Thunderbird, Gmail, 'Important' (not) Mail etc

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

davids45

Thunderbird, Gmail, 'Important' (not) Mail etc

Post by davids45 »

G'day,

I'm (slowly) setting up a new old laptop with Thunderbird (latest portable and/or older sfs).
I'm copying my mails archive (inside the 'profile' folder on my data partition) over from my old desktop's data partition to one on the new old laptop.

I see lots of 'All Mail', 'Important' and 'Starred' emails that do not seem useful for me. But these useless category/copies take quite a bit of drive space as far as I can tell, and anyway, seem duplicates of what are in my Inbox.

I believe these three categories are from Gmail, not a part of Thunderbird, nor the work of the email senders. I'm stuck with Gmail, so changing that is not an option in ridding myself of these email copies

Can these emails be deleted in each folder in Thunderbird without them being re-loaded from Gmail? A filter to possibly stop this default re-load has been found by Googling but not yet checked by me.

Or can settings in Thunderbird or in Gmail be adjusted to stop these useless-for-me email downloads? 'Hide' the categories in Gmail settings may work, but are emails still downloaded?

Thanks for any advice.

David S.

davids45

Re: Thunderbird, Gmail, 'Important' (not) Mail etc

Post by davids45 »

G'day,

I think the two methods given in this source:

https://karenshanley.com/how-to-disable ... -in-gmail/

solved my problem. Over 1000 'Important' emails removed with none re-downloaded. At least on one Puppy computer.

'All mail' with over 2000 old emails next gnuisance to tackle.

David S.

Return to “Users”