What is QV?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

JusGellin

What is QV?

Post by JusGellin »

I noticed some referencing of something called QV in some of the posts. What is QV?
Thanks

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: What is QV?

Post by rockedge »

QV = Quirky Void

Quirky is an experimental operating system which BarryK developed.

I created Quirky Linux in 2010 and the last release was in 2018. I then notified Distrowatch that the project was discontinued.

Quirky was a full installation, occupying an entire partition, the same as most Linux distributions. It did not support squashfs (SFS) files, nor did it use aufs or overlay fs layered filesystem. So it did not have "run in RAM with a save file"; what it did have was strategies to minimize flushes to the storage media, to help prolong the life of flash media.

There are some guys active on the Puppy Forum who would have fond memories of Quirky. Well, Quirky is back, though this is "Quirky on steroids". And very highly experimental.

Yes, the features are as described above; however, major new features are added. Quirky can be installed frugally, that is, be in one folder in a partition used for other purposes -- but it has to be a btrfs partition. There is a snapshot and potentially rollback/roll-forward capability, like we have in EasyOS and the pups. The filesystem has read-write compression. There is per-folder encryption.

More info -> viewtopic.php?p=114633#p114633

top-banner.png
top-banner.png (15.99 KiB) Viewed 196 times

<<----- This is "Puppy", this forum carries his name and is the original creator of Puppy Linux
(with BarryK's help)

JusGellin

Re: What is QV?

Post by JusGellin »

Wow! There sure is a lot going on in this area of linux. -- just fascinating to see this! :thumbup:
Thanks for the simple explanation.

Return to “Beginners Help”