Damn Small Linux is back!

Amol

Damn Small Linux is back!

Post by Amol »

Hello puppy users !
Damn Small Linux is coming back.It is based on Antix this time: http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
Amol

Jasper

Re: Damn Small Linux is back!

Post by Jasper »

I read the developers thoughts and he mentioned Puppy Linux.

I did notice a typo ...... I believe it should be en_GB .

Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (320.65 KiB) Viewed 926 times
bugnaw333

Post by bugnaw333 »

Too slow to download :shock:

Attachments
Screenshot(8).png
Screenshot(8).png (9.32 KiB) Viewed 887 times
benali72

Post by benali72 »

If I read the DSL justification correctly, it seems the reason he gives for a DSL revival is that he wants a distro to fix on a 700 meg CD.

To me, that's not a compelling reason. Only really old computers depend on CDs ... even computers up to 20 years old have a DVD that holds 4.7 gig.

Not to mention all those older computers that can boot off a USB thumb drive -- which everyone who can uses instead of an optical disc these days.

I think DSL-2024 would be nice to have as another option. But I don't see its rationale as compelling. So I doubt it would get many users, certainly not as many as the original DSL did back around 2005 - 2006.

Just my guess....

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

@benali72
The current DSL is an Antix-based version. Honestly, for the little difference, I would choose Antix.

Born to lose; live to win

benali72

Post by benali72 »

I agree, to me it makes more sense just to go directly to antiX and use it. Or if you have to go smaller with the download or disk space for installing, use Puppy.

It's cool if DSL-2024 comes out as another option, but I just don't see it getting wide use compared to established distros that already do what DSL-2024 will offer.

wiak

Post by wiak »

It's also not difficult to take any DebianDog or KL distro build recipe and cut it or expand it to any distro form desired. Size comparable anyway - maybe sometimes smaller depending on what is included of course. Debiandog has been usefully around since 2013 so well polished, fully debian-compatible, and comes with all the Puppy-like frugal install sfs addon type features. Can't think of any short-coming compared to what is otherwise out there really, so that's been available for 11 years now! Some distros still trying today to catch up - waste of dev time really when so relatively few to help out.

KL might have been waste of time too except brought some extra 'tricks' like ability to use sfs or uncompressed addon layers, multi-instance installs and ability to use root-filesystem of most any underlying distro including one that had normal full install such as Linux Mint.

Nostalgia is all very well, but continued innovation is more useful.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Yea small is nice but worrying about a cd when a blank dvd usually cheaper (supply and demand) isnt very pertinent. The only practical need for ultra small iso is for people with either a very slow connection or very limited data. Hard to believe but last I looked there are still 1million dialup customers in USA, mostly in rural areas with no broadband and limited cell service.

But if you need an iso on a cd...

Retro Feature

With the new flash-knoppix script, it is now possible to create a mini-version (ca. 700MB) of Knoppix and also burn it on CD. The mini-edition consists of only the kernel, the graphical LXDE-GUI, tools for data rescue and the chromium browser. With this version, the user can more easily create own projects with a lean base system.

So there are options.

Now anybody else remember QNX demo disk w/gui (a gui system on a floppy really impressive) https://winworldpc.com/product/qnx/144mb-demo , and I remember some linux (text only) on a floppy disk (sorry cant remember what they called it). Toms? Whopping 1.44MB Yea a bootable operating system. The old 50MB DSL was bloated by those standards. Think Slitaz still offers a super small version 40MB?. And the usable version TinyCore is still around 300MB? But not only has the linux kernel grown exponentially, so have viable browsers. Can you still use some super basic browser, yea maybe, but you are kinda limiting yourself to very basic static html sites. Even if they can handle javascript, they are overwhelmed with all the scripts on most sites with no way to control them other than turning off javascript making the site unavailable.

https://bits.p1x.in/floppinux-an-embedd ... le-floppy/ So still people looking for ultra small challenge.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Made a really experimental and useless FirstRib with @wiak's build script using Void Linux as the base that was boot-able at 8 M with no GUI or anything else really. Extremely basic and had almost nothing you could really do with it except start it up and some commands on the console.

I could imagine adding some components to make it more useful or be able to a specific job autonomously and installing it on embedded devices or camera's.

Maybe monitor some signal in a sensor......the Dev's at the ZoneMinder project are playing around with RADAR motion sensors that can "see" through walls............

Now there are sensors being produced for the smart home security using these boards...they are tiny and cheap.

This one costs around $4 -> Motion Sensor Doppler Radar Module RCWL0516 (101812)

Return to “Other Distros”