A feeling of sincere joy when you find out that your computer supports more memory than you thought

Grey

A feeling of sincere joy when you find out that your computer supports more memory than you thought

Post by Grey »

The day before yesterday, I unexpectedly discovered that my old (but in excellent condition) HP monoblock (OK - all-in-one PC) supports 4 gigabytes of RAM. HP Compaq Presario 100eu AIO. I was sure it was 2, because it was said on the official website and on a bunch of other sites at the time of purchase (quite a long time ago) :shock:

The PupSysInfo program gave me the info. So thanks to @radky.

Yesterday I (again unexpectedly :!: ) discovered that there are just 2 slats of 2 GB each of DDR2 SODIMM memory (Patriot company) still lying in stock at the local store. The last "survivors" in the store :) That's a coincidence, I thought, and decided to add memory.
I'm still thinking about whether to replace the built-in DVD drive with a second hard drive or let the DVD live🤔

Therefore, if no one kills me and there is time, then I will definitely assemble a new Puppy. I haven't decided yet based on Arch or Ubuntu.

These things will live for a while :) :

HP_Compaq_100eu.jpg
HP_Compaq_100eu.jpg (22.94 KiB) Viewed 521 times

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

6502coder

Re: A feeling of sincere joy when you find out that your computer supports more memory than you thought

Post by 6502coder »

A zillion years ago, I gave a friend an old Win95 laptop I wasn't using anymore. He didn't own a computer of his own, and was using the communal PCs at his apartment complex, but was understandably worried about using those to maintain his personal Excel spreadsheets. I installed a copy of MS Works I had lying around and he was all set to go. Some years later, he finally bought a PC for himself and said he'd return the laptop to me. As I had no use for Win95, I decided I'd try to install Linux on it.

I say "try" because to the best of my recollection, the laptop only had 32 MB of RAM. I'd been running Puppy for some time, but 32 MB seemed like a stopper. I started looking around for a CLI-only Linux.

Imagine my delight then, when I got the laptop back and discovered that it had a whole 96 MB of RAM! I promptly installed Puppy 4.1.2 Retro on it and it was only LAST YEAR that I finally decommissioned that machine, and that was only because the cover hinges were breaking and bits of the plastic case kept falling off every time I moved the machine.

mikewalsh

Re: A feeling of sincere joy when you find out that your computer supports more memory than you thought

Post by mikewalsh »

'Twas very much the same for me with ye anciente Dell Inspiron.....which finally popped its clogs year before last, and led to my getting the slightly newer Latitude D630.

The Inspiron 1100 was supposed to support 1 GB. No more. At some point, I forget why, I got reading the Intel spec sheets for the 82845 chip-set......and found out, buried away in the Appendix at the end, that under certain circumstances it would support 2 GB! I did some quick investigation, and...yup; the 1100 checked all the boxes. Neat!

So I invested in a pair of 1 GB DDR1 SoDIMMs. When they turned up, I plugged 'em in, re-booted, and.....joy of joys; a full 2GB RAM was recognised. Yay!

(Turned out one of the two 1GB SoDIMMs was "dodgy". My own fault for buying ultra-cheap'n'cheerful off eBay, I suppose. I replaced it with one of the older 512 MB sticks that had been removed to make way for the extra capacity. Ever afterward, it ran with 1.5 GB.....but even that additional half-gig made a big difference to a lightweight Puppy install. Along with a 3 GB swap partition, it was quite usable really.....just 'slow' due to that old P4.)

Mike. ;)

Fossil

Post by Fossil »

Hi Mike!

'Twas very much the same for me with ye anciente Dell Inspiron.....which finally popped its clogs.....

Ha! Ha! My old Dell (From Hell!) the self-same model, still lives! The old knee-warmer still boots but is now a shelf item (heavy shelves!), although someone spilt 'Cola' over the lower right side keyboard etching through the substrate rendering the K, L, ; , inoperable. If 'Cola' can do that to a keyboard, what hope for my bladder? :lol:

Return to “Off-Topic Area”