Escaping the search bubble (opinions and discussion)

FloraMae

Escaping the search bubble (opinions and discussion)

Post by FloraMae »

So, I got to thinking about just how controlled news and social media has become and how hard it is to actually find out what's really going on in the world. This post is not about conservative or liberal or anything political, it is about access to information.

So, with it becoming harder to find out real information, where do you go to find information?

An example of a bubble is search engines. If you go to Google, for example, and do some kind of search, you will find after a few pages, the results get repeated over and over. So instead of getting access to a lot of information, you only get a little bit of information.

Similar happens on social media. You can scroll and scroll or go to page after page and the result begin to repeat.

Similar even happens on places like YouTube.

My only suggestion is to use something like SearX ( https://searx.space/ ) or some kind of meta search engine and maybe keep an eye out for word of mouth, but word of mouth tends to get so distorted and wrong the further it goes.

So, I decided to make a post to ask others what they do to see if maybe there is more I'm not aware of and the benefits and drawbacks associated.

Tippe

Re: Escaping the search bubble (opinions and discussion)

Post by Tippe »

I create my own information as I don't believe anyone anymore! ;)

Bionic Puppy 64bit.
Won't use another one.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Tippe wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:35 pm

I create my own information as I don't believe anyone anymore! ;)

lol, I do something like that......

Does the reporting consist of facts or include judgements and read more like a narrative?
If a narrative, ask your self what facts seems to be missing, and make a detailed query to see if someone covered the story with more who, what, when, where, (and less whys and without making characterizations)

Last edited by williwaw on Sun May 26, 2024 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
darksun

Post by darksun »

• social media is evil, avoid using them to get information

• find some reputable news providers that tends to give as much plain facts as possible, those that also avoid expressing opinions/sensationalism

• for examples you can follow a/some reputable and famous news provider of your country plus a/some international one (eg https://www.aljazeera.com/news/ ) .

Once you have got a list of reputable source of information, international and/or national, you follow them, maybe using the website's RSS service.

RSS , if you are not using them already, can be a game changer, for several reasons.

If you do not know how they work you can easily learn it by searching on your favorite web search engine (or using youtube for graphical support :))

You will need an RSS client, my favorite is this one , you can always use a graphical one, just search for it. Lots of people prefer to use an online RSS feed reader .

superhik

Post by superhik »

I can't really find any that are not biased or propaganda. The only way to recognize what is truth or partial truth designed to fit a narrative or a plethora of lies designed to lighten up your emotional side, is to start thinking like those that create news. One must must get familiar with their techniques and tricks. Once you pick up those you will start to see familiar patterns.
Understanding the ideology of the interests is crucial for decoding reality. In who's self interest is to think in one way or another. Who wants you to be afraid. Public mind is created by the people you never heard of. Yuri Bezmenov told us how USSR used psychological warfare, recruited and trained journalists. But Americans also had their own, Operation Mockingbird. It was proven but it still says "alleged" on Wikipedia. What do you think is there another operation running under a different name? Did it ever stop?
There is a good documentary that explains how propaganda works: "The Century of the Self". A long time ago Edward Bernays convinced American women to smoke by alluding to their emotional side. But there is much more.

Stealing from the poor to give to the rich!

Return to “Off-Topic Area”