is a pet or SFS for GTK4 available for Bionic/Fossa?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

courtage

is a pet or SFS for GTK4 available for Bionic/Fossa?

Post by courtage »

There's a package I want to compile that has GTK4 dependencies.

(presumably a situation that will become increasingly common for the Puppy community?)

It would be incredibly convenient to have a GTK4 SFS available -- has anyone yet tried compiling GTK4 for Puppy & perhaps creating an SFS ?

thanks

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: is a pet or SFS for GTK4 available for Bionic/Fossa?

Post by rockedge »

courtage wrote:

presumably a situation that will become increasingly common for the Puppy community?

I have also been thinking that a gtk4 package to compile against in Puppy's would be beneficial.

Perhaps possible to put together an SFS with the gtk4 headers included. Needs some research on how to best proceed.

Update: I managed to update meson and ninja to begin to compile gtk4 libraries in F96-CE_4 but ran into a whole range of missing pieces. Maybe compile it on a Jammy Puppy type for more progress........but it was encouraging on how far the build went to start off with.

courtage

Post by courtage »

rockedge wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:36 pm

Update: I managed to update meson and ninja to begin to compile gtk4 libraries in F96-CE_4 but ran into a whole range of missing pieces. Maybe compile it on a Jammy Puppy type for more progress........but it was encouraging on how far the build went to start off with.

i hadn't seen this update before today.
Seems like a lot of work to do!
More, unfortunately, than I am willing to put in.
for the package I want I did try sucking down Ubuntu 22 Gtk4-dev etc, but ended up circling a dependency hell of other stuff.

Anyway, I hope there's a 22.04 Puppy with GTK-4 on the horizon ...

cheers

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Just as a bit of information, (sorry it doesn't help with Bionic or Fossa but..) I was able to compile GTK4 from the source tarball in BookwormPup64
This is version 4.8.3 which is the same as the official Debian Bookworm package. I did make a few tweaks to the meson options file such as disabling introspection but otherwise it went OK without having to add any DEV packages via apt (which surprised me a bit).

Courtage,
I am curious to know what package you were trying to compile against GTK4. I wanted to find something simple to do a test build with my GTK4 package installed.
I looked at dino (xmpp client) but that has a stack of other dependencies as well. Checkout of gMTP source code has a beta GTK4 build option but insists on one specific version (earlier than mine) of GTK4 so I could not use that.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

What is the program?

Link to it to download from?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

I think the GTK4 package I compiled in BookwormPup64 is working. I have uploaded it for testing and for anyone curious here:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/gtk-4.8. ... 4-bkwm.pet Main runtime package
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/gtk_DEV- ... 4-bkwm.pet Dev files needed for compiling
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/gtk_NLS- ... 4-bkwm.pet Language support locales

I was looking at the documentation page for GTK4 here:-
https://docs.gtk.org/gtk4/getting_started.html
Below I have attached a tarball of some small GTK4 test executables as described on that page which I compiled with my GTK4 package installed.
Obviously they depend on GTK4 so will not run if you don't have it installed.

Execute them from terminal (with GTK4 installed) and you will see that there is a warning about A11Y (accessibility)
Add the line:-
export GTK_A11Y='none'
to the file /etc/profile and restart X to remove these warnings
Note there is something similar regarding GTK3 at the bottom of /etc/profile so just add this underneath.

I would still like to know of other programs that have GTK4 as a requirement or as an option so I can test a bit more deeply.

Is there an official Ubuntu Focal build of GTK4 anywhere? Perhaps the other libraries in Focal were too old for it? The Jammy repos do have one, as does Slackware64 15.0 so maybe it is a case of having to use something later than FossaPup.

Attachments
gtk4test.jpg
gtk4test.jpg (20.24 KiB) Viewed 324 times
gtk4tests.tar.gz
(7.5 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

There was a short discussion on GTK4 in the KLs area of the forum, earlier; here

Its not particularly useful here, yet it is symbolic as modern distros in the PLDF are actively moving offerings into 2024, quickly.

By the end of this year, every major distro in the wild will have as a standard foundation:

• GTK 4/GRUB2 v2.12+/Pipewire+Wireplumber/Wayland/QT6

Our PLDF forum are actively moving to have all modern needs for the older AND newest PCs that members have. And more and more HDMI TVs will replace VGA/DVI monitors thruout.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@OscarTalks

I am using JammyPup64 and thought I would try your application as you mentioned that it was available in the Jammy Reps.

I did not complete the build as it needed additional libraries/dependencies.

However, I could see that it did recognise that requirement for GTK4 was fulfilled.

Thanks for the share :thumbup:

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Jasper,
Thanks for the report.
I was able to compile celluloid-0.26 in BookwormPup64 with my GTK4 package
This latest release of celluloid does now depend on libadwaita which I added using extracted .debs
There are some GTK warnings in terminal, not sure what the cause of those is, but it played the media files I tested it with.

Attachments
celluloid026gtk4.jpg
celluloid026gtk4.jpg (57.87 KiB) Viewed 181 times
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@OscarTalks

Looking forward to compiling some new applications with this in the tool bag :thumbup2:

Return to “Users”