Failed to load savefile on boot. Significance?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Governor

Failed to load savefile on boot. Significance?

Post by Governor »

boot.

Failed to load savefile.JPG
Failed to load savefile.JPG (127.58 KiB) Viewed 472 times

What is the significance?

It looks like fossapup is just deciding on its own to load random savefiles, and the one it chose happens to be on a FAT32 drive. In the boot menu I chose to boot from /mnt/nvme0n1p4, but fossapup is loading a file from /mnt/nvme0n1p3.

Boot menu.JPG
Boot menu.JPG (84.28 KiB) Viewed 461 times

I want to be able to save my settings and configuration which I can use on the next boot. And I want to choose which savefile to use on each boot.

Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out alive.

williwaw

Re: Failed to load savefile on boot. Significance?

Post by williwaw »

Gov

looks like you have a boot loader working (BTW, what is the bottom pic of? I do not recognize the app from the screenshot)

I suggest that you install a puppy/dog/easy or whatever to a folder in an ext3 or 4 partition and see if you can get your boot setup to recognize it as a choice at boot time.

I strongly reccomend you choose a puppy (or whatever )that you have never used before, and accept the defaults when creating the savefile, ie. keep the save in the same folder as the frugal, and no spaces in the single toplevel folder name.
The only purpose for this install is to create a single frugal install with persistence to work from as a proof of concept.
Once you have persistence working in the new frugal install, should you desire to move foreward
with fossa as your preferred choice, you will have to search out and remove any possible fossa saves that may be causing the failure to find (the fossa save).
did you google “Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt! Abort?”

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I chose to boot from /mnt/nvme0n1p4, but fossapup is loading a file from /mnt/nvme0n1p3.

First time you booted this install on nvme0n1p4.

Did you do a shutdown or reboot and make a save for it?

When asked, made that drive the location to put the save on?

If you are going to have Fossapup64 9.5 installed on multiple drive partitions.

You may need to give the save an added specific name for the install to use it with.
That way if the boot process sees a save on a different drive location.
Knows that is not the correct name or it finds multiple saves.
It will pop up asking you which save to use.

This addition to the name needs to be done when you make the save.
That is an option when making the save.

What I think is going on, is Fossapup64 9.5 no matter what drive partition you are booting from, is set to look for the name of the save file.
fossapup64save.4fs

The first drive location it searches and it finds that specific named file, it will use it.
0n1p3 is the first drive (partition) it will look in.

Or you put in the specific boot loader menu entry for each install.
Specific save location info, so it only looks there for the save.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:42 pm

Gov

looks like you have a boot loader working (BTW, what is the bottom pic of? I do not recognize the app from the screenshot)

I suggest that you install a puppy/dog/easy or whatever to a folder in an ext3 or 4 partition and see if you can get your boot setup to recognize it as a choice at boot time.

I strongly reccomend you choose a puppy (or whatever )that you have never used before, and accept the defaults when creating the savefile, ie. keep the save in the same folder as the frugal, and no spaces in the single toplevel folder name.
The only purpose for this install is to create a single frugal install with persistence to work from as a proof of concept.
Once you have persistence working in the new frugal install, should you desire to move foreward
with fossa as your preferred choice, you will have to search out and remove any possible fossa saves that may be causing the failure to find (the fossa save).
did you google “Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt! Abort?”

The screenshot is of the bootmenu after I used grub2config. I had the program listed in my menu, but unfortunately, lost track of the program the last time my computer crashed since my configuration disappeared, and so far, I was unable to locate the program again. Until now! I just now found the download link in my firefox download history:
"https://smokey01.com/radky/Apps/grub2config-2.0.2.pet"

That program enabled me to boot from the hdd, and it was the first time I could boot from the hdd in a very long time.

If I remove all fossasaves, will I then be able to reboot with my current configuration?

Governor

Post by Governor »

bigpup wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:12 am

I chose to boot from /mnt/nvme0n1p4, but fossapup is loading a file from /mnt/nvme0n1p3.

First time you booted this install on nvme0n1p4.

Did you do a shutdown or reboot and make a save for it?

When asked, made that drive the location to put the save on?

If you are going to have Fossapup64 9.5 installed on multiple drive partitions.

You may need to give the save an added specific name for the install to use it with.
That way if the boot process sees a save on a different drive location.
Knows that is not the correct name or it finds multiple saves.
It will pop up asking you which save to use.

This addition to the name needs to be done when you make the save.
That is an option when making the save.

What I think is going on, is Fossapup64 9.5 no matter what drive partition you are booting from, is set to look for the name of the save file.
fossapup64save.4fs

The first drive location it searches and it finds that specific named file, it will use it.
0n1p3 is the first drive (partition) it will look in.

Or you put in the specific boot loader menu entry for each install.
Specific save location info, so it only looks there for the save.

The question is: If I remove all fossasaves, will I then be able to reboot with my current configuration.
I will need to run the grub2config program again, but I guess I might have to create a dummy savefile with the desired name and location for the menu program to work, create the boot menu, then shut down and create the savefile in the same location overwritng the dummy file.

Does that sound right?

Last edited by Governor on Mon May 13, 2024 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trapster

Post by Trapster »

If I were me, I would rename the savefiles and not delete them.
You seem to have a mess on that computer.
I'm not sure why you have multiple frugals across multiple partitions.

Try renaming the savefiles according to the particular fossapup (partitions) they are in.
ie.
fossapup64save-3.4fs for the nvme0n1p3 partition
fossapup64save-4.4fs for the nvme0n1p4 partition
etc...

IMHO, your first priority should be to fix the save persistence issues.
Remember, programs only do what they are programmed (told) to do.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

The question is: If I remove all fossasaves, will I then be able to rebootwith my current configuration.

no, in order to reboot with your current config you will need for fossa to find that particular configuration. you could remove extraneous saves temporaliy to a USB which is not plugged in at boot or rename all extraneous saves to something discrete to enable identification. you will need to search through all folders at the top level of all partitions and all devices available at boot time, and all subfolders of of those toplevel folders and all subfolders of the subfolders (three level deep) to find all the extraneous saves

I do not recognize the bottom screenshot as grub2config, but perhaps I do not have the latest version here. Does it say anything else on the screen above or below the screenshot you provided?

You could maintain an entry in your boot loader config file to specifically locate your preferred fossa savefolder or savefile. Post a complete copy of all grub.cfg's you find. Search thru all folders and all subfolders of all EFI and BOOT directories on all partitions and devices in service at boottime.

when (or after) you partitioned the disk. did you shrink or expand any of the partitions?

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:51 pm

The question is: If I remove all fossasaves, will I then be able to rebootwith my current configuration.

no, in order to reboot with your current config you will need for fossa to find that particular configuration. you could remove found extraneous saves temporaliy to a USB which is not plugged in at boot or rename to identify. you will need to search through all folders at the top level of all partitions and all devices available at boot time, and all subfolders of of those toplevel folders and all subfolders of the subfolders (three level deep) to find all the extraneous saves to rename, move or remove

I do not recognize the bottom screenshot as grub2config, but perhaps I do not have the latest version here. Does it say anything else on the screen above or below the screenshot you provided?

I zoomed into the screen with my camera so the image is cropped, so IDK if there was other text on the sceen.

If it is not grub2config, the only other possibiliy I can think of is it might be a boot loader from when I installed mxlinux to partition#2; but I ran grub2config much more recently than the mx install, so you got me.

You could maintain an entry in your boot loader config file to specifically locate your preferred fossa savefolder or savefile. Post a complete copy of all grub.cfg's you find. Search thru all folders and all subfolders of all EFI and BOOT directories on all partitions and devices in service at boottime.

Sure, but I am pressed for time right now, so it may take a while. I actually don't know if I am using grub. Except for a very long time ago, I have not been able to reboot while maintaining "the current settings" and configuration. So, I will move all the savefiles to a USB drive and make sure it is unplugged. But then I will need to save my current configuration so I can reboot into it. Can that be done?

when (or after) you partitioned the disk. did you shrink or expand any of the partitions?

I have changed the partitions several times, and it is quite possible I did so after there were files on it, but I don't remember specifically.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Governor wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:54 pm

Can that be done?

possibly,
make a save,
be sure to record all information about the filename and the path to where the save is made
edit the proper bootloader config file to point fossa to that save

your mileage may vary if the drive is corrupted.
if so, you will want to copy all files you desire to keep to an external drive
wipe the drive with dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/nvme0n1 status=progress (this may take a long time)
prepare to use diskpup (if you want more than one linux partition) by planing your new partition arrangement before using gparted
http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/fru ... index.html

Return to “Beginners Help”