Azilink: opensoure internet through your phone

Moderator: Forum moderators

mouldy

Azilink: opensoure internet through your phone

Post by mouldy »

Ok, noticed the Arch Linux wiki page I said explained Azilink at the beginning of my easytether thread , now no longer does. Shame, they had a good recipe. Azilink originated to give tethering capability to early Android phones with no native tethering app. But works on phones where the phone company holds native tethering app hostage unless you pay more money to use it. Its open source, well the apk that goes on your phone. On computer side you need to install openvpn and adb (android tools). Then create two files, well three files since anymore you need to do as I did in Easytether script and renew /etc/resolv.conf from a text file as modern linux distributions tend to like to overwrite resolv.conf if it exists at all. Probably a proper way to forbid this but since it gets rewritten willy nilly anyway....

Alas Azilink apk hasnt updated since like 2012 so ... But it still works, using it now, and of course openvpn and adb are updated and backwards compatible, which is why it does still work, least thats my theory. Oh and I have older Android phone so not something I have to deal with, but newer versions of android have a block to installing older apps. There is a workaround, but basically when using adb to sideload the app there is a flag you have to add to ignore the block. Let you figure that one out since as I say I cant try it. My phone has no problem accepting older apps.

Now unlike EasyTether that basically does same thing with workaround to tethering block on phones, it is open source and free. Use it all you like without guilt or paying anybody. At least used to be able to download the source code if you so desired. Probably still out there somewhere. I really like having both EasyTether and Azilink so I have a choice. Sometimes one works better than the other. Also mention it does still work in windows, yep, win11. I know cause I got it working. Windows bat files are kinda goofy if you are used to linux scripts but doable. And supposedly macos but I dont have a mac so cant say from personal experience. But this is the Puppy Linux forum and so I am going to go through the steps to make it work on BookwormPup64. Should be same on any Pup or Dog though maybe different repository and package manager to install openvpn and adb.

Anyway. First install openvpn and adb.

apt install openvpn

apt install adb

Now create /etc/azilink.ovpn and add following contents:

dev tun
remote 127.0.0.1 41927 tcp-client
ifconfig 192.168.56.2 192.168.56.1
route 0.0.0.0 128.0.0.0
route 128.0.0.0 128.0.0.0
socket-flags TCP_NODELAY
keepalive 10 30
dhcp-option DNS 192.168.56.1

Also create /etc/phillip.txt with following contents

nameserver 1.1.1.1

You can of course substitute whatever nameserver you wish to use.

Now create /usr/sbin/azilink.sh with following content:

#! /bin/sh
killall openvpn
adb devices
adb forward tcp:41927 tcp:41927
#/etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop
openvpn /etc/azilink.ovpn
#/etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
rm /etc/resolv.conf
cp /etc/phillip.txt /etc/resolv.conf

Make this script executable.

Pretty much it on computer side. Now on phone side, phone has to be in debug develop mode and you sideload the azilink.apk using adb. "adb install /path/to/azilink.apk" Open azilik app on phone and tic the 'service active' box.

Now on computer open terminal and type azilink.sh You can of course just make a desktop shortcut to click. First time you run the connection script, you will get a popup on your phone asking permission. Now on that first run the popup and block of script by phone will confuse it, so kill the terminal and type "azilink.sh" again. This time it should connect. You have to leave the terminal open. Close the terminal, close azilink connection.

Oh trying to attach the azilink.apk. Its a dummy tar.gz, just rename it with apk suffix instead. If it doesnt work post and I will try to hunt down a link for it, but anything azilink anymore is getting hard to find. Its a good app and open source, shame its been forgotten. Though like say the original developer of it did it mostly for his own use on early Android phone that had no native android tethering app. Sure it would been much more widely used if he had packaged it. People get kinda put off by having to manually create files and not just click some package installer. Though as you see its nothing complicated.

Attachments
azilink.tar.gz
(47.36 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
mouldy

Re: Azilink: opensoure internet through your phone

Post by mouldy »

Ok, missed this one. Found site still making last version available and it was apparently updated in 2015. Source files too. https://github.com/aziwoqpd/azilink/rel ... ease-2.0.2 Still say they would got more interest if they had created packages with installer script. No doesnt need it, but as I say average person doesnt want to create own script, etc though these are pretty simple. Windows users especially reluctant to go outside of the easy installer world.

Anybody finding Azilink useful probably ought to make their own backup of the apk and the files necessary. Links are few and far between. I'd say at this point few have ever heard of it.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@mouldy It is possible to fork a branch to your own repo on GitHub while this link is available.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

rockedge wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:13 am

@mouldy It is possible to fork a branch to your own repo on GitHub while this link is available.

Probably not, I have no skills to check and update the apk. Probably best I can do is occasionally post about it and offer info how to use it. Its a tiny app in modern world, still works, just way under appreciated. Far as I know its the only open source phone tethering app out there. And no special software needed on computer side beyond well known openvpn and the adb tools.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@mouldy I went ahead and forked that version of Azilink to my repo collection on GitHub. Also forked the azilink-tether to have a copy of that as well to check it out.

It does appear this one https://github.com/aziwoqpd/azilink has the most recent release (2015) and the other forks I've come across never released so it was probably to retain a copy of it just in case.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Oh, suppose if you just want a desktop shortcut to click..

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=azilink
Comment=azilink phone tethering app
Categories=DesktopSettings
Exec=kitty -e azilink.sh
Icon=/usr/share/icons/devices/azilink.webp

The icon is just a generic "clothes moth" free image I got off web since Azilink app on phone uses something similar. Couldnt find an Azilink icon to download. Use whatever you want.

And screen shot of azilink.sh opened in kitty terminal. I like kitty terminal emulator, but use whatever terminal emulator you like. Most support the -e flag option. Again you can minimize terminal to tray, but dont close it, close it and the azilink connection is shut down.

Ok, I have font too large to show all with kitty and dont want to reset it so here is same with LXterminal, small font full screen. Including this so you know what you should expect to see in terminal when you run azilink.sh

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Ok, looking at it closer and noticed:

DEPRECATION: No tls-client or tls-server option in configuration detected. OpenVPN 2.7 will remove the functionality to run a VPN without TLS.

Looks like another big brother knows best one size fits all thing for all situations. Oh joy. Seriously in azilink application its a connection between a local computer and a cell phone via a usb cable. It really isnt a consideration except now looks like it will be forced to be a consideration. See what happens and how to modify it to work with newer versions openvpn. I have found from experience that both adb and openvpn can be installed statically. Its kinda pain thanks to dependencies but it does work so for while can statically install older version as necessary.

dogcat

Post by dogcat »

μακάριοι οἱ δεδιωγμένοι ἕνεκεν δικαιοσύνης, ὅτι αὐτῶν ἐστιν ἡ βασιλεία τῶν οὐρανῶν.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Here is one for version 2.05 from 7 years ago. https://github.com/eugenesan/azilink/releases This version is interesting in that its been converted to an Android Studio project. I played some with Android Studio. That is big learning curve, and didnt put lot time into it.

Not sure how useful the numbering is when its forked by many, and a little done then abandoned.

Wish I knew how this upcoming change to openvpn is going to affect it. This is only use I have had for openvpn and with a ovpn file provided by the azilink developers from long ago. So no real understanding exactly how openvpn works especially concerning the new TLS requirement.

Return to “Network/Server”