How to turn off Desktop statistics in Fossapup?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

djlsky

How to turn off Desktop statistics in Fossapup?

Post by djlsky »

I have seen many screen shots (on wallpapers) with a statistics list (Systems, Processes, Resources,etc.) that show activity in real time. My previous versions of puppy did not have those stats on the desktop(s). As I am not a developer and frequently get my Luddite friends to get off of Windows with puppy I need to TURN OFF the statistics as it "scares" (literally) most of the Luddites.

I am now working on a first pass of Fossapup64 and do not know how to turn it off. When I first booted the stats were not on the screen, however, the first time I used the JWM Desktop Manager the stats showed up. I did not have this issue with the Bionic puppy, or the JWM Desktop manager turning them on.

Note the JWM Desktop manager is much improved ( great job).

Thanks, Dennis

Jafadmin

Re: Remove Desktop statistics

Post by Jafadmin »

IIRC, there is a 'conky' link in the Startup directory. At any rate, that "stats" feature is called Conky.
https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky

TerryH

Re: How to turn off Desktop statistics in Fossapup?

Post by TerryH »

Using the JWMDesk > Conky Settings Utility will allow you to turn off conky from starting. Not in Fossapup64 at present so can't be more specific.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

I totally fail to understand how simply showing system information on the screen can possibly scare anybody...!! :lol: :lol:

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

WoodLark

Post by WoodLark »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:27 pm

I totally fail to understand how simply showing system information on the screen can possibly scare anybody...!! :lol: :lol:

Mike. ;)

I can understand; they probably find all those statistics "too techie" and are afraid that puppy will be over their heads. Personally, I have never seen the value of all those statistics on the desktop. I edit conkyrc so tha the only things displayed are the hostname and ip address.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

WoodLark wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:35 am
mikewalsh wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:27 pm

Mike. ;)

I can understand; they probably find all those statistics "too techie" and are afraid that puppy will be over their heads. Personally, I have never seen the value of all those statistics on the desktop. I edit conkyrc so tha the only things displayed are the hostname and ip address.

@WoodLark :-

Mm-hm. Yes, I can certainly see your point..... Some like a 'busy' desktop; I'm a prime example of that, I admit. Others like their desktop to be a calm, quiet, restful place.

To each their own. I have no problem with that.....such a choice will always a personal one.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

djlsky

Post by djlsky »

Thanks Jafadmin, that was the ticket.
I know, I know how can a few bits really scare people. I've been in IT for over 40 years and have seen it all, including the dreaded "coffee holder broken error". But people (especially Luddites) fixate on things that change, it must MEAN something so if its there it MUST be serious! With non tech users less IS MORE! (That's why APPLE was invented!, DOS was too complicated). Many thanks, Dennis :thumbup2:

Return to “Users”