LocalSend -- Share Files on Local Network

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

LocalSend -- Share Files on Local Network

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks bigpup for discovering it, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 31#p118131 and Clarity for providing the link to a Youtube tutorial on how to deploy and configure it, https://youtu.be/2ITezMkbAqE.

The Youtube shows that versions can be installed into Windows, Linux, Mac, Android and IOS. Downloads are from here, https://localsend.org/download. There are deb, AppImage and tar packages for Linux. There's also a link to 'All Releases', i.e. older versions.

LocalSend evidently runs under Bookworm on whose thread bigpup reported it. I started today booting into Bionicpup64. The Appimage failed silently. The tar package is a portable. LDDing its binary revealed a missing dependency. Perhaps an older release might function, or the dependency can be satisfied.

Current AppImage ran OOTB under Jammypup64. ListDD under both Bionicpup64 and Fossapup64_9.5 of the portable and installed deb revealed this missing dependency: libayatana-appindicator3.so.1 which is not available via pkgs.org for 'Ubuntus' or debians. But it must be a 'builtin' of Jammy and Bookworm. Flinch? Or try an earlier version.

Please report your experience and any discovered 'workarounds' for various Puppys.

Last edited by mikeslr on Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rcrsn51

Re: LocalSend -- Share Files on Local Network

Post by rcrsn51 »

mikeslr wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:40 pm

Thanks bigpup for discovering it,

Localsend was first identified by gychang.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, rcrsn51, for the correction.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Heh. Sorry, guys, but to me it looks very much like a solution looking for a non-existent problem.

Dukto has been around for a LONG time. It works well for me. And being out-of-date and unmaintained isn't an issue when you only use it across a LAN.....

I know I always say "Choice is a GOOD thing", but.....hell; there's only so many ways you can re-invent the wheel.

Mike. :|

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

This is the original post asking if it could work in F96-CE.
viewtopic.php?t=11372

It did not run.

But after finding the dependency stuff needed and installing that.
It worked.

My post was in the PET & SFS Programs Compatible With Bookworm Pup64 topic, because it worked in it, with no issues, using the deb package.

Any other Puppy versions are probably going to need to add dependency stuff.
Maybe all that they would need is what was needed for F96-CE. :idea:

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

vektor_alian

Post by vektor_alian »

Responding to Mike's comment about Dukto: Have used it for years . No dark mode that I can find . Otherwise great app.

LocalSend seems to be much more configurable and has dark mode to boot. Yay.

Vektor

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

To run in F96-CE_4 LocalSend needs a package installed with the PPM or pkg -> libayatana-appindicator3-1_0.5.4-2

Download and Extract the tarball (or the .deb). Place inside a directory in a usual location, I used ~/my-applications

Screenshot(8).jpg
Screenshot(8).jpg (18.17 KiB) Viewed 1268 times

Install the dependency package listed above. Then I did a trick by downloading the .deb version and extracting that package to grab the localsend_app.desktop file and icon!

The icons can go in /usr/share/icons.

Make a symlink /root/my-applications/LocalSend-1.14.0/localsend_app to /root/my-applications/bin/localsend_app

Code: Select all

ln -s /root/my-applications/LocalSend-1.14.0/localsend_app  /root/my-applications/bin

Then a quick Menu->Fixmenus

Screenshot(9).jpg
Screenshot(9).jpg (22.2 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

@rockedge

For F96-CE_4 install.

I installed the deb package of LocalSend provided on it's download web site.
Downloaded it and click on to install.

Installed the libayatana-appindicator3-1_0.5.4-2 by using PPM.

It put a menu entry in Utility.

Click on the menu entry and it starts up.

Seems to be working, but have not really tried to use it.

By what you posted is there something about what I did that will not work when trying to run the program?

Forum Global Moderator

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

bigpup wrote:

By what you posted is there something about what I did that will not work when trying to run the program?

Nope! Installing the .deb and the dependency will work just as well.

It's a nifty tool, I tested it out between my Android phone and both a F96-CE_4 and KLV-Airedale

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Localsend-portable64

For anyone that's interested, here's a 'portable' build of Localsend:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/158v43 ... d-portable

The oldest it will work with is Bionicpup64; libayatana-appindicator came from Bionic's repos, and cross-checking with /ubuntu/pool reveals this to be one of the earliest builds listed. It'll run under newer Puppies, but prior to Bionicpup64, there's conflicts with the older builds of GTK 3.0, and it doesn't want to know (can't find the required functions).

Definitely runs under Bionicpup64, PhilB's original Fossapup64 and F96_CE4; these were tested. I don't have a suitably functional BWP64 ATM, 'cos I haven't really done anything with this yet....so I can neither confirm nor deny whether Localsend-portable will work with this Pup.

Comments, etc, would be appreciated.

BTW:- Anybody figured out yet what's with the funny name in big letters (and the number underneath it)? Both seem to change from Puppy to Puppy..... :?

Mike. ;)

Marv

Post by Marv »

Just started to play with this as portable. I now have it opening in my installs of the current LxPupSc64 (23.01 +6), Voidpup64 (github 04/20/2024 build), and Bookworm64 10.0.6. To get it to open in my install of BW64, I needed the libraries in libdbusmenu_BW64.tar.gz, and for my LxPup64 and Voidpup64 installs I needed the libraries in libdbusmenu_slackware.tar.gz; both attached below. I just added them to lib in the portable in both cases. In both cases, the libraries were downloaded from the appropriate PPMs.

So far no luck with my installs of @ozsouth Fossapup64 derivatives. Adding the libs got me over the first hump but I still have a gtk3 settings key error and a missing gl error there.

I haven't put it on a second device yet to check transfers so this is just my experience and very preliminary!

Attachments
libdbusmenu_slackware.tar.gz
(76.57 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
libdbusmenu_BW64.tar.gz
(30.8 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

mikewalsh wrote:

BTW:- Anybody figured out yet what's with the funny name in big letters (and the number underneath it)? Both seem to change from Puppy to Puppy..

Yes! The name is what that system shows up as to another LocalSend machine on the network. So it effect the system name on the local area network.
The number also helps identify the system on the LAN along with the name
In the Settings there is a form field that allows assigning a custom name. Then that name will represent the system on the LAN, along with the number. :thumbup:

I am testing it out with an Android phone, F96-CE_4 blade server, KLV-Airedale (x2) equaling 4 devices. All running LocalSend, each with a unique name.
The names show up in each machine's LocalSend Send/Receive too device selection lists.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

As I understand, the program randomly makes up a name for the device, when you install the program on it.

Then you can change it to something you want it to be.

Forum Global Moderator

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Exactly: Changed to something 'Human-Meaningful' such as "WifesWin11".

Marv

Post by Marv »

@mikewalsh (or @rockedge ), could you start localsend (either installed or the portable where 'discovery' works) from terminal and post the results? Redact anything you don't want in it. My installs start and seem to run ok in the pups I mentioned above but the UDP discovery is failing. Firewall is off of course and I don't see anything obvious on my router. My lan size is 32, and there is one mention of a 24 limit but that isn't easy for me to change.

Thanks,

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Firewall details here, if required by anyone:-

https://github.com/localsend/localsend? ... file#setup

Don't know if this is applicable to you, @Marv ? Incoming/outgoing requirements are different, apparently...

Mike. :?

Marv

Post by Marv »

Thanks Mike, So far I've done my testing with firewalls off on both test machines. Figured if I got it up that way then I'd open up the firewalls for it.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Marv LocalSend is working well on my tests between iPad iOS, Android CoolPad phone, Optiplex 990 KLV-AiredaIe, Dell PowerEdge R210 II rack server using F96-CE_4.

Tried it from a terminal which started the application but shows only

Code: Select all

# localsend_app

(localsend_app:32109): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 12:15:33.123: gdk_window_get_state: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
flutter: dynamic_color: Accent color detected.
#

In most cases, LocalSend should work out of the box. However, if you are having trouble sending or receiving files, you may need to configure your firewall to allow LocalSend to communicate over your local network.

Traffic Type

Protocol

Port

Action

Incoming

TCP, UDP

Allow

Outgoing

TCP, UDP

Any

Allow

Also make sure to disable AP isolation on your router. It should be usually disabled by default but some routers may have it enabled (especially guest networks).

It looks like LocalSend uses https: to do the file transfer (like a download from this forum) and creates the certificates for that on the fly.

:geek:

Marv

Post by Marv »

OK, making progress here. I now have it working correctly in Bookworm64 10.0.6 + LXDE (usrmerged ozsouth 6.6.28 kernel), LxPupSc64 23.01 +6 (ozsouth 6.6.28 kernel), Voidpup github 04/20/2024 build plus LXDE (6.6.27 kernel), and F96-CE 4 (stock kernel). Transfer speed is good and checksums have all been OK on a couple of 100 to 200 MB transfer tests.

In the main localsend screen, the information icon, upper right corner should show the ip address and port when started. I wasn't getting that ip address reported in BW64 with a 6.7.5 kernel -could also see the fail in terminal- don't know why. Since that was set up as my main machine that was the root of my problems.

I've now run the portable in all and the 'installed from deb plus needed libraries' in Bookworm64 10.0.6. Hardware used so far is all Fujitsu S761 all intel laptops circa 2012.

So far, firewalls off. I'll open them up and restart next. A subnet size of 32 isn't a problem. My router setup is pretty standard, mostly dynamic ips with a couple of wired static ips for printers. ipv6 enable or disable doesn't matter. AP isolation disabled by default with no real way to enable it except for guest networks.

I have the old android tablet but haven't set it up as yet or pursued the Fossapup64 derivs, but I like what I see so far.

Thanks,

Later: Firewall setup is simple, single line in 'extras' in the firewall setup: 53317,TCP,UDP,192.168.10.0/16 does the trick for me (note the 10 here in my lan, more usual use is 1).

Later: I have it running in my fossapup64_9.5 derivative installs. So far just tested in @Jasper 'Fire' but the problem/add is the same in all so they should be OK. localsend requires the mesa-dri package which isn't included in these pups. Adding libgl1-mesa-dri 21.2.6 and rebooting gets localsend working. Doing that however costs 30Mb :!: in a HC xz compressed main SFS. Ugh! A judicial manual install only saved 1 Mb. Is it worth it? Not sure yet. I might poke at it a bit later but at least I know the why of it.

Return to “Network”