Booting with USB video adapter - blank screen flashing cursor (Watchguard XTM-5)

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

bigpup

Re: Booting with USB video adapter - blank screen flashing cursor (Watchguard XTM-5)

Post by bigpup »

Why are you talking about closing laptop lids?

This computer is not a laptop.

That image you posted of the display with buttons on the side of the computer.

Is that some way of getting into internal settings for how it works?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

aksala

Re: Booting with USB video adapter - blank screen flashing cursor (Watchguard XTM-5)

Post by aksala »

Well. I feel its similar because my primary display is 'present' but inactive and the symptoms match laptop user symptoms when they shut the lid and the primary display shuts down.

DL put out that patch but its a .deb which is debian so probably wont work but figured I would ask you folks.

The LCD used to function as a primitive input but now its just a toy I can write funny words on.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

DL put out that patch but its a .deb which is debian so probably wont work but figured I would ask you folks.

Most .deb packages will install by clicking on the package in the Rox file manager invoking petget to install it or on the command line use pkg to install the .deb

If the Puppy is Fossapup64 or F96-CE_4 which are built with Ubuntu binaries there is a good chance the packages will work!

aksala

Post by aksala »

alright so Displaylink has changed the downloaded file

its now a zip that unpacks a run file.

I run it and get this

Code: Select all

root# ./displaylink-driver-5.8.0-63.33.run 
Verifying archive integrity...  100%   MD5 checksums are OK. All good.
Uncompressing DisplayLink Linux Driver 5.8.0-63.33  100%  
ERROR: the installer script is unable to find out how to start DisplayLinkManager service automatically on your system.
Please set an environment variable SYSTEMINITDAEMON to 'upstart', 'systemd' or 'runit' before running the installation script to force one of the options.
Installation terminated.

no clue what this is trying to tell me, any ideas?

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

no clue what this is trying to tell me, any ideas?

Yes. Those are the different system services controllers. systemd is Debian/Ubuntu, runit comes from Void Linux and upstart is a Red Hat mechanism. Puppy Linux has used SysVinit.

Seems like it is looking for a service configuration file. I think in some Puppy variants there is a pseudo systemd for cases like this.

Return to “Beginners Help”