A free, lightweight, portable password manager

Moderator: Forum moderators

PeteAir

A free, lightweight, portable password manager

Post by PeteAir »

WebPage: https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazlock/

From the page: A free, lightweight, portable password manager for Windows & GNU/Linux that encrypts your data with 128 bit AES encryption.
LazLock also includes a password generator which allows you to create more secure passwords.
A plain text version of your data is never written to disk as all decryption is done in memory.
LazLock is truly portable, no installation is required so it can be run from a USB drive.
Unlike similar programs, there are no dependencies on the .NET Framework (Windows) or Mono (Linux).

I have used this for 3-4 years on tahr64, xenial64, bionic64pup and dog, busterdog, perfectly.
But not on fossapup54.When run from terminal it opens the main password
then closes with this in terminal:
TLResourceList.Sort 7 DUPLICATE RESOURCE FOUND: powered_by:JPG
TLResourceList.Sort 9 DUPLICATE RESOURCE FOUND: powered_by_mask:BMP

Anyone else use this program? Since it is fully portable I would think mikewalsh would be on this, since he is the King of portable programs.

Thanks, pete

April

Re: A free, lightweight, portable password manager

Post by April »

I have been looking for a free password manager to replace LastPass for some time .
I'll have a look at this thanks.
I posted a security question on sourceforge about a possible back door often written in to these sorts of programs by developers. Howw can I be sure that is not the case here?
Have you seen any sign of anything fishy?

The creators name @CyberFilth does not really fill me with enthusiasm .

Seems to need work. It could not log me in here.
There are no tooltips .Does not seem very polished and apparently no extension I can add to my browsers to have it readily available.
Don't think I like it already.

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

PeteAir

Post by PeteAir »

Hi, April
In the years I have used it I have not seen anything funny with lazlock. It does not have a browser extension nor does it integrate with a browser in anyway. You open lazlock, click the site you have entered in you site list and at the bottom click the button for the url and it will open the "Default browser" that is set to the page url. Click the button next to username and it copies it to clipboard then paste it in, same with password.
I wanted a manager that was completely separate from any browser. Is it perfect no, has it worked for me yep. I keep it on a flash drive to use on 2 desktops and 2 laptops. For me 1 flash drive for 4 systems no syncing problems just does its job. I also have a backup flash drive that I sync every so often.
I have no interest in this program except as a user.
pete

April

Post by April »

@puppytrue
Are you asking a question here ? If so you need to elaborate.

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

xenial

Post by xenial »

I use the built in figaro password manager.

April

Post by April »

xenial wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:41 pm

Built in to what?

xenial

Post by xenial »

April wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:30 am
xenial wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:41 pm

Built in to what?

Figaro password manager usually comes preinstalled in most puppies in the personal section..I have 2 pups up and running scpup32bit and xenial 32 and they both have figaro preinstalled.

April

Post by April »

I have never noticed it before . Figaro Password Manager 2
So I gave it a run
It needs your data in an xml file so
Put my details in an xml file and tried to import them .
It said the file was not XML
It clearly was
So no vote from me ,just wasted my time ,

Xenialpup64-7.5

CloeVelez

Post by CloeVelez »

Thanks for sharing your experience with LazLock. It sounds like a handy tool for keeping passwords secure.
Regarding the issue you're experiencing on fossapup54, it seems like a compatibility issue with the program. Since fossapup54 is a bit different from the other distros you've used, it might be causing some unexpected behavior. You could try reaching out to the developer or the community for help in resolving the issue.
As for me, when it comes to managing passwords, I usually rely on an online password generator. It's convenient and ensures that my passwords are strong and secure.

Return to “Network”