Unhappy with Slacko Puppy

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

pupuklok

Unhappy with Slacko Puppy

Post by pupuklok »

Hello.I installing puppylinux slack version to a hdd . For new appilcations i must a tool getsfs but it gives a error message that it cannot find a repository . It stops and does nothing. The package manager is also a bad tool . When installing like vlc mediaplayer it must compile everything from source and it takes a long time . I stopped the install process because i dont wait hours for a simple program. Puppylinux is not userfriendly and add new aplications is a mess. It simple does not work . I use a old pentium 4 . Deleted puppylinux and install antix . Much better and no confusing tools like sfsget what simple did not work. Dont recommend puppy linux . It is not made for a new user. And making a usb stick is with windows not possible. No information how to create a bootable usb stick . Only a confusing article to use a program like "dd" .

Tippe

Re: Confusing

Post by Tippe »

Slacko puppy is Crap!

If you want to use a smart Puppy, try one of the Ubuntu or Debian based Puppies.
I'm using Bionic Puppy 64bit for around 5 years now.
Everything is working fine.
All I want to do, Ican do with that Puppy.
Package Manager works fine and updates fine, if needed.

Slacko Puppy is Crap!

Just my opinion based on some attempts I made, when searching for my Puppy.
No offense to the developer intended.

Bionic Puppy 64bit.
Won't use another one.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@pupuklok

:welcome:

Looks like you got off to a bad start. I have installed Puppy Linux on dozens of older computers like your Pentium 4 and it runs better than any other distro I've tested.

Take a look at this section of the forum first if you want to give it another try.

viewforum.php?f=184

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

I tried S15, one of the more recent Slack based puppies after using various puppies for 15 years now, and honestly I was pretty shocked to realize that slackware has very little to offer in the compiled applications department.

I soon realized that maybe the Slack philosophy is to compile your own programs. And I simply did not want to take that approach.

Pentium4 is pretty old, but fossapup64_9.5 will probably run on it, and it's possible that F96_CE4 will run on it also. I run F96 on all kinds of dual core and single core processors. One is a netbook with 2GB of ram and a single 1.6Ghz cpu. F96 has everything you'd expect from an OS, pulseaudio volume control, easy to connect wifi, etc. Fossapup64_9.5 has more legacy utilities like retrovol, and older puppy wifi network utilities that are not nearly as convenient.

You had a bad experience with a Slack based puppy. There are a whole lot of different approaches to puppy-linux, which if you invest the time in exploring and don't mind a certain learning curve involved, have the potential to give you complete control and versatility when it comes to installing and using operating systems.

What I mean, is that with these OS's it's possible to have a hundred fully functioning and versatile OS's on a single partition, and these OS's once you personally configure them to your tastes can be copied and booted from just about anywhere., backed up and rolled back if you happen to break something by fiddling around.

These are the only OS's I've used for the past 5 years, and I spend about 6 or 8 hours a day doing business/pro-audio work on them. I tweak my OS to my tastes and copy it to the various machines I use at different locations, which are all used 5-20 year old laptops.

If AntiX gives you that kind of flexibility and power by all means use it, but I believe there's a lot more capability available in the OS's available here.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

BologneChe

Re: Unhappy with Slacko Puppy

Post by BologneChe »

@geo_c
If someone is looking for a version of Puppy on Distrowatch, this is the one that comes up first.

Born to lose; live to win

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

BologneChe wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:06 pm

@geo_c
If someone is looking for a version of Puppy on Distrowatch, this is the one that comes up first.

Yes I am aware of that. And I read the discussion that preceded the inclusion of it on distrowatch. It was published basically to be a fill-in-the-gap submission, to keep puppy on the distrowatch site. I have no issue with S15 personally, but if I'm assessing the available packages situation correctly, in that there isn't much of a selection available from slackware, then certainly it's a difficult entry point for newcomers.

Since S15 was made available on distrowatch, several newer ones have been produced which would probably be a much smoother experience for someone just trying puppy for the first time. That's my two cents, and I was only addressing the original post. Not making a case for or against S15.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

@geo_c
It's the same observation as you. Far be it from me to want to make a controversy. But it's far from accessible for a beginner.

Born to lose; live to win

Return to “Beginners Help”