what's a pnm file, how do i read it, pls?

Moderator: Forum moderators

boof

what's a pnm file, how do i read it, pls?

Post by boof »

i think its a printer file, from a failed print run. if i complete the prit, will i get back tge originall file, as it is the only copy, and my priter is u/s atm.

Wiz57

Re: what's a pnm file, how do i read it, pls?

Post by Wiz57 »

Signature available upon request

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@boof

Further to @wiz57 reply:

Based on search results, a PNM file is an image file format that is part of the Netpbm package of graphics programs and a programming library. The key points about PNM files are:

PNM stands for "Portable Any Map" and refers collectively to the Portable Bitmap (PBM), Portable Graymap (PGM), and Portable Pixmap (PPM) image file formats

These formats were designed to be easily exchanged between different computing platforms, as they are minimalist and uncompressed

The PBM format was invented in the 1980s by Jef Poskanzer as a way to transmit monochrome bitmaps via email without data corruption

Poskanzer later developed the PGM (grayscale) and PPM (color) formats and released them as part of the Pbmplus library in 19881

In 1993, the Netpbm package was developed to replace the original Pbmplus, and it continues to be widely used on Unix-like systems today

PNM files are identified by a "magic number" at the start of the file (Px) rather than the file extension, though the extensions .pbm, .pgm, .ppm, or .pnm are conventionally used

PNM files are commonly used as intermediate formats for converting between other image file types, as the Netpbm tools provide a wide range of conversion capabilities

In summary, PNM is a family of minimalist, uncompressed image file formats that are widely used for image processing and conversion, especially in the Unix/Linux ecosystem.

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

BionicPup32+28 19.03 - Linux 4.9.163 - lxpup - 32-pae [i686] - (UPup Bionic Beaver)
Frugal Install - Internal HDD - Gateway MX8716b - HDD 120GB - RAM 2GB

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.0
USB Stick 2GB

Doggy

Post by Doggy »

A PNM file is actually a portable anymap format used for images, not specifically printer files. You can open it with various image viewers or editing software. Completing a print won't give you back the original file, unfortunately. If it's your only copy, you might want to look into file recovery options if your printer's out of service.

boof

Post by boof »

pls recommend something

boof

Post by boof »

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/otxwykv4 ... vwm9u&dl=0
this is the file. i need it recovered and all the email addresses on the page pls.
thx.

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

It's just a normal and valid PNM file, readable with mtPaint, Viewnior and - of course - MMview :mrgreen:

boof

Post by boof »

thanks, sorted it. v grateful.

Return to “F96-CE”