Best partition of SSD for Puppy?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

OldMan

Best partition of SSD for Puppy?

Post by OldMan »

My 120GB SSD currently is LUKS encrypted and has Fedora installed. I'm happy to get rid of Fedora and the LUKS encryption and become a full time Puppy user (including experimenting with multiple variants).

The FrugalPup Help section says that I need an install partition and a boot partition and to use GParted to create them but other than understanding the boot partition is meant to be a small fat32 partition I'm not sure how large to make it or what is the best format I should use for the install partition. I assume I simply make the install partition to take up the remainder of the disk once the boot partition has been created.

Thanks.

williwaw

Re: Best partition of SSD for Puppy?

Post by williwaw »

viewtopic.php?t=5275

this tutorial reccomends 100mb. If you ever have an occasion to plug your ssd into a windows machine and need the fat partition for storage to share with windows, you might want bigger.

you dont have to allocate all of the rest of the drive ext3, some of the drive can remain unallocated for now if you are unsure of future needs.

bigpup

Re: Best partition of SSD for Puppy?

Post by bigpup »

If all you are going to use this SSD for is Puppy Linux frugal installs.

The 2nd partition should be the rest of the drive formatted ext 3 or 4 Linux formats.

If you ever want Windows OS to maybe store something on it and be able to read/write to it.

Then take some of the space and make a 3rd partition formatted ntfs.

Puppy could still use this ntfs formatted partition.

Keeping any of the space on the drive as unallocated is just keeping it unusable.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Beginners Help”