hello

My apologies for leaving this thread hanging. I started it then thought that perhaps this section was more for announcements and requests rather than help with using existing offerings but couldn,t find a way to move this thread. I should have posted a link t the new one I made to explain.

Sorry :oops:
Will

Return to “Users”