Installation instruction for ClamTk

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

simfann

Installation instruction for ClamTk

Post by simfann »

As a newcomer of Puppy Linux (I use fossapup64-9.5) I installed ClamTk 6.02 from Puppy Package Manager, but it didn't work. In Puppy Linux discussion forum I only found a very old discussion (old forum), which didn't help. Now I've worked out through some readings in Internet and own tries a way, getting ClamTk to do its job. So I want to share this experience here for all newcomers by a short instruction:
1) Look for file "/initrd/pup_rw/usr/share/doc/clamav-freshclam/examples/freshclam.conf.sample"
2) Move this file to "/etc/clamav"
3) Rename "freshclam.conf.sample" to "freshclam.conf"
4) Open the file with Geany or similar program
5) Rename line "Example" to "#Example.AND"
6) Rename line "#DatabaseDirectory /var/lib/clamav" to "DatabaseDirectory /var/lib/clamav" or other path (best path is outside fossapup64save.2fs, for
example "DatabaseDirectory /mnt/home/clamav", so that fossapup64save.2fs doesn't increase in size)
7) Rename line "#DatabaseOwner clamav" to "DatabaseOwner root"
8) Rename line "#ConnectTimeout 60" to "ConnectTimeout 300" or similar
9) Optionally you can have a test of correct loading the actual virus signature by using console command "freshclam"
10) First start of ClamTk should always begin with loading the virus signature, even if you used step 9)

Last edited by simfann on Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vtpup

Re: Installation instruction for ClamTk

Post by vtpup »

simfann wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:33 pm

As a newcomer of Puppy Linux I installed ClamTk from Puppy Package Manager, but it didn't work. In Puppy Linux discussion forum I only found a very old discussion (old forum), which didn't help. Now I've worked out through some readings in Internet and own tries a way, getting ClamTk to do its job. So I want to share this experience here for all newcomers by a short instruction:
1) Look for file "/initrd/pup_rw/usr/share/doc/clamav-freshclam/examples/freshclam.conf.sample"
3) Rename "freshclam.conf.sample" in "freshclam.conf"
5) Rename line "Example" in "#Example.AND"
6) Rename line "#DatabaseDirectory /var/lib/clamav" in "DatabaseDirectory /var/lib/clamav" or other path (best path is outside fossapup64save.2fs, for
example "DatabaseDirectory /mnt/home/clamav", so that fossapup64save.2fs isn't blown up)
7) Rename line "#DatabaseOwner clamav" in "DatabaseOwner root"
8) Rename line "#ConnectTimeout 60" in "ConnectTimeout 300" or similar
9) Optionally you can have a test of correct loading the actual virus signature by using console command "freshclam"
10) First start of clamtk should always begin with loading the virus signature, even if you used step 9)

Very nice. Thank you for doing that

I think in your description the word "in" should be changed to the word "as" or "to"

And by "blown up" I think in you just mean rapidly increased in size. Yes?

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

:welcome: To Puppy Linux!

Because there are so many versions of Puppy Linux and no two are exactly the same.

Any topics you make needs to provide specific information on exactly what specific version of Puppy is being used.

That info is always needed!

The info you provide may work in several different Puppy versions, but it most likely will not.

Any of the software package managers like PPM need to first be updated before using them.
This updates the info used to know what software is in the repositories that it uses.

PPM is under configuration ->Update Database

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

simfann

Post by simfann »

Thanks for feedback. I have corrected my article.

vtpup wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:08 pm
simfann wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:33 pm

As a newcomer of Puppy Linux I installed ClamTk from Puppy Package Manager, but it didn't work. In Puppy Linux discussion forum I only found a very old discussion (old forum), which didn't help. Now I've worked out through some readings in Internet and own tries a way, getting ClamTk to do its job. So I want to share this experience here for all newcomers by a short instruction:
3) Rename "freshclam.conf.sample" in "freshclam.conf"
5) Rename line "Example" in "#Example.AND"
6) Rename line "#DatabaseDirectory /var/lib/clamav" in "DatabaseDirectory /var/lib/clamav" or other path (best path is outside fossapup64save.2fs, for
example "DatabaseDirectory /mnt/home/clamav", so that fossapup64save.2fs isn't blown up)
7) Rename line "#DatabaseOwner clamav" in "DatabaseOwner root"
8) Rename line "#ConnectTimeout 60" in "ConnectTimeout 300" or similar
10) First start of clamtk should always begin with loading the virus signature, even if you used step 9)

Very nice. Thank you for doing that

I think in your description the word "in" should be changed to the word "as" or "to"

And by "blown up" I think in you just mean rapidly increased in size. Yes?

simfann

Post by simfann »

Thanks for feedback. I have added now the missing infos! As newcomer I must apologize for this.

bigpup wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:06 am

:welcome: To Puppy Linux!

Because there are so many versions of Puppy Linux and no two are exactly the same.

Any topics you make needs to provide specific information on exactly what specific version of Puppy is being used.

That info is always needed!

The info you provide may work in several different Puppy versions, but it most likely will not.

Any of the software package managers like PPM need to first be updated before using them.
This updates the info used to know what software is in the repositories that it uses.

PPM is under configuration ->Update Database

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Just a heads up for members who use this software:

https://gitlab.com/dave_m/clamtk/-/issues/144

Return to “Beginners Help”