How to Use BookwormPup to Run Amazon Kindle

Moderator: Forum moderators

JusGellin

How to Use BookwormPup to Run Amazon Kindle

Post by JusGellin »

How can I run Amazon Kindle on BookwormPup_10.0.6? I'm tired of specially installing Windows as a virtual machine just to run this. I really appreciate the small size of Puppy Linux compared to Windows.

I believe it would take the application Wine. How would I go about doing this that works for puppy linux?
Thanks

sonny

Re: How to Use BookwormPup to Run Amazon Kindle

Post by sonny »

@JusGellin

I'm not sure if calibre can help...

calibre.png
calibre.png (275.6 KiB) Viewed 698 times

Download (and update) from terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sudo sh /dev/stdin
mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

JusGellin, mouldy has an extensive thread on running Kindle under Wine, viewtopic.php?t=2397. Don't forget to thank him.

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

@sonny
Thanks for that suggestion. I tried running the code,sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sudo sh /dev/stdin, but it didn't work on BookwormPup.

@mikeslr
Thanks, I'm looking at what mouldy has done to see what I can use.

sonny

Post by sonny »

@JusGellin

Try this (tested working here):

1. Install libxcb-cursor0 in Synaptic
2. In Terminal, run

Code: Select all

wget -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sudo sh /dev/stdin install_dir=/opt

3. Run calibre in /opt/calibre/

Note: Later create a .desktop file with Exec=/opt/calibre/calibre

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

As I have tried to explain in the wine thread. You can not run the current 2.x versions of "Kindle for PC" in WINE. The last version that will run in WINE is version 1.38 to version 1.40. These still work partially but not all books will load. I have had books complain and want me to upgrade to newer Kindle for PC.

I have showed that you can run Waydroid on BookwormDog. And the latest greatest version of Kindle for Android app will run on it. The version BookwormDog I used had systemd. Fred in that Waydroid thread down in Debian Dog section shows how to modify it to run on BookwormDog without systemd. It may or may not work on BookwormPup. YOU have to just try it. Puppy doesnt use systemd but since Fred showed its not needed with simple workaround, may well work in Puppy.

I also suggested a "frugal install" of either Prime or Bliss using this technique. https://itsfoss.community/t/install-pri ... istro/7405 They are stand alone Android 11 for x86 using the framework from the Android x86 folk. The technique involves, just like frugal install of puppy, extracting the files and folders from the iso, creating a root level folder, then having a GRUB2 menuentry to boot them from this folder. Just like frugal Puppies, they can be run this way without their own partition. This is easiest way but does require you to leave Puppy and boot into Android. Waydroid on other hand lets you run android within linux, you just maximize and minimize it to go back and forth.

And I am sorry but Calibre cant open Kindle DRM protected books. there was a guy called himself Apprentice Alf that had way to de-DRM books via unofficial addon to Calibre. I think that is why people keep suggesting Calibre. But it no longer works on current DRM that Kindle uses.

In other words you can read Kindle books online on Amazon website, you can buy a Kindle reader, or you can use one of the windows, android, or mac apps. Hey you might get lucky and the books you want to read will download and open with kindle4PC v1.38/1.40. In that case WINE is the way to go. But if they wont then you will either have to run Windows or Android in one manner or other.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

I will also mention the latest kindle for pc WILL run in both Tiny10 (the older smallest 64bit version) and windowsxlite.com "micro 11". So you dont need mega bloat to run the app. I do hope somebody modifies WINE to be able to run current Kindle4PC but could take some time. WINE is always playing catch up with windows changes while trying to avoid infringing on Microsoft patents.

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

I've used Tiny 10 before until my computer crashed a while back. I forgot about that and will try it again and see how it works.
Thanks

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

I just wanted to post an update of what I did after looking at what would work best for my situation.

I wanted to mainly set up a laptop (mainly for travel) that could be set up to be able to browse and get email on the internet without using Windows. Plus I wanted to be able to use the laptop for reading my Kindle books as well (so I wouldn't have to also carry a Kindle tablet). I had hoped I could do it all using Puppy Linux but can't see a way to do this easily.

I love using virtual machines even on a laptop to separate my distros to do this. I use Qemu kvm, but use virt-manager which makes doing this very easy, not only for installing guests but managing them as well.
I tried to figure out how to use BookwormPup as a host, but could only get it to use Qemu. I could not get it to use this with virt-manager like I have enjoyed using before. So I had to use an alternative linux to host the virt-manager. I found that Alpine Linux was very efficient and small to be able to do this. It doesn't use many resources to take away from the virtual machine guests. But the thing I didn't like was the complexity of setting this up to host the virt-manager. It just took some work, but once done, works great.

Next for my internet browsing and email, I am using BookwormPup which is good at doing as a guest virtual machine. I really like how I can save and backup sessions when using it. Plus with virt-manager, I can make snapshots as well which I also use for major changes I may make. Plus now I can easily try other linux distros which Qemu is capable of doing

Then for my Kindle books, since Amazon won't make a Linux app for it and you have to use Windows to do it, I went the way that @mouldy suggested to use Tiny 10 which is a smaller version of Windows 10 as another virtual machine guest to use the Windows Kindle app. This was necessary because Wine was having problems keeping up with the newer versions of Kindle to be useful. I still wish I could keep from using Windows for anything.

Now I can access the guests BookwormPup and also the Windows at the same time on my laptop.

I thought that this might be useful perhaps for someone else to learn how I have done this. I know it's not the best. I just wished I would be able to do this all using Puppy Linux, but you just have to learn how to adapt things to make them work for you.
JusGellin

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

That older 1809 version 64 bit Tiny10 is around 1GB and will run latest Kindle4PC. And if run in a virtual machine, suppose way to go to get more functionality than WINE currently provides. The Kindle for Android app does work fine. Waydroid has a learning curve but works fine, used on BookwormDOG even does ok on low end computers (that support SSE4.2 instructions). Still say nobody is paying attention to that ITSFOSS article. That lets you do frugal install android 11 via folder and booted from GRUB2, no need to deal with that kinda quirky android installer and a separate partition. It can run in virtual machine of course but then you will need that quirky installer. Just depends how much you want to avoid windows. And most people are more familiar with windows than android, least using such on an x86 computer.

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

So how would that work? Would the dual boot from BookwormDOG be what boots up the frugal installed Android?

What is the quirky installer you mentioned? How can Android be installed frugally? Could you give me any tips to help me understand better how that can be done?
Thanks for your suggestions.

mouldy

Re: How to blisUse BookwormPup to Run Amazon Kindle

Post by mouldy »

I am seriously debating just posting a remastered iso of BookwormDog with Waydroid and even the kindle app built in. I just dont want to maintain it and deal with bugs and such. Honestly I even tried it burned to a dvd and that works, not super well but does work, well on second boot, you do need to let it establish a "changes" folder that it can read/write to unless you have a very powerful computer. Much better installing elsewhere. Honestly my recipe I posted in BookwormDog forum https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=10925 isnt that difficult to follow and if you dont want to use systemd option can use Fred's workaround. I havent tried it on BookwormPup and honestly have no reason to do so. I got what I wanted with BookwormDog.

I am surprised somebody hasnt tried Waydroid on BookwormPup using Fred's workaround. But far as being small and fast, not lot difference between Pup and Dog. They are different under the hood of course, just look similar and both based on Debian Bookworm.

I will post the iTSFOSS article for the umteenth time. https://itsfoss.community/t/install-pri ... istro/7405 Seriously dont think anybody pays any attention to links outside the forum. Though could just be they ignore my rattling on mentioning too many options. I suppose I can regurgitate the recipe on instructions part this forum, but why? Somebody already made a recipe that should work in any linux system or heck even without windows or linux long as GRUB is there. And its more a general thing, really doesnt involve Puppy or Dog, other than using one of them to move files/folders around. just a way to make a frugal installl of PrimeOS or BlissOS or Android x86, and boot from GRUB. Just create a directory in same place you have Puppies directory, then update GRUB with menuentry given in the article.

Oh in the article they use something called a Grub customizer. You dont need that and some say should avoid it. I did try it in MINT and it does work, but people said its great until it isnt, it makes changes in GRUB you may not like when something does eventually break. Puppy version Grub wouldnt work with it anyway. Just manually use the Grub menuentry they offer. Maybe modified a bit for your system of course.

If that is too much, Android x86 offers a RPM package script to do this exact same thing automagically Yes you can convert it to a DEB using alien. But honestly just as fast to do it manually as described in article. Only thing about Android x86 think the newest they offer is Android 9. Whereas PrimeOS and BlissOS is Android 11

Here is link to Android-x86 iso and RPM if you need it. https://www.fosshub.com/Android-x86.html If you get the RPM and want to use it with a debian system, you will need alien to convert it. The DEB created does work though not sure it would work with a Puppy created version Grub. Its expecting the Grub used by the big distributions.

Here is link to PrimeOS downloads, https://www.primeos.in/download/ oh looks like they have an EXE version to frugal install in windows.

Here is link to BlissOS downloads, https://sourceforge.net/projects/blisso ... /Official/

tosim

Post by tosim »

@JusGellin Have you tried using the AppImage for Calibre? It just might do the job.

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

@tosim
Yes, I think I was at the point of trying to figure how to get the Amazon Kindle books for it. I need to revisit this again as well.
Thanks, I'll let you know of my progress.

@mouldy
I looked at your link to do this as an Android device. I'm very inexperienced for all of this yet but still would like to try to and not sure if I'll be able to do this yet. But I still would like trying it as well. Where can I get the BookwormDOG?
Thanks

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

JusGellin wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:04 pm

@tosim
Yes, I think I was at the point of trying to figure how to get the Amazon Kindle books for it. I need to revisit this again as well.
Thanks, I'll let you know of my progress.

@mouldy
I looked at your link to do this as an Android device. I'm very inexperienced for all of this yet but still would like to try to and not sure if I'll be able to do this yet. But I still would like trying it as well. Where can I get the BookwormDOG?
Thanks

Actually Fred no longer offers iso's, he offers a script that downloads the pieces from the Debian repositories and creates the iso, you choose the options. Its actually easier than it sounds. He even has an appimage of the script. That thing is super easy. https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/Re ... rmdog.html Can run it in about any current linux. Look down in the Debian Dog forum for more info.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

The iso of BookwormDog I created with Waydroid and Kindle app included, mostly to see if I could, I havent uploaded it anywhere. Probably should just make a new clean version if i am going to do it. i have quite bit experience with it now. Still considering. But read my thread I linked to in Debian Dog forum https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=10925 and decide if this is something you want to do, if its clear enough and all that. Post in that thread and I or Fred probably can help clarify anything. He obviously knows BookwormDog backwards and forwards where I am just a duffer that did this for my own use. And hey you could try it it with BookwormPup if thats way you wanted to go. The trick would be applying Fred's workaround. I cant promise it will work in Pup, but likely would. When I created my version, I used Dog cause it offered option of systemd, which I thought waydroid needed. Though Fred showed it doesnt.

Honestly just start with booting PrimeOS or BlissOS independently, either with their installers or the frugal way in the article, and installing Kindle in them. Heck you can live boot them from iso without installing. Even burn iso to dvd and boot that or of course to thumbdrive or use Ventoy. I even tried using Kindle installed on live boot of Bliss I think, and it worked. Though of course it all disappeared when I turned off the computer. Thats how I started. Then found Fedora linux [workstation with Gnome] probably the easiest to install Waydroid mostly cause it has built in wayland compositor and Fedora has waydroid in its repositories, no adding repositories or anything, and worked my way from there. Baby steps. None of this is all that intuitive. Start slow and work your way there.

Like said before just using Tiny10 in virtual machine, especially since you have experience with virtual machines going to be easiest. I personally probably like that windowsXlite.com "micro 11" little better. Not much bigger iso and installed its actually smaller than Tiny10. Thats the easy way. But you will probably learn more trying something new. And if you dont want windows and WINE not up to the job right now, well Android is pretty much only option. Though I did run across some guy that installed MacOS in a virtual machine. There is a MAC version of Kindle. MAC is pretty bloated though.

Since you do have experience with virtual machine, you might want to boot BlissOS or PrimeOS in a virtual machine. There something new combined with your current expertise. And imagine quite bit info out there on doing this.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @mouldy

mouldy wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:55 pm

... Probably should just make a new clean version if i am going to do it. ...

Sound good. IFF you do, be sure to add Fred's Appimage "Builder" to the utilities within the ISO's desktop Menu.

It could/will be useful should users choose to, also, build their own when running the ISO distro.

Your posts, on this thread, are great!

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Ok, that ITSFOSS article I kept harping on, well their menuentry doesnt work in Puppy generated GRUB2. So I found one that does and wrote instructions here: https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=11557 This works cause I actually tried it, on a converted chromebook that Waydroid spun its wheels on. Its stupid simple and works. Boot to the PrimeOS and install kindle app. Oh by way when in android to get full screen Kindle you need to go into settings and display and set size to smallest. Or depending on your screen size the next to smallest. If you leave it default you will get kindle in a little phone size box. But like lot things you just have to experiment. It will go full screen though with right settings.

Return to “BookwormPup”