QRCodeGenerator and reader - 64-bit-only, in 'portable' format...

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

QRCodeGenerator and reader - 64-bit-only, in 'portable' format...

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, gang.

An acquaintance over at Linux.org put me onto this.......and given just how ubiquitous these things are now becoming (like, they're EVERYWHERE!), I figured this might just come in useful for some of you.

It's packaged as an AppImage, and yes; it's Electron-based. Which inevitably means it's "heavy" (73 MB), of course. But it seems to function flawlessly, even as far back as Tahrpup64. So, I've added my usual bits'n'bobs to the mix, and turned it into a ROX-app; the usual Menu entry scripts are there (rt-click -> Look inside).

It's one of those that pops-up a window initially, asking if you want to integrate it into your system. Doesn't actually do anything, because Puppy is built different to what it expects. Just click 'Yes', and it fires-up.

It'll generate a QR code for anything text-based, from a web URL to a block of text. You enter the text on the left-hand side; as you enter it, the code square "morphs" as it modifies itself. When you're finished, save it as a PNG file. It works, too!

It's quick, simple-to-use, and effective. It does "exactly what it says on the tin", to paraphrase a long-running UK TV advert.

Easy-peasy!

-----------------------------------

If anyone's interested, y'all can find it here:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/59mpwx ... eGenerator

Same as always:-

• Download

• Unzip

• Move the 'portable' directory anywhere you like.....outside the 'save' is best

• Click on it to fire it up!

• When it's where you want it, then you can add the MenuEntry (if required)

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Flash

Re: QRCodeGenerator - 64-bit-only, in 'portable' format...

Post by Flash »

Works great in EasyOS 5.5.4

Chaos coordinator :?
mikewalsh

Re: QRCodeGenerator - 64-bit-only, in 'portable' format...

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, kids.

As a 'companion' app to QRCodeGenerator-portable, here is QRCodeReader.....which lets you run the process back t'other way. I mentioned it here in the recent thread about QrCode stuff:-

https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=9705

I spent most of today figuring out the best way to do this.....and, for the first time in a long while, have revisited the SFS format. Why? Simple; 'cos from past experience, anything to do with ImageMagick does NOT respond at all well to the 'portable' treatment. So I decided to forgo that 'pleasure'!

It's quite simple to use. When you fire it up, you get a file-selector dialog to choose your QR code in PNG image format. Once you've chosen the QR code you want to 'read', a utility called zbarimg works its magic.....then, moments later, pops-up a gxmessage window with the data contents of the QR code block. Easy-peasy!

It was built in Tahrpup64; for me, it also runs fine in jrb's 'lite' spin on Barry's old Quirky April 64 (same generation), along with Xenialpup64 and Bionicpup64. But then again, my Pups are ALL highly modified, so YMMV. If anyone's interested & wants to take a look, y'all can find the 3MB SFS here:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5zt418 ... CodeReader

Hope it proves useful for some of you. Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Re: QRCodeGenerator and reader - 64-bit-only, in 'portable' format...

Post by mikewalsh »

.......and there's now a web-app build of QR Code Generator, too. Y'all can find it here:-

https://studiolacosanostra.github.io/ap ... generator/

Mike. ;)

Return to “Utilities”