System requirements for Puppy Linux

Moderator: Forum moderators

Manessa

System requirements for Puppy Linux

Post by Manessa »

Good afternoon, here’s a question. What are the system requirements for Puppy Linux? Well, how much RAM and processor and disk space do you need? I’m new to Linux, so if anyone thinks the question is stupid, then I apologize

geo_c

Re: System requirements for Puppy Linux

Post by geo_c »

First, there are a lot of different puppies and their sizes are not uniform, but I can say that F96_CE4 (Fossapup64_9.6) will run on my Toshiba netbook using 2GB Ram, and One Celeron 1.6Ghz processor.

Second it depends what you want to do. F96 runs really well on this underpowered netbook of mine, and I can browse, play audio, etc, but watching long videos on youtube will usually cause a lag in video playback. So really heavy resource applicatons and websites are going yield mixed results depending on the hardware limitations.

Drive capacity requirements also depend on what you want to do. Most puppy OS's can run from a 2GB USB drive (or less) but if you install more applications, download to that location, make backups of the saved settings, then of course that will fill up fast.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

:welcome: To Puppy Linux!

The info is provided here:
viewtopic.php?t=5127

Needed disk space for a Puppy version install depends on the Puppy version.

You can check the size of the Puppy version ISO to see how much room the install would need.
Generally 300 to 800 MB is the size of most Puppy versions.
They are all going to be different sizes.

Puppy uses a save file or folder to store any changes in as you use it.
So the location the save is placed needs room to store changes, added software, etc.........
I would have at least 5GB of free space available.

Here is some topics on Puppy you may want to read:
viewforum.php?f=184

There a two basic ways to install Puppy.
Live install ->All the files in the Puppy ISO placed on a USB drive or burned as ISO image to a CD/DVD.

Frugal install -> All the files in the Puppy ISO placed in a directory (folder) with a boot loader installed on the drive to boot it with.
(frugal is the name used. it is still the complete OS)
As a directory (folder) can be placed on any partition, any format, even in a partition location inside another OS on the computer.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Following up on bigpup's post. From the link he provided definitely read How Puppy Linux Works, then How Puppy Linux's Save Works. Also read bigpup's post here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... p=816#p816, especially this part:

"Computer make and model or specs?
CPU?
Memory? Emphasis supplied*.
Graphics hardware?
Network hardware?
Any info about the computer can always help."

Bionicpup may not be the best choice for your computer and computing objectives. Puppy is a 'family' of operating systems. There is almost certainly one which will run on your computer no matter how new or old-and-under-powered, and be capable of doing the usual things like surfing the web, writing and drawing. But if you have some special interests such as video editing, zoom or studying programming tell us what they are. We'll steer you to one or more Puppys which may fit your needs and tell you right away that 'you're dreaming'.

-=-=-=-=-
* Puppys can use applications which --like Window's portables-- aren't installed. Among those are AppImages, SFSes and portables. They take up space on your storage media but require no RAM when not in use. Which of these you can use depends on which Puppy you choose; and how many you can use determines how much space --other than the 5 +/- Gbs-- of storage you'll need.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Manessa wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:16 am

What are the system requirements for Puppy Linux? ...

This a good question AND there is an answer that you may NOT have noticed: Almost or most of the distros developers on the PLDF forum indicate when announcing their distros the recommended or expected PC requirement for comfortable performance.

Look for it in the opening threads of any distro you find interesting.

Otherwise, in my experiences, any 64bit PCs will have little trouble booting and using any distros found on this forum.

Enjoy

Return to “Bionic”