Master PDF Editor 'portables'

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Master PDF Editor 'portables'

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, guys'n'gals.

As bigpup quite rightly suggested, 'twere probably best for these to have their own thread; makes it easier for anyone to link to, should they be interested.

I've produced both 32- and 64-bit portables for series 4.....these are making use of packages provided by LinuxUprising.com. There's a 64-bit portable for series 5, straight from the current downloads page at Code-industry.net.....but I've rejected the 32-bit version. I don't know what they've done with it, but where most of the Master PDF Editor binaries run out around the 60-65MB mark, the current 32-bit series binary weighs in at a humungous 330MB..!! :shock: I'm not going to inflict that on anyone....

(The 4-series packages are based on 4.3.89, so very slightly newer than Fred/Festus provided. The features are all still there, though.)

These are "self-contained" in the sense that they include the required Qt4 libs needed by the binary; you don't have to install a 'full' Qt4 package if you don't want to. There may, however, be other odd dependencies needed; most of these should be present in pretty much all Pups, though there's always exceptions.

Code: Select all

ldd
.....throws up what looks like an enormous list of deps, but most of these are required by just about every package I've ever built...and come by default with Puppy.

Starting from the terminal, it does complain about not being able to find the 'icu18n' library, though I've tried 3 different versions of the 'icu' suite of deps, and it still complains it can't find it..! Curiously, the terminal doesn't make any mention of the version required.... (*shrug*)

It still works without issue, however.

-----------------------------

As you're all aware by now, due to recent discussion, the older 4-series are far more capable than the 5-series, where many features have been dropped for the free-to-use variant. As always, however, I strive to provide as great a choice as possible, and leave it up to the individual as to what they wish to use.

Same routine as always with my 'portables'; d/l; unzip; put it wherever you want. Click to enter, click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up.

For anyone interested, you can find 'em here:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Navigate through & help yourselves to the one you want. Hope these prove useful for some of you.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

soniabu

Re: Master PDF Editor 'portables'

Post by soniabu »

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:22 pm

Same routine as always with my 'portables'; d/l; unzip; put it wherever you want. Click to enter, click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up.

For anyone interested, you can find 'em here:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Navigate through & help yourselves to the one you want. Hope these prove useful for some of you.

Mike. ;)

Hi Mike, my SO is Bookworm.
I tried the application but the result on the terminal is this.
libaudio.so.2 can't find it in Synaptic; only here is a version but I don't know if it fits the case.
https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/libaudio2

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Yes, you can download that libaudio.so.
I don't have MikeWalsh's portable. But I'm guessing from his OP that he's built it like portable-firefox, that is within the portable folder is another, perhaps named 'extralibs' and that you start it via a script, perhaps named 'LAUNCH'. Such script would have instructions that the binary should use the libraries found in 'extralibs'.
If that's the case, you have a choice: (1) install the deb. (2) Extract the libaudio.so file from the deb and copy it into the 'extralibs' folder. The latter would be a little safer and likely enable you to use the portable if you change your operating system.

Not having Mike's portable --I didn't realize it existed-- I use Master PDF Editor by hunting for and installing libs into my Puppys. Well, actually I use the same libs I downloaded once in about 5 different Puppys not all of which are 'binary-compatible'. As long as libs are of the right architecture (32bit vs. 64bit and not for arm) they usually will work safely.

muggins

Post by muggins »

Hello Soniabu,

I received the same libaudio2 error as you, running Launch, but if I went into the main directory, (not on computer at moment so forget what it's called), and instead click on the MasterPdf binary, it ran without problems, so worth a try.

muggins

Post by muggins »

OK, on laptop now, and if enter directory master-pdf-editor-5 & try ./mpdfed5, then receive error "error while loading shared libraries: libaudio.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory, but if run, instead, ./masterpdfeditor5, gets QIconvCodec::convertFromUnicode: using Latin-1 for conversion, iconv_open failed
QIconvCodec::convertToUnicode: using Latin-1 for conversion, iconv_open failed
Unable to find symbols in icui18n
, but program does load, and I opened a pdf with it, and deleted 2 pages & it saved correctly.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Hey @mikewalsh thanks for these! They bailed me out in doing student evaluations for one of my organizations.

And it's a testament as to why to keep puppies or older puppies around, although my "older pup" is F96_CE4, these portables did not run on KLV-airedale, and Void did not have the missing library, they DID run on F96, and I needed to be able to enter boxes on entry box pdfs, which version4 did very nicely.

So, realizing that LibreOffice would not cut it, I said to myself, I bet ol' @mikewalsh will bail me out, and all is good now!

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Return to “Documents”