Using APT to see what is upgradeable

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

Jasper

Using APT to see what is upgradeable

Post by Jasper »

Hi all

I wanted to check to see what components are upgradeable.

I used the bdrv for FP96-Alpha3 as a shortcut.

I did initially update all the repositories for their package lists.

]Image

The conclusion, that I arrived at, is that once all the building blocks are finished then the developers move onto the next OS build.

FP95 had OpenSSL 1.1.1.f included and the final release was 1.1.1.w (EOL - 23 Sept 2023).

Using APT to locate this application just lead me to the initial offering 1.1.1.f.

ozsouth

Re: Using APT to see what is upgradeable

Post by ozsouth »

@Jasper - ubuntu seem to make their own updates. In a terminal, run: openssl version & look at the date.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@ozsouth

I have updated my version manually

.......... oops I stand to be corrected :oops: :oops: It shows the updates I installed on the RHS.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Canonical backports security patches from newer versions to 1.1.1f but the version number stays at 1.1.1f (as reported by openssl version) - for example, 1.1.1f-1ubuntu2.22 (the package version you see in dpkg -l) backports a security fix and applies it to 1.1.1f. If your Ubuntu 20.04 is updated, feature-wise, you have 1.1.1f, but security-wise, you're ahead of 1.1.1f and Canonical keeps backporting security fixes for some EOL libraries.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@dimkr

Slightly off-topic but still concerns the repositories.

I was looking at a newer build of Mesa to use ( ......... dev/beta build of JammyPup64)

Updated the repository for Jammy

Then I am informed the updates are already installed:

How did this happen?

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@Jasper PPM doesn't handle the corner case of a single package with multiple versions available, among other things. And it's unmaintained, this is only one issue among many.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@dimkr I still had to use the PPM even though apt is now available. Didn't want to but apt wouldn't install a PHP module package from the Ubuntu Focal Fossa repo correctly or at all. The PPM did in about a second. This is a special case and probably doesn't indicate much other than there are some bugs in the apt implementation in the Fossapup64 woof-CE builds

Still if I could install all the components and servers from ZoneMinder using APT I'd say test done and lets drop the PPM and Pkg. But I can't. APT could not install the mariaDB server packages for some reason and balked on lots of the PHP installation.

Went one version back to F96-CE_4 and using 2 scripts that utilizes pkg installed ZoneMinder and it works using the same official and PPA Focal Fossa repos.

Though since F96-CE is actually pretty old now it doesn't matter as much and these hiccups are a nuisance but looking forward we could drop the PPM and pkg altogether from future Puppy Linux's.

Return to “Fossapup64”