How delete old drivers audio/graphics in Pupxxxsave.4fs?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

rolandradio

How delete old drivers audio/graphics in Pupxxxsave.4fs?

Post by rolandradio »

Wenn I copy the Puppysave.4FS file (slacko,tahr,bionic, whatever) to another computer, the Audio levels display is wrong or display won't change resolution or display half 1024 in 1280 screen and cannot expand to full display, This is because the drivers in the library are wrong and strange things happens.

The question is, how do I delete old drivers ?

I want to copy Puppyxxxsave.4fs over 10 different computers, all with the same software, some computers have even no internet connection.
Puppy is frugal but not that frugal, of course hardware is different. ;)

jp734

Re: How delete old drivers audio/graphics in Pupxxxsave.4fs

Post by jp734 »

I personally don't know how to manually delete old drivers but what I can suggest is you can try mounting the 4FS file, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to use "vesa" as your video driver and save so all the computers you use, no matter if it has AMD or NVidia, it will ("cross-fingers") use the vesa driver and work. You can also set the resolution on your xorg.conf file. Then uninstall the driver(s) you don't need, depending on the hardware in each computer, using the package manager once it's running. Some drivers like nouveau are stubborn so you might have to blacklist them. Add a .conf file on your /etc/modprobe.d

Audio levels? You mean sound card? - I have nothing. I have never installed an audio driver. The default driver works and never messed with it. ;) (sorry). Maybe others can.

BionicPup64: i5-3570 - 4GB - NVidia Quadro K620
BookwormPup64: E5-2680 v4 - 64GB - NVidia Quadro K5000

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Now you have found the problem with trying to use the same save on a different computer.

The setup stored on the save is for the computer it was originally made on.
It is storing settings for that computer.
The save is not storing drivers, but is telling the OS what driver to use, and what settings to use for the hardware.

When you use the save on a different computer.
Are you not able to go into the different setup programs and make changes?
So settings are now for this computer.

What are you trying to provide by using the same save on all the different computers?
I assume it is programs you have added and want to keep installed?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

rolandradio

Post by rolandradio »

I cannot make changes only sometimes, with audio I mean, the volume bar is not responing, I click with the mouse volume higher but the lichtblue bar won't change, because linux has the wrong setting from the other computer.

How reset all settings ?

What are you trying to provide by using the same save on all the different computers? Otherwise I have to start from beginning for every PC.
I assume it is programs you have added and want to keep installed? [/i] YES !

I don't want to download, install, and set Backgrtound, set VLC hotkeys etc..... Wenn I just copy the Save file then everything is almost ready.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Exactly how you get to settings for hardware may be a little different depending on what specific Puppy version.

So there is no general overall way to do it.

Should be some programs In menu ->Setup.

About sound setup.

The Puppy versions you indicate.
In menu ->Setup there should be something like ALSA Sound Wizard.

It should provide some way to select what sound card is being used.
It may list several devices to select from.
Usually the correct one to use will have analog in it's name.

If you right click on the desktop tray speaker icon.
A menu should pop up with selections to get into the different volume adjustments.
One should provide something looking like this:

Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (12.01 KiB) Viewed 610 times

Forum Global Moderator

rolandradio

Post by rolandradio »

Here a desktop picture, strange display, possible while the settings are wrong in Xenialsystem.

Attachments
Xenial2.png
Xenial2.png (80.34 KiB) Viewed 571 times
bigpup

Re: How delete old drivers audio/graphics in Pupxxxsave.4fs?

Post by bigpup »

Probably have the wrong sound device selected to use.

If these other computers are newer than around year 2019.

Xenialpup may not have hardware support for them.
Any hardware newer than around 2019 was not around when Xenialpup was built.
So hard to support hardware that was not there when Xenialpup was built.
Also the 4 series kernel in it, is not going to have good hardware support, for any hardware that is newer than around 2019.

Forum Global Moderator

rolandradio

Post by rolandradio »

This is only when iI copy the xenialpupsave.4fs to the other computer, starting Xenial without the save, then everyting is normal, most computers are from 2005, 2011, 2016, 2019, all drivers working good by the first start.

This stange display also happened with puppy Tahr, Slacko and Upup, it has something to do with the Puppyxxxsave.4fs file.

Maybe Remasterpuppy is the only solution, then I can copy the new bigger puppy_xenialpup_7.5.sfs to the other computers.

Is there a sulution to remove old settings ?
Delete host-specific system configuration files in folder: /etc ?

jp734

Post by jp734 »

I don't think you can use a Xenial savefile for other computers running different flavor of puppy like Tahr, Slacko, Bookworm, Bionic, etc... Maybe IF ALL of your computers are running XenialPup, you "might" get lucky. And that's still a might.

rolandradio

Post by rolandradio »

jp734 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:59 pm

I don't think you can use a Xenial savefile for other computers running different flavor of puppy like Tahr, Slacko, Bookworm, Bionic, etc... Maybe IF ALL of your computers are running XenialPup, you "might" get lucky. And that's still a might.

I mean, this also happens by these other distro's, ofcourse the pupsave of them.
Example using tahrsave.4fs is never working unter Xenial even 32 and 64 must be divorced.
The folder for tahr = sda1/Tahr/initrd, puppy_tahr_6.0.5, vmlinuz, zdrv_tahr_6.0.5.tahrsave.4fs, firefox.sfs all these files I copy to the other computer sda1/tahr and so on. For slacko in sda1/Slacko6, slackosave.4fs in this case.

jp734

Post by jp734 »

Ah gotcha. I misunderstood.

Yeah, that's a tough one. I think it would be better off having a SFS copy of all the programs you use so you can start fresh on all computers and load all SFS files. That's what I did and all my personal files are SAMBA shared so it doesn't matter what pc I'm using, I can access the files.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Have you tried to use the programs that will allow you to select the sound device used?

change it from the one that is stored in the save to use.

If you use the save on a different computer from the one it was originally made on.
The different settings programs should let you change hardware setup.
Then the settings will be correct for the computer it is now being used on.

I guess you were lucky and the first computer just had everything set correctly when it first booted.

Do you understand how to use the different programs for changing hardware settings?

Forum Global Moderator

fernan

Post by fernan »

Hello.

I see nobody suggested to create a new "Puppy" using the "Remaster puppy live CD", under the "Setup" sub menu (at least in Bionicpup 64)

That will create a new Puppy linux with all the user installed packages, but it should perform as a fresh install in the other hardware.

I'd give it a try.

puppyCDremaster.png
puppyCDremaster.png (63.3 KiB) Viewed 308 times
rolandradio

Post by rolandradio »

fernan wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:22 am

Hello.

I see nobody suggested to create a new "Puppy" using the "Remaster puppy live CD", under the "Setup" sub menu (at least in Bionicpup 64)

That will create a new Puppy linux with all the user installed packages, but it should perform as a fresh install in the other hardware.

I'd give it a try.

puppyCDremaster.png

Yes, fully true !

I have use it only 2 times, and all programms are copied in the main puppy.sfs file.
In Xenial you don't need a CD/DVD with the original puppy ISO image, just select the ISO image on HDD, then I don't have to burn a DVD only for the
Remaster puppy live CD option.

But can this question be answered:

Is there a sulution to remove old settings ?
Delete host-specific system configuration files in folder: /etc ??
:?:

Have you tried to use the programs that will allow you to select the sound device used?

Yes, sound is working but not for 100% its different, but look at the picture, the slide bars are missing, on the taskbar the loudspeaker icon says volume zero, but audio is working with the mouse I set it to 100% volume but noting is happen, the volume bar is wrong, not the audio functions.

Example: I have 5 numbers to select, but only 2 are on screen, thats not good.

It's not only an audio problem, also mounting secundairy HDD takes 20 seconds, or start load and the option SFS-on the fly take 1 minute to start, but not on Xenial 32-bit.
Load and the option SFS-on the fly take 1 minute to start this is only on Fossa64 and Bionic-BB 32-bit.

Xenial is fast in compare with Slacko 6.3.2 Fossa64 9.5 and Bionic-BB 19.03 32-bit.

Looks like Remaster puppy live CD is the only solution.

Do you understand how to use the different programs for changing hardware settings?
Different programs ??? Which ?
I have little experience with the linux console commands, normally I use Setup - ALSA sound wizards -Screen wizards or over GRUB bootloader with the PFIX=Xorg option in Menu.lst or PFIX=FSCK can also fix problems.

Linux is nice, but somethimes you have to test things 50 times to get it right :roll: 8-)

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

If using the setup programs that are in menu ->Setup are not providing the setup changes you need.

Your best option is going to be do a remaster with all the programs you want to have in the remaster.

That is really the idea of making a remaster.

First time you boot it on whatever computer.

Setup a save for that specific computer with hardware settings for it.

Do this for each specific Puppy version and specific computer.

If you have any issues with hardware.
Only way to help you is start a topic talking about one specific computer and one specific Puppy version, having the issues.

No way can we give you fix advice, trying to talk about several different Puppy versions, and several different computers.

Note:
Trying to look into what is stored in the save, for different hardware settings, maybe could be done.
But what specific files would need to be deleted and still have a save, that still could be used.
No one really wants to take the time to do that.
I have never tried to do it.
Maybe delete everything that is not for specific programs you added.
Have fun trying to figure out what would need to stay in the save.
Note:
Save cannot be used while doing this edit to it.

However, your issues seem to also to be about very specific hardware, that could require adding specific drivers and firmware.
That requires this:
Only way to help you is start a topic talking about one specific computer and one specific Puppy version, having the issues.

Forum Global Moderator

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@rolandradio :-

With regard to the task-bar icon reading zero, but audio volume being present, take a look at the settings in Retrovol (rt-clk on the volume icon -> Config window -> Tab 'Tray'). I'll bet you pounds to peanuts that the setting for 'Tray Slider' is wrong, and that 'Master Playback Volume' needs to be re-selected from the drop-down list.

(This is quite a common issue; certainly, it has been for me over the last decade. In my case, it's directly due to the app I wrote for swapping audio cards without need for a restart, and is down to the way this has been coded to work.)

Let us know if that solves this one issue, at least. This will occur regardless of whether you use a 'save-file' OR a 'save-folder'...

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

rolandradio

Post by rolandradio »

bigpup wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:16 am

However, your issues seem to also to be about very specific hardware, that could require adding specific drivers and firmware.
That requires this:

As I sad its Puppy xenial 7.5 32-bit, but the other distro's are some hints, while some issues are the same on other distro's.

If using the setup programs that are in menu ->Setup are not providing the setup changes you need.
Ah, good to know ! :thumbup:

Some Computers:

Jetway D525 Atom, 4Gb RAM Sata
Advantech Core i5 Haswell, 8Gb RAM SATA
IBase Socket M 2.2 GHz, 1Gb RAM Sata
IBase 945 Socket P, 4Gb RAM Sata
Via Epia PD 1000MHz, 1 Gb RAM PATA

First the problem on this configuration:
IBase 945 Socket P, 4Gb RAM Sata with Xenial 7.5 32-bit 24-Feb-2019, include Adrv and Zdrv SFS

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Please do this!

Start a new topic for the specific computer and specific Puppy version.

Do not keep talking about them in this topic.

One computer one specific Puppy version in a topic is easy to read and provide help.
Everything posted is only talking about one specific thing.

when solution is found.

Mark topic as solved.

Start a new topic for something else.

Forum Global Moderator

rolandradio

Re: How delete old drivers audio/graphics in Pupxxxsave.4fs? (Solved)

Post by rolandradio »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:39 am

@rolandradio :-

With regard to the task-bar icon reading zero, but audio volume being present, take a look at the settings in Retrovol (rt-clk on the volume icon -> Config window -> Tab 'Tray'). I'll bet you pounds to peanuts that the setting for 'Tray Slider' is wrong, and that 'Master Playback Volume' needs to be re-selected from the drop-down list.

(This is quite a common issue; certainly, it has been for me over the last decade. In my case, it's directly due to the app I wrote for swapping audio cards without need for a restart, and is down to the way this has been coded to work.)

Let us know if that solves this one issue, at least. This will occur regardless of whether you use a 'save-file' OR a 'save-folder'...

Mike. ;)

Solution:
Multiple sundcard wizard, then select the audio device, then click on config, a text mode Alsa mixer comes, then set Master to top, now it's more forced to use this device.

Do this next while after reboot, because it will be wrong again:

Rt clk on volume icon, Config window - Tray - Trayslider - set to 32: Master playback volume.
Now its stays forever, volume max. after each reboots.

Thanx Mike :thumbup:

Return to “Beginners Help”