Midori Browser Portable 64-bit

Moderator: Forum moderators

fredx181

Midori Browser Portable 64-bit

Post by fredx181 »

Here's a portable version of the newest Midori Browser (currently v11.1.2) (see also here: viewtopic.php?t=9478)
The setup is very similar as the various portable browsers that @mikewalsh shared here, e.g. includes "LAUNCH" "MenuAdd" etc..
Also an updater is included , run ./UpdateMidori from terminal inside the Midori-Portable64 directory and it should update to new version (if available).
Update: new UpdateMidori script: viewtopic.php?p=117223#p117223
edit: (the internal updater from Midori (see Help > About) doesn't seem to work at this time (error), or perhaps it doesn't like the portable setup ?)

Download: Midori-Portable64.tar.xz https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/scl/f ... b673k&dl=1
Extract somewhere (should be on a Linux filesystem, not on FAT or NTFS) and run "LAUNCH" from the Midori-Portable64 directory .
(will run "as root")

Sound: Should work on systems with pulseaudio or pipewire running (e.g. Bookwormpup64, KLV-Airedale) but ALSO on systems with "just ALSA".
(for to make just ALSA work, a "extralibs" folder is included , it works just the same as "apulse" (from OscarTalks) by pointing LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.... to 'extralibs' (in LAUNCH script)

mikewalsh

Re: Midori Browser Portable 64-bit

Post by mikewalsh »

@fredx181 :-

Hey, nice one, Fred!

Never been much of a fan of the original Midori, but I'll take a look at this a bit later.....see what I think, like.

Will report back on my "findings". (As I'm often wont to say, "Choice is GOOD". And IMHO, the wider the choice, the better...) :D

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

keniv

Post by keniv »

@fredx181
Thanks for this. I have not as yet tried Midori in it's new iteration. I am a bit of a fan of the portable format. Have downloaded and installed it in the same way as with other portables. Currently running in Bookworm 10.0.3. Am just setting it up and am posting from it now.

Regards,

Ken.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Thanks for testing !
Found a small glitch in Midori, default search not working for me (at this time), reported here: viewtopic.php?p=105056#p105056

Dingo

Post by Dingo »

not working in XenialPup64 7.5, as expected:

Code: Select all

XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /initrd/mnt/tmpfs/tmp/Midori-Portable64/midori/libxul.so:
/usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.22' not found (required by /initrd/mnt/tmpfs/tmp/Midori-Portable64/midori/libxul.so)
Couldn't load XPCOM.
josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

fredx181 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:20 pm

Thanks for testing !
Found a small glitch in Midori, default search not working for me (at this time), reported here: viewtopic.php?p=105056#p105056

the default search with astian.go does not work, but if you put google bing or duckduckgo it works.
the problem is already reported.

keniv

Post by keniv »

@fredx181 On starting Midori got a message telling me there was an update to 11.1.3. I used the method you outlined in the first post which according to Help>About Midori has worked, however, I wondered if it was possible to update Midori from the message in a similar way to that which is used to update Firefox. Also is it possible to stop the Midori splash screen changing both image and colour. I've looked through settings but cannot find a way to do this though it's perfectly possible that I may have missed it.

Regards,

Ken.

Edit: In the corner of the start up splash screen there is a small "cog" in a box. Clicking on this brings up a box including "shortcuts". There is a check box for "sponsored shortcuts". It appears that this box cannot be unticked. I was pretty sure that I was able to do this before I updated but I am not sure. I can turn off "shortcuts" completely. I think you should be able to turn off "sponsored shortcuts".

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Well, so far first impressions are good. Despite being essentially a 'tweaked' 'zilla clone, the last couple of days appear to show it as being more stable than FF itself.......yes, it STILL occasionally dumps on me and crashes when it feels like it. Nowhere near as often as it used to, it's true, but it DOES still happen.....

Up till now, Midori hasn't done this. We shall see.

Just updated to 11.1.3, and I can confirm Ken's findings about it being impossible to disable "sponsored shortcuts". In 'Settings' itself, this function is actually 'greyed-out', and unresponsive. Doubtless a setting under 'About:config' will fix it (if anyone fancies tracking it down, that is!)

Aside from that, I like it. Definitely functional as a "daily-use" browser.

Mike. :thumbup:

Dry Falls

Post by Dry Falls »

@fredx181
In your /DATA/midori-portable.desktop,

Categories=X-Internet-browser;Network:WebBrowser

should read

Categories=X-Internet-browser;Network;WebBrowser;

to show up correctly in menu.

df

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Update required for the UpdateMidori script (inside Midori-Portable64 dir)
Thanks to @geo_c for mentioning (in other thread) that the script failed to update the portable midori.
Reason, basically; the midori download url had been changed in the meantime.
New UpdateMidori script with fix attached, remove fake .gz extension, make executable (e.g. chmod +x UpdateMidori) and copy to the Midori-Portable64 dir replacing the old one.

UpdateMidori.gz
Remove fake .gz extension, make executable and replace in Midori-Portable64 dir
(2.34 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
geo_c

Post by geo_c »

@fredx181 the new update script works!

This is a pretty nice browser! Definitely fast.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@fredx181 :-

Thanks for this, Fred. Now working again......and for a bonus, it also seems to download one hell of a lot faster than the old URL (which I suspected was the problem). The old URL was, um, kinda slowww.....

I'd been downloading from the site and doing a manual upgrade for the last few releases.

I, too, can't figure out why the internal updater doesn't work. I doubt it's to do with "not liking the portable format", since most of the 'zilla-based portables are perfectly happy with it. Anyways.....

.....cheers, buddy! :thumbup:

Mike. :D

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

For who updated to latest v11.3.2, report about enabling DRM : viewtopic.php?p=117578#p117578

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

mikewalsh wrote:

I, too, can't figure out why the internal updater doesn't work.

From version 11.2 on, the internal updater does work for me.
For those who don't like the automatic updates (like me ;) ), just place the "distribution" folder in the "midori" directory (same as can be done with Firefox) and it will not bother you again (and just remove it if you do want to update).
Attached "distribution.tar.gz' :

distribution.tar.gz
Extract in the "midori" directory
(179 Bytes) Downloaded 6 times

(but note that an update will possibly be desired later if running v11.3.2 when hopefully the DRM problem got fixed at some point of time , see above and viewtopic.php?p=117578#p117578).

Return to “Browsers and Internet”