PeasyScale has disappeared from the right-click menu in Rox file manager

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Governor

PeasyScale has disappeared from the right-click menu in Rox file manager

Post by Governor »

PeasyScale has disappeared from the right-click menu in Rox file manager, but it is still in the main menu on the taskbar under "Graphic".
How can PeasyScale be returned to the Rox right-click menu when right-clicking on an image?
Thanks.

Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out alive.

bigpup

Re: PeasyScale has disappeared from the right-click menu in Rox file manager

Post by bigpup »

Right click on an image and select customise menu---

A Rox window should open showing other symbolic links to other programs for that type image.

If peasyscale is not there.

In another rox window.

open /usr/share/applications

From it drag and drop peasyscale.desktop file onto the other rox window and select to make it a symbolic link.
You can remove the .desktop from the symbolic link, so in the menu it will just be peasyscale.

But I really do not understand why you are constantly having issues.
No idea why this right click menu got changed by something you did.

Note:
This custom menu is specific to the type of image. Each type will have a custom menu.
So other type images may also need this done.
But if they do.
You really did something to mess up stuff.

I strongly suggest you stop running in RAM only mode. Run using a save folder or file.
Boot making a save.
Get it all setup and working good.
Make a copy of this good save.

If you change anything and it all still works OK with the save.
Make a new copy of this newer save as a backup.

When you mess up stuff.
Delete the bad save and replace with the good copy you made.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Governor

Post by Governor »

bigpup wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:43 am

Right click on an image and select customise menu---

A Rox window should open showing other symbolic links to other programs for that type image.

If peasyscale is not there.

In another rox window.

open /usr/share/applications

From it drag and drop peasyscale.desktop file onto the other rox window and select to make it a symbolic link.
You can remove the .desktop from the symbolic link, so in the menu it will just be peasyscale.

But I really do not understand why you are constantly having issues.
No idea why this right click menu got changed by something you did.

I have no idea what happened or if I did or didn't do somethiong that could have removed PeasyScale from the menu.

Note:
This custom menu is specific to the type of image. Each type will have a custom menu.
So other type images may also need this done.

I strongly suggest you stop running in RAM only mode. Run using a save folder or file.
Boot making a save.
Get it all setup and working good.
Make a copy of this good save.

If you change anything and it all still works OK with the save.
Make a new copy of this newer save as a backup.
When you mess up stuff.
Delete the bad save and replace with the good copy you made.

I would love to be able to re-boot and not have to reconfigure all of my settings every time, but it has not happened yet, and I have tried dozens of times. So far, savfile and savfolder have not accomplished anything as far as saving my configuration and re-booting with the saved configuration. I can fiddle more with it when I get more time, but I am shooting in the dark, so to speak.

Last edited by Governor on Sat May 25, 2024 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:59 am

[I would love to be able to re-boot and not have to reconfigure all of my settings every time, but it has not happened yet, and I have tried dozens of times. So far, savfile and savfolder have not accomplished anything as far as I can see. I can fiddle more with it when I get more time.

I've followed your struggle with persistence since the first attempts at running fossapup, and though it's difficult to keep up with your current setup, I did take a glance at a recent gparted screenshot you posted of your nvme drive and attached usb drive.

So I have thoughts.

1) I remember fossapup64_9.5 may have issues accessing modern nvme drives. A more recent OS would be advantageous in order to boot (probably from an attached USB drive) and reformat that internal nvme using the latest gparted and drivers. Best chance at success imo.

2) You've got a lot of ntfs, exfat, fat32 type action happening. Those should be eliminated, and since we all would like to have data accessible to microsoft OS's, an external drive with one of those MS partition formats should be created as a mirror/synced backup of your actual working data which would reside on a linux partion either on the internal drive or external drive. I have tools to keeep these in sync. Simple rssync scripts which can be run and will update your fat32 copy of data in a matter of minutes, mirroring whatever you did on your working linux data partition.

3) Before reformatting and shuffling things around, a slow and CAREFUL testing process of each element should happen first. Like leaving everything the way it is on the internal drive, and creating a USB thumb boot of a new OS, maybe Bookworm, vanillaDpup, or whatever might be a good candidate to manipulate that internal drive effectively.

4) When a good OS is installed externally to reformat your setup. Then there should a slow and careful thought process, with detailed and focused questions posted on the forum to seek advice on how to organize the formating, install a new OS on the nvme, and re-organize the data partitions.

5) Managing huge libraries of data takes a lot of energy, and I do this all the time as I have years of videos, audio, pics, docs, config files, scripts on external 3TB drives that must be kept in sync in case one or more goes bad, or I screw something up through carelessness. Best to seek the advice of people who have working data storage routines.

We are all busy, so all in good time. I'm in the process of moving my audio studio, which consist of mixing boards, furniture, 5 drumsets, 10 amplifiers, etc...

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Governor

Post by Governor »

geo_c wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:59 pm
Governor wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:59 am

[I would love to be able to re-boot and not have to reconfigure all of my settings every time, but it has not happened yet, and I have tried dozens of times. So far, savfile and savfolder have not accomplished anything as far as I can see. I can fiddle more with it when I get more time.

I've followed your struggle with persistence since the first attempts at running fossapup, and though it's difficult to keep up with your current setup, I did take a glance at a recent gparted screenshot you posted of your nvme drive and attached usb drive.

So I have thoughts.

8<----snipped-----

I appreciate your thoughts. I am going to try and arrange a thumbdrive to boot KLV-Airedale, but before I do that, I am going to restructure my FAT32 partition and convert it to ext3. I heard recently that ext4 is not as problemfree as ext3 (?).

In any event, I do not expect to be able to avoid having to re-configure all of my settings when I re-boot, no matter what I boot into.
Thanks.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:49 pm

I heard recently that ext4 is not as problemfree as ext3 (?).

In any event, I do not expect to be able to avoid having to re-configure all of my settings when I re-boot, no matter what I boot into.
Thanks.

I've heard that ext4 has issues also, but I have never encountered any, and all my partions are ext4 except external fat32 for MS accessible data.

If Airedale is running successfully on USB, it will store your settings on the USB drive itself. The stock boot stanzas for Airedale has w_changes=RAM2, which means you have to tell it to save, but I always delete that parameter and my changes are written directly when made, so it functions like a normal install. There should be no problem with this persistence if you do it that way, as there is no need to do anything like tell it "where" to store the persistent folder. You can also run @fredx181's backup/restoresys script included in Airedale to backup up the changes, and you won't be given a choice at boot like in a puppy to boot the backup like puppy does, so there should be no confusion there.

geo_c

Governor

Post by Governor »

geo_c wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:02 pm

I heard recently that ext4 is not as problemfree as ext3 (?).

Thanks.

I've heard that ext4 has issues also, but I have never encountered any, and all my partions are ext4 except external fat32 for MS accessible data.

If Airedale is running successfully on USB, it will store your settings on the USB drive itself. The stock boot stanzas for Airedale has w_changes=RAM2, which means you have to tell it to save, but I always delete that parameter and my changes are written directly when made, so it functions like a normal install. There should be no problem with this persistence if you do it that way, as there is no need to do anything like tell it "where" to store the persistent folder. You can also run @fredx181's backup/restoresys script included in Airedale to backup up the changes, and you won't be given a choice at boot like in a puppy to boot the backup like puppy does, so there should be no confusion there.

I first have to figure out how to get the KLV-Airedale-sr12.iso file onto the USB in bootable format.
Thanks.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

If you can boot Fossapup64 9.5 and run programs from it.

I suggest you install BookwormPup64 10.0.6 to a USB stick.
It has the latest changes and updates.
One of them being fixes for support of nvme drives.

I do all my USB stick installs this way so I can put multiple frugal installs on it. All different Puppy versions.
viewtopic.php?t=11171

It seems like a lot of steps, but I wanted to cover all parts of using Frugalpup installer, so people would not wonder, what do I do here?

Fossapup64 has a older version of Frugalpup installer.
So I would download, install, and do it running a newer version you can get here:
viewtopic.php?t=337

If all you want is a live install of a single Puppy Linux version on the USB stick.
Frugalpup Installer program provides several different Stickpup programs for doing Live installs to a USB stick.
Info about them and what they do is here:
http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/fru ... index.html

Forum Global Moderator

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

bigpup wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:32 pm

If you can boot Fossapup64 9.5 and run programs from it.

I suggest you install BookwormPup64 10.0.6 to a USB stick.
It has the latest changes and updates.
One of them being fixes for support of nvme drives.

If @bigpup says BookwormPup64 can handle the nvme drive, then that's a known quantity and probably a good idea to try it.

If BookwormPup64 doesn't do it for you, we can look at Airedale12. Which basically you have to copy the iso files to a folder in your install location, install a bootloader on that drive (Airedale I think has grub4dos and grub2,) run a little script included in the iso which gives you a ready-to-go boot stanza, and copy it into the grubconfig or menulst.

But like I say, although Airedale being an updated Void probably has all the nvme modules ( and I can't say for sure. @rockedge builds the kernels and modules for that and he would know) since we know BookwormPup64 does have them, it makes sense to me to go that direction.

geo_c

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

In any event, I do not expect to be able to avoid having to re-configure all of my settings when I re-boot, no matter what I boot into

Are you saying you have never rebooted a USB install with successful persistency?

Geo_c's advice to test continuesly while you rebuild is prudent.
Once you reformat I would also consider restoring any data from your backup only as needed as it's possible to copy back your problems if you are not careful when you restore data.

consider also the possibility you may find later that doing a total wipe and rebuild of the entire drive (rather than just reformating an existing partition) was needed.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

In any event, I do not expect to be able to avoid having to re-configure all of my settings when I re-boot, no matter what I boot into

Perhaps you are doing things the wrong way ? (i.e. nothing to do with nvme or whatever ?)
Starting all over may sometimes help, e.g. re-install Puppy, with a fresh save storage.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Airedale being an updated Void probably has all the nvme modules

Yes the Void Linux kernels are configured with nvme support. Just released a new Void Linux KLV kernel 6.9.1_1

Governor

Post by Governor »

rockedge wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:17 pm

Airedale being an updated Void probably has all the nvme modules

Yes the Void Linux kernels are configured with nvme support. Just released a new Void Linux KLV kernel 6.9.1_1

And that is one of the reasons I want to try Airedale! If I mount the .iso file while running fosaspup. Can I then, copy the files to a thumb drive, and run Grub2Config on it, will the thumb drive then boot with Airedale?
Thanks.

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:48 pm

Are you saying you have never rebooted a USB install with successful persistency?

Basically, yes.

Geo_c's advice to test continuesly while you rebuild is prudent.
Once you reformat I would also consider restoring any data from your backup only as needed as it's possible to copy back your problems if you are not careful when you restore data.

consider also the possibility you may find later that doing a total wipe and rebuild of the entire drive (rather than just reformating an existing partition) was needed.

I have already done this three times before. I am now counting on trying Airedale, if I can figure out how to transfer the .iso contents onto a thumbdrive and get it to boot.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

fredx181 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:02 pm

Perhaps you are doing things the wrong way ? (i.e. nothing to do with nvme or whatever ?)
Starting all over may sometimes help, e.g. re-install Puppy, with a fresh save storage.

^^^ +1.

@fredx181 :-

Yah. This is what I'm thinking, too. However, I've been thinking for a while that, although we can advise Governor as to what ought to be done - and to most of us, it seems a simple matter - we still really don't know quite what he has done!

gParted screenies, readouts of logs, terminal commands, etc.......all of these are fine with someone that understands what they're doing. I'm not being "funny", or "nasty" when I say this, but I honestly don't think Governor knows what he's doing. To me, he's a bit like someone stumbling along through a dark, narrow back alley at midnight, hoping to hell he can make it to the far end without tripping over.....

If one of us was able to physically sit down in front of Governor's machine, we might indeed find an unrecognisable nightmare.....but we would in all likelihood be able to identify the problem areas and put it right in fairly short order. But I don't think that Governor ever will, left to his own devices!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I remain convinced that every single issue he's reported boils down to "bad" installation & the wrong type of formats being used in the wrong way in the wrong places. We've had this kinda thing reported on the Forum many times over the years, and invariably it comes down to not following instructions & doing stuff the way it SHOULD be done.....

There's no other viable explanation for why he's been having such a huge number of "issues". :?

(*shrug...*)

Mike. :|

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Governor

Post by Governor »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:47 am
fredx181 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:02 pm

^^^ +1.

@fredx181 :-

Yah. This is what I'm thinking, too. However, I've been thinking for a while that, although we can advise Governor as to what ought to be done - and to most of us, it seems a simple matter - we still really don't know quite what he has done!

gParted screenies, readouts of logs, terminal commands, etc.......all of these are fine with someone that understands what they're doing. I'm not being "funny", or "nasty" when I say this, but I honestly don't think Governor knows what he's doing. To me, he's a bit like someone stumbling along through a dark, narrow back alley at midnight, hoping to hell he can make it to the far end without tripping over.....

If one of us was able to physically sit down in front of Governor's machine, we might indeed find an unrecognisable nightmare.....but we would in all likelihood be able to identify the problem areas and put it right in fairly short order. But I don't think that Governor ever will, left to his own devices!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I remain convinced that every single issue he's reported boils down to "bad" installation & the wrong type of formats being used in the wrong way in the wrong places. We've had this kinda thing reported on the Forum many times over the years, and invariably it comes down to not following instructions & doing stuff the way it SHOULD be done.....

There's no other viable explanation for why he's been having such a huge number of "issues". :?

(*shrug...*)

Mike. :|

"...stumbling along through a dark, narrow back alley at midnight, hoping to hell he can make it to the far end without tripping over."
That is exactly how I feel.
Bear in mind that instructions from Linux enthusiasts about what to do, may not be fully understood or correctly interpreted by a novice.

And there are issues with fossapup itself, and with Rox, which have nothing to do with me, and I have pointed these out. Please don't ask me to reiterate these now because I have not cataloged them. One persistent issue is that the savfolder/savfile function has almost never (worked a few times in the beginning) enabled me to reboot with my saved configuration, even though I followed the instructions (I can hear several people chiming in now, saying:" It must be your fault.") Another issue (which has been corroborated), is that fossapup often switches drive letter assignments on USB drives. I forgot who, but someone posted a fix for this, and I may have used it wrong (who knows), but I was unable to get it to work. I lost track of it now, though. Another issue is my keyboard language setting keeps getting lost even though it shows correctly in the current settings. This happens whenever I plug anything in or out of my USB hub, even though the keyboard is plugged in continuously.

Way back in the beginning of my tenure in this forum, after a struggle, I was able to boot from my hdd with my saved settings a couple of times, but then it stopped working. After a new struggle, I was able to boot from my hdd using the limine boot loader. That lasted a few months, but then stopped working. At that point I could no longer boot from my hdd, and I began booting from my fossapup CD, and again I was booting without any saved settings. I have only a USB CD and it was way too slow, so I decided to use RAM-only mode to increase usability and free up a USB port. I have periodically done the drive check from GParted and it always shows no error.

A little while ago, I installed MX (sorry, I mention it), but when I discovered none of my portable apps worked, I gave up on it, but left it on my 2nd partition of 20GB, just is case. More recently, I tried running Grub2Config on my internal hdd, and it showed that it had worked.

I now have a boot menu (which bootmenu is unclear) and I am able to boot fossapup from the hdd, but (again), without any saved settings. The worst part about this was my partition #3 which I use for downloads was apparently locked away in that fossapup temporary file system. However, on the bright side, I can now boot from my internal hdd and choose RAM-only mode which does not appear to lock any drive because the OS is in memory.
This is why I wanted a pupswap.swp file, in case memory gets too full.

Unfortunately, I have been informed that no one is working on any fixes for fossapup or Rox, and that means there is little point in reporting unresolved issues. I guess the programmers have moved on to bigger and better things, meanwhile, I am stuck here struggling.

I also want to move on...
I have eliminated my FAT32 partition and created two ext3 partitions in its place. I am hoping to install Airedale to a thumb drive first, and if successful, try to install it to my hdd. So far I have only found instructions on how to make a bootable USB from an iso using Windows, but I am still looking for how to do this in fossapup. I was wondering if it is possible to load the iso in puppy, copy the files to a thumb drive and run Grub2Config on it, and be able to boot from it. Then, the question of saving my settings for the next boot would be imminent.

Do Mike Walsh's portable apps work in EasyOS? Perhaps it could be worth a try. IDK.
Thanks!

Last edited by Governor on Tue May 28, 2024 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Do what I posted in my previous post.
viewtopic.php?p=120864#p120864

If you do exactly what it says to do, it should work to make a good boot-able USB stick.

That is if you stick to using a Fully normal setup Puppy version.
Example:
Fossapup64 9.5
Bionicpup64 8.0
BookwormPup64 10.0.6
F96-CE_4
etc..........

And when you make a save file or folder.
You make sure to place it in the same place as the Puppy version is located on the drive.
For frugal installs. In the frugal install directory.

Forum Global Moderator

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Governor

The way to make a boot-able USB with KLV-Airedale using Fossapup64:

1. Start Fossapup64

2. mount the USB drive then with GParted create the partition table and format the drive to ext4 and set the boot flag

3. on the USB drive create a directory for the distro

4. using the running Fossapup64 open rox and click on the KLV ISO that you are installing.

5. copy the contents of the ISO into the USB directory.

6. now run Grub4Dos on the USB drive only. Let it install the boot loader onto the usb drive.

7. using Rox navigate to the KLV directory on the usb drive and run the script wd_grubconfig

8. open the menu.lst on the usb drive in geany

9. copy and paste the wd_grubconfig results (for grub4dos) into the menu.lst.

REBOOT into the USB drive and the Grub4Dos menu should appear

Governor

Post by Governor »

rockedge wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:56 pm

@Governor

1. Start Fossapup64

2. mount the USB drive then with GParted create the partition table and format the drive to ext4 and set the boot flag

4. using the running Fossapup64 open rox and click on the KLV ISO that you are installing.

6. now run Grub4Dos on the USB drive only. Let it install the boot loader onto the usb drive.

7. using Rox navigate to the KLV directory on the usb drive and run the script wd_grubconfig

This is looking good. I have 3 questions about it:
1) Is it correct that using ext4 in this case is arbitrary and it can also be ext3?
2) Can I save my current configuration in fossapup64_9.5 and use it when I boot the USB?
3) Could you say a little about the differences between the method you describe here and the method described here by @bigpup
viewtopic.php?t=11171
Thanks!

Last edited by Governor on Sun May 26, 2024 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

is this usb still working?
viewtopic.php?p=77684#p77684
if not, get a USB install functioning correctly.

where did you get the nvme drive. was it factory installed in a new machine?

have you ever totally wiped the drive before trying something new?

there is a nvme cli program to check failing nvme drives

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:21 pm

is this usb still working?
viewtopic.php?p=77684#p77684
if not, get a USB install functioning correctly.

where did you get the nvme drive. was it factory installed in a new machine?

have you ever totally wiped the drive before trying something new?

there is a nvme cli program to check failing nvme drives

I'm not sure which USB you mean. AFAIK, my EasyOS USB still works.

The nvme disk came with my Lenovo laptop. I have totally wiped the nvme drive 3 times. I sometimes check it for errors with the program in GParted; no error has been found at any time.

I installed the pet version of nvme-cli by using the package manager, but I don't know how to get it to work. I tried "which nvme-cli" in terminal and got nothing. Thanks.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Is it correct that using ext4 in this case is arbitrary and it can also be ext3?

Yes.

Can I save my current configuration in fossapup64_9.5 and use it when I boot the USB?

If you use Fossapup64 instead of KLV-Airedale in the steps above you can. KLV is different than Puppy Linux. Can't share save folders.

You can install a Puppy Linux on the USB drive in it's own directory. Then add a boot stanza for Fossapup64 in the menu.lst to boot it.

Now on the USB drive there will be both a KLV and a Puppy Linux. Your existing Fossapup64 save can be used in the USB Fossapup64.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Governor wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:48 pm

I have totally wiped the nvme drive 3 times.

I installed the pet version of nvme-cli by using the package manager, but I don't know how to get it to work. I tried "which nvme-cli" in terminal and got nothing. Thanks.

please describe in more detail how you "totally wiped"

type nvme at the prompt and paste the output please

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

SHALL WE PAUSE A MOMENT........

Ah, now that I've taken a deep breath.

Let me share a few thoughts.

1) @Governor must answer a few questions before he does anything productive.

-What is his goal?

• 1 Save fossapup settings?

• 2 Install a KLV on USB? (as @rockedge is advising about.)

• 3 Install a pup? (as @bigpup is advising about.)

• 4 Troubleshoot his nvme first (as @williwaw is advising about)

-What is the big picture end game for @Governor?

• 1 Have a working fossapup64_9.5?

• 2 Have a working KLV USB install?

• 3 Have a working pup USB install?

• 4 Have a working nvme drive?

-What is the proper and prudent sequence of actions to achieve one or all of these big pictures?

2) My original suggestion of KLV or Bookworm on USB was for the purpose of troubleshooting the nvme.
It was not an attempt at:

• 1 Saving the settings from his running-in-ram fossapup

• 2 Making a pupsave using a pup like Bookworm or F96

3) @Governor is at a crossroads, and so his choices now determine future succes or future operational issues

4) My suggestion of Airedale carries with it this one advantage for @Governor that a pup doesn't:

• 1 Airedale doesn't ask where to make a savefile, so @Governor won't have to manage that part.

5) Once that USB Airedale is dependably booting without w_changes=RAM2 in the boot stanza, he can at least dependably boot into an OS that saves his changes without any user input.

6) At that point @Governor can then closely examine his nvme to get it working. And the next step of reformatting it can take place. Which OS he eventually decides to install there does not yet come into play.

7) @Governor's best course of action would be to work with one and one only OS on USB that is capable of formatting and working with his nvme drive.

8) The only actions and decisions necessary at this time are:

• 1 Make a working USB of one nvme capable OS

• 2 Decide which tools to use for checking that nvme disk

Last edited by geo_c on Sun May 26, 2024 8:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.

geo_c

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

geo_c wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:01 pm

[*] 4 Troubleshoot his nvme first (as @williwaw is advising about)[/list]

not neccesarily first, but at least before reuse of the nvme is attempted.

8) The only decision and actions necessary at his point are:

• 1 Make a working USB of one nvme capable OS

• 2 Decide which tools to use for checking that nvme disk

+1

nvme tool reading guide
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/linux-nv ... frank-ober

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:38 pm
Governor wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:48 pm

I have totally wiped the nvme drive 3 times.

please describe in more detail how you "totally wiped"

type nvme at the prompt and paste the output please

I deleted all partitions and created and formatted new ones.

I am unable to copy or paste anything in terminal (neither with the mouse nor keyboard), so I had to take a screenshot:

nvme-cli report.png
nvme-cli report.png (260.25 KiB) Viewed 802 times

Governor

Post by Governor »

rockedge wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:56 pm

@Governor

1. Start Fossapup64

Ok, I arrived at step #9, and I am unsure about this step. It looks like there are several options in menu.lst that are not in grub_config.txt.

For example:

Code: Select all

set distname=KLV-Airedale
set revision=sr12
set savepart=Persistence
set savedir=Sessions
set bootlabel=QEMU

#
# menu.lst
#
#color NORMAL            HIGHLIGHT       HELPTEXT       HEADING
#       f/b               f/b              f/b           f/b
color light-gray/black yellow/red cyan/black light-blue/black

timeout 10
default 0

# 0.4.6a
graphicsmode -1 800 600
splashimage /boot/splash.jpg

title Reboot computer
  reboot

title Halt computer

Should I keep the variables and other settings/options?
Thanks!

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:15 am

Ok, I arrived at step #9, and I am unsure about this step. It looks like there are several options in menu.lst that are not in grub_config.txt.

For example:

set revision=sr12
set savepart=Persistence
set savedir=Sessions
set bootlabel=QEMU

#
# menu.lst
#
#color NORMAL            HIGHLIGHT       HELPTEXT       HEADING
#       f/b               f/b              f/b           f/b
color light-gray/black yellow/red cyan/black light-blue/black

timeout 10
default 0

# 0.4.6a
graphicsmode -1 800 600
splashimage /boot/splash.jpg

title Reboot computer
  reboot

title Halt computer

Should I keep the variables and other settings/options?
Thanks!

The grub_config.txt is only giving you boot stanzas to ADD to the existing menu.lst, and NOT to replace the entire menu.lst file.

So the important thing to copy from grub_config.txt is the KLV-airedale boot stanzas, and you want to decide whether to use UUID option for the stanzas or LABEL. UUID is recommended as it finds the exact drive and doesn't confuse grub if the drive letters are inconsistent on boot.

So my generated stanzas look like this:

#####menu.lst (note the LABEL or UUID options below):
title KLV-airedale-multi-RT
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies /KLV-airedale-multi-RT/grub_config.txt
  kernel /KLV-airedale-multi-RT/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=LABEL==/KLV-airedale-multi-RT w_changes=RAM2
  initrd /KLV-airedale-multi-RT/initrd.gz
#############################OR uuid method:
  find --set-root uuid () [GEO'S DRIVE UUID]
  kernel /KLV-airedale-multi-RT/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=[GEO'S DRIVE UUID]=/KLV-airedale-multi-RT w_changes=RAM2

So copy and paste the second option into your menu.lst in it's own stanza space, and without erasing anything else in menu.lst

Now as addtional element aid to keeping whatever changes you make once booted, erase the w_changes=RAM2 parameter from the stanza, and your changes will be saved as made without having to run any routines.

BUT, I'm not sure about those top options, as I use an existing menu.1st and have never seen those options generated from Fossapup. @rockedge should be able to speak to those options, in particular the QEMU.

I would WAIT to see if we get more info before trying to boot this.

Last edited by geo_c on Mon May 27, 2024 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Try these:

find --set-root uuid () [partition UUID]
 kernel /KLV-airedale-multi-RT/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=[partition UUID]=/KLV-airedale-multi-RT 

#############################

title KLV-airedale-multi-RT (RAM2)
  kernel /KLV-airedale-multi-RT/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=[GEO'S DRIVE UUID]=/KLV-airedale-multi-RT w_changes=RAM2

To get the UUID use in a terminal the command: blkid

[partition UUID] = what ever your partition UUID is
[GEO'S DRIVE UUID] = what ever your partition UUID is
geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:32 pm

Try these:

find --set-root uuid () [partition UUID]
 kernel /KLV-airedale-multi-RT/vmlinuz w_bootfrom=UUID=[partition UUID]=/KLV-airedale-multi-RT 

#############################

title KLV-airedale-multi-RT (RAM2)

To get the UUID use in a terminal the command: blkid

[partition UUID] = what ever your partition UUID is
[GEO'S DRIVE UUID] = what ever your partition UUID is

No don't try those, those are my stanzas. They point to my install.

@Governor has the stanzas from his grub_config.txt file from running your step 7.

The question that I'm not sure about is the options at the top that are in his menu.lst, should he keep them?:

set revision=sr12
set savepart=Persistence
set savedir=Sessions
set bootlabel=QEMU

The other options appear to be the graphic display of menu first and should be fine to keep.

So to be clear, the stanzas I posted were simply an example to show @Governor what to look for in his grub_config.txt to copy and paste.

geo_c

Return to “Beginners Help”