Can't connect to internet on BionicPup64 8.0 on chromebook

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

SJRouge91

Can't connect to internet on BionicPup64 8.0 on chromebook

Post by SJRouge91 »

Hi all, I just booted Bionic Pup (64 bit) on an HP Chromebook 11A G8 EE (board name Barla) chromebook via usb, after successfully using mrchromebox's firmware utility script; I did backup chrome os before attempting anything, but when I boot into puppy linux, I have no internet nor is the wireless card detected. after looking up the specs for the chromebook, it says it has the "Qualcomm Wireless-AC 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2 Combo, non-vPro" and I saw some network modules for qualcomm but after trying to load them theres still no detection and I don't know what else to do. If someone could help or give any suggestions I'd really appreciate it, otherwise I'll probably either have to restore and use chromeos again, or use another linux os and I really want to use bionic pup if I can help it as I like the look of it. Thanks in advance to any help and/or suggestions.

EDIT: Also, apologies mods if I posted to the wrong sub-forum, and the reason I did all this is because I wanted to use the chromebook as a "second monitor" so to speak, so if I'm in a game and need to look up something, I can just use the chromebook as opposed to minimizing the game on my main screen to search.

Last edited by SJRouge91 on Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikewalsh

Re: Can't connect to internet on BionicPup64 8.0 on chromebook

Post by mikewalsh »

@SJRouge91 :- Hallo, and :welcome: to the "kennels"!

I'm afraid I don't know the first thing about Chromebooks, but one of my colleagues does, since he has a couple himself. By mentioning his name - @bigpup - thus, he'll get a notification of a mention in this thread and - if he can - I'm sure he'll try to help. :)

Be patient. Our members come from all round the globe, so.....it's the "time zone" thing, y'see. Hang in there. Others will be about before TOO long....

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

SJRouge91

Post by SJRouge91 »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:09 am

@SJRouge91 :- Hallo, and :welcome: to the "kennels"!

I'm afraid I don't know the first thing about Chromebooks, but one of my colleagues does, since he has a couple himself. By mentioning his name - @bigpup - thus, he'll get a notification of a mention in this thread and - if he can - I'm sure he'll try to help. :)

Be patient. Our members come from all round the globe, so.....it's the "time zone" thing, y'see. Hang in there. Others will be about before TOO long....

Mike. ;)

Hi Mike, thank you very much for the reply, and I'll give him a mention!

SJRouge91

Post by SJRouge91 »

@bigpup Hi there, I was told by Mikewalsh that you might could help me with an issue I'm having with bionic pup on my chromebook; whenever you have a moment could you check out my thread, and give me your two cents? I would really appreciate it, and thank you in advance.

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@SJRouge91 - Would you please run some tests to help us determine what driver/firmware you may need.
Open a terminal (console), please maximise it, then run the following (& post outputs here):

lspci -nn | grep etwork (that starts with a lowercase L, with pipe symbol in middle - often shift & \ keys)

and later,

dmesg | grep irmware

Once that is known, bigpup can help with the finer details. Due to the age of Bionicpup, I suspect you are missing firmware, and the kernel may not be new enough to support needed firmware.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@ozsouth :-

Cheers for checking-in, Dave. I'd forgotten you run one as well..! :D

The "more the merrier", I say.....and of course, "Many hands make light work" (and all that jazz).

Mike. :thumbup:

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

SJRouge91

Post by SJRouge91 »

ozsouth wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:12 am

@SJRouge91 - Would you please run some tests to help us determine what driver/firmware you may need.
Open a terminal (console), please maximise it, then run the following (& post outputs here):

lspci -nn | grep etwork (that starts with a lowercase L, with pipe symbol in middle - often shift & \ keys)

and later,

dmesg | grep irmware

Once that is known, bigpup can help with the finer details. Due to the age of Bionicpup, I suspect you are missing firmware, and the kernel may not be new enough to support needed firmware.

Hi there, I didn't know bionic pup was an older os, if that's the case which puppy linux os is the most recent? I thought all of them were maintained and updated, but i'll take whichever one is the most maintained.

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@SJRouge91 - you could try this update of fossapup (F96CE4): viewtopic.php?p=85882#p85882

I suspect the very newest puppies wouldn't run on your system. We may still need the info I asked for anyway.

SJRouge91

Post by SJRouge91 »

ozsouth wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:55 am

@SJRouge91 - you could try this update of fossapup (F96CE4): viewtopic.php?p=85882#p85882

I suspect the very newest puppies wouldn't run on your system. We may still need the info I asked for anyway.

Really? That was the reason I went with puppy linux was because it was lightweight, and could run on just about anything; my initial choice was linux mint, but ok I'll run those commands in a terminal as soon as im done with this game. in a mission online and can't pause it.

SJRouge91

Post by SJRouge91 »

ozsouth wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:55 am

ok for the lspci command I got 01:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device [10ec:c822]

and for the dmesg I got [firmware bug] : cpu 0, invalid threshold interrupt offset 1 for bank 4, block 0 (MSR00000413=0xd000000001000000)
[firmware bug] : acpi mwait c-state 0x0 not supported by hw (0x0)
[firmware bug] : acpi mwait c-state 0x0 not supported by hw (0x0)
GHES : failed to enable apei firmware first mode.
elan_i2c i2c-ELAN0000 : 00 : Elan Touchpad : Module ID : 0x0cd, Firmware : 0x0002, IAP : 0x0009
[drm] Found VUD firmware Version : 1.43 Family ID : 15
[drm] Found VCE firmware Version : 52.0 Binary ID : 3

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@SJRouge91 - ok, your wireless chip (from the lspci command) is rtl8822ce. You need a kernel-specific driver, which I can hunt down. Might be tomorrow.
Note: that F96CE4 puppy I suggested earlier has the driver & firmware included. Well worth a try. Could save a lot of messing around.

SJRouge91

Post by SJRouge91 »

ozsouth wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:25 am

@SJRouge91 - ok, your wireless chip (from the lspci command) is rtl8822ce. You need a kernel-specific driver, which I can hunt down. Might be tomorrow.
Note: that F96CE4 puppy I suggested earlier has the driver & firmware included. Well worth a try. Could save a lot of messing around.

ok then, i'll give that pup a try and hopefully everything works out, will report back on results. thanks!

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Ozsouth is the Puppy Linux expert on finding and getting WIFI hardware drivers and firmware.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You need to understand something about Puppy Linux and the different versions offered.

Because Puppy is small in size, around 300 to 700MB. (not 3 or 4 GB) It cannot have all possible software in it, to support all possible computers.
WIFI hardware is the hardest to try and provide needed software for.
That hardware constantly changes.
We try to provide what software is needed for the most common WIFI hardware.
But when the hardware was available and when the Puppy version was released, is a factor.
Hard to provide software for hardware that did not exist, when the Puppy version was released.

So WIFI hardware needed drivers and firmware, is a constant issue, if the hardware is new, or very new.
Usually needs a driver compiled for the kernel and firmware added.

If you have the older hardware that is fully supported in an older Puppy version.
It is still a good fully working Puppy version you could use.

No two Puppy versions are exactly the same.
You may like one better than others.
So older and newer Puppy versions are kept available to try and use.

Puppy does not do rolling updates of Puppy versions.

To support newer computers and hardware.
A newer version of Puppy is produced and released.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

For Puppy and ChromeBooks.

This is a good topic to read:
viewtopic.php?t=431

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Beginners Help”