https://www.ghacks.net/2024/04/23/windo ... u-feature/

Distro: fossapup64 9.5
Window Manager: JWM v2.4.0
Desktop Start: xwin jwm
Firefox portable: 115.5.0esr (64-bit)

mouldy

Re: Yet another reason not to use Windoze

Post by mouldy »

This is the SSE4.2 instructions, the same requirement 64bit android has. I ran into this with Waydroid (and PrimeOS, BlissOS and Android x86). But seriously if you have older hardware that currently you forced win11 onto, use 23H2 when its absolutely necessary to use windows, its not like lot of windows software is going to differentiate. And anybody running win11 on hardware that doesnt do SSE4.2 probably arent using it as daily driver. Full constantly updated for marketing purposes win11 on such hardware going to be rather slow. Most software will just see win11, even after win10 bites the dust and it wont go beyond that. Most probably run on win10 for long time past its EOL. Win11 is really just another win10 update, but one they decided to make into a cash cow forgetting that promise that win10 was the LAST windows operating system. Though will point out some android software DOES sniff for SSE4.2 on its own. Some folk limping by with 32bit android on older computers were not best pleased when some updated game that used to play fine on their system, no longer would.

Whole lot of this micromanaging going on. Think of all the linux software that refuses to run as root. Isnt this the decision of the system owner/administrator, not some software writer/coder? Course the windows/android thing is more about money and selling hardware. The hardware people by way werent happy when Microsoft gave free upgrades of win10 on win7 computers. They felt they were cheated out profits on selling new hardware, now apparently they are being rewarded. The linux thing on other hand is "big brother knows best" and will try to force you to do the right thing as they see it.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@mouldy :-

I don't know about "Big Brother knows best'. It's more a case of the 'ruling elite' of the Linux world have got this bee in their bonnet about needing to log-in to your own system - on your OWN MACHINE, too! - as being the ONLY way anyone should be allowed to run.

It's more along the lines of "security through obscurity", if you ask me. Because the system has worked for decades in this exact same fashion, why bother changing it? And anybody who tries to "rock the boat" - like US - gets castigated for it, and dismissed out of hand.

I agree with the multi-user model, whole-heartedly, in its place.....i.e., large organisations that have hundreds of individuals all using the same system, most of whom are using the internet and communicating with lots of other folks around the globe all day long. But it really doesn't fit the single home user paradigm AT ALL.

Mike. :roll:

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Governor

Post by Governor »

I see it as an affront to common sense and antithetical to humanity to be forced to log in to my own computer.
For me, one of the bad computer experiences is getting a message on my own computer that says:
"You must enter a password."
"You do not have permission..."
"You are not allowed..."
"Access denied."
And so on.

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:12 pm

@mouldy :-

I don't know about "Big Brother knows best'. It's more a case of the 'ruling elite' of the Linux world have got this bee in their bonnet about needing to log-in to your own system - on your OWN MACHINE, too! - as being the ONLY way anyone should be allowed to run.

It's more along the lines of "security through obscurity", if you ask me. Because the system has worked for decades in this exact same fashion, why bother changing it? And anybody who tries to "rock the boat" - like US - gets castigated for it, and dismissed out of hand.

I agree with the multi-user model, whole-heartedly, in its place.....i.e., large organisations that have hundreds of individuals all using the same system, most of whom are using the internet and communicating with lots of other folks around the globe all day long. But it really doesn't fit the single home user paradigm AT ALL.

Mike. :roll:

Distro: fossapup64 9.5
Window Manager: JWM v2.4.0
Desktop Start: xwin jwm
Firefox portable: 115.5.0esr (64-bit)

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Always remember
Windows is a Service
in which you serve them your valuable data
and they grant you permission to log on.

Drill Out Your Tumbler

I see it as an affront to common sense
and antithetical to humanity
being forced to use a key
to start my own car.

Drill out your tumbler.
Disable the alarm.
Install a Model-A hand crank
and turn it over
like back in the day
of the strong, proud,
properly dressed population.